Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Engine tin number stamps, ..could this be the answer?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Dec 2 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

Not to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) , as this keeps coming up like a feline's hairball, but,

a long-time, respected PORSCHE dealer told me recently that the numbers on the engine tin indicate the engine (1.7, 1.8, 2.0) and application (export, US 49-state, US-Ca, etc.). A 1970 and a 1971 /4 are known to have this #. Any other early /4s have this on the engine tin?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Pat Garvey
post Dec 3 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 2 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Not to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) , as this keeps coming up like a feline's hairball, but,

a long-time, respected PORSCHE dealer told me recently that the numbers on the engine tin indicate the engine (1.7, 1.8, 2.0) and application (export, US 49-state, US-Ca, etc.). A 1970 and a 1971 /4 are known to have this #. Any other early /4s have this on the engine tin?

So....what about the other years? Do they have a list (official or not)?

Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!

Please don't tease us!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 4 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #3

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/PLM.htm

See above for Jeff's collection. While 022 at least looks promising, the rest do not even seem to have a pattern. Perhaps the purpose of the marking changed several times. Just need lots more info.
+Quote Post
warrenporsche
post Dec 4 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,456

I would suspect they are lot numbers supplied by the vendors during production. The best way to test this theory is to have enough to see if they are basically chronologically sequential ( is that even a word?!) . But I am guessing
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 4 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Dec 4 2006, 09:38 PM) *

I would suspect they are lot numbers supplied by the vendors during production. The best way to test this theory is to have enough to see if they are basically chronologically sequential ( is that even a word?!) . But I am guessing

Yeah, but how do you find enought 914's that still have the numbers. So many have been junked or restored, without preservation of the numbers.

I know my '72 "had" 610 on it before the tin was resprayed many years ago, but what did it mean? We go over & over with this thread & have yet to find a solution.
+Quote Post
warrenporsche
post Dec 4 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,456

If everyone wil post the year, engine type and numbers on thier tin ( if it is still there) and then nail the thread then it should be easy to organize the list and know for sure what the story is. If you can get just 30-40 cars trust me, a pattern WILL emerge.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Dec 11 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #7

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

<!-- quoteo(post=829662:date=Dec 4 2006, 06:34 PM:name=warrenporsche) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Dec 4 2006, 06:34 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
If everyone wil post the year, engine type and numbers on thier tin ( if it is still there) and then nail the thread then it should be easy to organize the list and know for sure what the story is. If you can get just 30-40 cars trust me, a pattern WILL emerge.
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

1973 chassis with a 2.0 motor transplant #925 Engine # GC004418

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 12 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #8

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Thanks for the photo and info, Dion, I will add it to my data. Can you tell me more info from your engine bay sticker above the relay panel? Engine code (should be EA or EB)? If no sticker...do you know if your car is a CA-issue or 49-state version? The label would say and I think it is significant to what these codes mean.

Also, do you know if your engine or tin is the original to your car? Whats the engine serial number? I show a 925 tin code belonging to a 1976 2.0L GC code engine (49-state), not a 73 1.7L.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 12 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 12 2006, 05:33 PM) *

Thanks for the photo and info, Dion, I will add it to my data. Can you tell me more info from your engine bay sticker above the relay panel? Engine code (should be EA or EB)? If no sticker...do you know if your car is a CA-issue or 49-state version? The label would say and I think it is significant to what these codes mean.

Also, do you know if your engine or tin is the original to your car? Whats the engine serial number? I show a 925 tin code belonging to a 1976 2.0L GC code engine (49-state), not a 73 1.7L.

Jeff,

I'll register it here & now. As you know, my engine code ('72) is EA. The tun stamp was "610". It's gone now, but I jotted it into my records when I re-did the tin. Easy to remeber for me because it's the same as my area code.

BTW, though the number is a moving one, this was my post #914!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 13 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have two sets of 1.7L engine tin with "610" on them. One was a "W" 1970 engine and the other was a 72 1.7l EA.
I'll post a pic later sometime....
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Dec 24 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

I have a '74 S/N 4742903058, GA 2.0l.... "621" code...

-- Rob
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 25 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #12

If nothing else, we're gathering history here. Too bad we don't know what it means. We will, though, we will. Will have spent more time on this than Tod did on re-creating rocker pins before it's over

By the way - Tod whatever became of you. No posts for a long time.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 4 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #13

RN

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 12 2006, 12:33 PM) *

Jeff here is a pic of the original decal 73 chassis with 1.7L motor

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 4 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #14

RN

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 12 2006, 05:23 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=834605:date=Dec 12 2006, 05:33 PM:name=Jeff Bowlsby) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 12 2006, 05:33 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->

<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Jeff,

I'll register it here & now. As you know, my engine code ('72) is EA. The tun stamp was "610". It's gone now, but I jotted it into my records when I re-did the tin. Easy to remeber for me because it's the same as my area code.

BTW, though the number is a moving one, this was my post #914!

If I remember correctly, I believe #610 was on my 1.7L tin from 1973,cheers,Dion
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jan 18 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I just finished a long distance conversation with a Porsche Factory service rep who worked for Porsche from 1959 thru 1977. After that, he transfered to the Audi division, then went on to work for the VW organization. My loose professional affiliation with a VW dealership was what led me to him. He had retired several years ago, and unfortunately no longer has any of his Porsche reference material.

His recollection of the significance of the engine tin stamping was to indicate the "origin of (the) parts location". Before inventory was bar-coded and tracked by computer (when our 914s were manufactured), the stamps on various parts were to show where (factory or parts source) that the particular part came from. Obviously, small parts such as tune up items, cables, lenses, interior bits and pieces oft times came to us, the ultimate user, with the familiar little paper tag attached to them. Without my prompting, he recalled how the "GA" designation indicated a "stocking location". From our conversation, it appearred that these obscure white stamps on our engine tin mattered not one bit to anyone after the car was assembled. These stamps didn't concern dealer service, parts or, of course , the sales department.

From what I can gather, the engine tin numbers just told the inventory control personel at the assembly plant in Osnabruck where these parts came from.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Jan 18 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #16

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 18 2007, 12:40 PM) *

From what I can gather, the engine tin numbers just told the inventory control personel at the assembly plant in Osnabruck where these parts came from.

So the implication being that the engines came from more than one VW factory? Hm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jan 18 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 18 2007, 01:18 PM) *

So the implication being that the engines came from more than one VW factory? Hm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

The stamped number on the engine tin would probably be applicable to the tin, rather than the engine. The engine assembly in all probability arrived on the line with a tag or sticker attached. The stamp on the tin would reference either the part source (the warehouse, parts depot or VW plant of manufacture) or the applicable vendor (i.e. BOSCH, ATE, HELLA, etc.). Different originating points would account for the various, though identical or sometimes quite similar tin #s that we have seen thus far.

It would not surprise me either that more than one VW factory supplied engines to the Karmenn factory in Osnabruck for installation in the 914.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 18 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 18 2007, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 18 2007, 01:18 PM) *

The stamped number on the engine tin would probably be applicable to the tin, rather than the engine. The engine assembly in all probability arrived on the line with a tag or sticker attached. The stamp on the tin would reference either the part source (the warehouse, parts depot or VW plant of manufacture) or the applicable vendor (i.e. BOSCH, ATE, HELLA, etc.). Different originating points would account for the various, though identical or sometimes quite similar tin #s that we have seen thus far.

It would not surprise me either that more than one VW factory supplied engines to the Karmenn factory in Osnabruck for installation in the 914.

So....we've made a big deal about just another stuek (sp)?
+Quote Post
type4org
post Jan 19 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #19

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 18 2007, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 18 2007, 07:13 PM) *

So....we've made a big deal about just another stuek (sp)?

If it's just about the tin, then, well, that's boring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 19 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #20

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Somehow I don't think it is only about the tin. They are parts like any other. Why would every piece get indiviually marked in that fashion. I can see it being an inspectors mark, or an assemblers mark on a finished engine.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:51 AM