Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elgin Cams, for a 2.0L 4 cylinder
DanT
post Dec 5 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #1

Going back to the Dark Side!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

anyone built a 2.0L with D-jet using one of these cams?

Like the results?

Hated it?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 5 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

headrage had a djet+ cam from them....

mild performance cam....

ask him what he thought of it..... it idled smooth from what i remember

i bet the 9550 or raby cam will be better -
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 5 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #3

Just trying to get all the info I can before I lay out my money for a new cam for my motor build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 5 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

i hear ya -

just seems raby has the most info and R/D time on cams....and most known combos
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 5 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Aaron. But for a stock FI motor, you probably have your pick of distributors. Might want to quiz them about lifters. See if they had any problems. If they say they've never had problems, I'd get nervous. Seemed like there was awhile there that EVERYONE was having problems. I know some of the things Jake has done to solve his lifter issues and I'd be surprised if any of the cam manufacturers were matching that level.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Dec 5 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

I had the Elgin 6408 cam with D-jet and liked it. Idled smooth and widened the power band a tad on both the top and bottom.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 5 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

There is no cam researched as thoroughly for D jet than my 9550..

I know some of the things Jake has done to solve his lifter issues and I'd be surprised if any of the cam manufacturers were matching that level.

Remember that Elgin doesn't build Type 4 engines- :-)

Cam grinders in general don't touch engines- they rely on numbers to choose a grind- I don't.

You won't beat the 9550 in a D jet application and you won't find a cam/lifter set up thats as well engineered in compatibility as what I offer.
Read this page to see what I went through for 18 months to back up this statement.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/lifters.htm#Spintron
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Dec 5 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Go for the 9550 cam, I have installed it in three engines so far. Idles good, smooth hp improved over stock.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 5 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #9

THanks all,
Jake I will be getting in touch with you soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 5 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

Might want to quiz them about lifters. See if they had any problems. If they say they've never had problems, I'd get nervous. Seemed like there was awhile there that EVERYONE was having problems. I know some of the things Jake has done to solve his lifter issues and I'd be surprised if any of the cam manufacturers were matching that level.

yes, -- but frankly, i don't think we ever got the full story about the cam/lifter scare a couple years back. i certainly don't have the whole story, so i won't start speaking out of my ass, but suffice it to say that i do believe it was at least somewhat manufacterer/supplier specific.

i only mention this because at the time, i was building a T4 engine. i went with elgin, and felt (still feel) that it was the right decision for me at the time. ceramic lifters were both $$$ and extremely scarce. today i'd go with a jake grind, no question 'bout it.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 5 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

The issues were numerous stemming from crappy lifters with the wrong radii on their crowns to incorrect chilling of some cam billets..

It cost me12K bucks to do the part of the testsing that I paid for myself, the rest of the 20K was split up between LN Enginerings and individual donations from guys like 914 club members.

Cam and lifter failures can still bite someone in the ass if they have a day of bad luck, but we have only lost two of ours since February 2005. We sell several hundred cam and lifter sets each year..

My cams are designed specifically for their matched lifters and vice versa, using one without the other is certain death to the engine. Thats the only way we were able to correct the issue...

Our lifters are Ion Nitrided, parkerized and cryoed and most importantly they have the proper crown radius for the camshaft lobe taper.
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Dec 5 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

Dema Elgin has been grinding cams for years. I think he started in the 60's, I know for sure he was grinding cams in the early 70's. He is very knowledgable. Check out his site: Elgin Cams. I just purchased one and will let you know next summer how I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 5 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #13

Professional Lawn Dart

wow - tons of info on that site

this perked my interest

PORSCHE 914 PROFILES

On the 7208 and wilder grinds we recommend having a slot cut down the middle of the timing gear to create two rows of teeth. This helps reduce oil throw off and oil foaming at high rpms.

Lifters must always be reconditioned or replaced. Beware of aftermarket 914 lifters, some of them are of very poor quality.
+Quote Post
Scott-thundercat
post Dec 6 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,049

havent run one in a porsche, but i had one in my big block chevy and loved it. perfect cam- good gas mileage more power and smooth idle. hard to beat any of that (well it wasnt smooooooth, it was lumpy enough to enjoy but still have great vacuuum.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 6 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Be careful here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Elgin has been desiging/grinding cams and running his engine dyno longer than Jake has been alive. Elgin also TEACHES at night.

Less than 10 feet from the main office is one of the TOP head porters in all of NorCal (Michael Stimpson)

His grinds are products of 30 years of development. HPH has used nothing but Elgin in his race cars and street cars.

The Orginal "Foley" header was built and tested at Elgins on Bontempi built injected 2.0's.

The Garretson IMSA 914's?? Elgin cams.

Bontempi will tell you right now that he has had NO cam failures with Elgin cams and Elgin reground lifters. I used to deliver lifters to Elgin, boxes and boxes at a time. He would always send me back with "junk" lifters that appeared fine to me, but didnt meet a certain requirement he had prior to "reground"

(he does build engines FYI) just doesnt do 4cyl's any more.

Anyone here ever see Steve Nieslony's 914 run a AutoX event? Elgin Cam/Lifters/Pete Weber header....on Carbs.. 2.0

B
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 6 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #16

Engine Surgeon

Brad I have used his cams in street engines and race engines... I still use ONE of his grinds with very good results.

Elgin has been desiging/grinding cams and running his engine dyno longer than Jake has been alive

I absolutely resent this remark, who cares what he dopes at night, who cares who his neighbor is?

I supersede many individuals that have been in business longer than I have been alive, it happens daily. Their experience is what hurts them most of the time because it impedes their desire to explore. A good example of this is in Brad's post... How many years ago were all those things being developed and raced??? If you knew how many engines I get in this shop that are fucked up and totally msconfigured from guys that have "Been doing this for 30 years" you'd shit a brick!

The reason I don't use more Elgin cams is the fact that he won't easily work with me to create the things that I want to try. When you call Elgin and try to do something outside the box with these engines in short order you'll be thinking like you were in 1974 again- I have tried it on quite a few occasions.

Our styles of engine design with the Type 4 are not on the same level- Thats all... I don't work with anyone that is stuck in the 70s, its just plain counterproductive.

(he does build engines FYI) just doesnt do 4cyl's any more.

...Exactly. Thats why his effectiveness will never equal what it did the day he stopped building them. Its impossible to fully understand how a cam grind works without direct experience with it in a vast amount of differing combinations.

Bontempi will tell you right now that he has had NO cam failures with Elgin cams and Elgin reground lifters

That just means that he hasn't used enough. Thats just like people that have never scattered an engine, they haven't built enough... Failures happen, when you use enough of a component you will get a bad one.

Reasons like this are why my cam grinding is moving 100% in house as soon as I can find a deal on a CNC grinder.

+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Dec 6 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #17

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I got my Elgin 330-1 and matching lifters through HPH almost 2 years ago when Brad was working there with Rich. It was the right decision for me at the time given the money involved and what we knew then about the apparent state of cams & lifters.

I'm running stock D-Jet and have been quite happy with the combination. If I were building my 2.0L Type IV now I'm sure I'd be looking hard at Jake's cams, but I wouldn't feel bad about choosing the Elgin combination either.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 7 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I absolutely resent this remark, who cares what he dopes at night,

He teaches automotive.. meaning he puts in the same amount hours you do!!

I totally agree 100% about him being stuck in the 70's..LOL

He has good cam designs for certain heads/piston/flow combinations.

Yes. You have gone past this point he reached. You did this a long time ago!

Try this one on for size: I'd put a set of Stimpson ported heads up against Lynn's any day!! LOL (if I could afford a set of his heads..LOL

B
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 7 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Try this one on for size: I'd put a set of Stimpson ported heads up against Lynn's any day!! LOL (if I could afford a set of his heads..LOL

We already have... Several of his customers have "Upgraded". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 7 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #20

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:30 PM