Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another thing I've been working on..., Another step towards fitting an LT1 into a 914
bondo
post Dec 6 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I call this my Flux Capacitor because "It's what makes an LT1 in a 914 possible". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In case you don't know, an LT1 is very much like a gen I SBC. The main dinmensional differences are the intake manifold and the water pump. The intake manifold issue has been solved (flipped 180 degrees). The water pump was trickier. It sticks out of the front of the engine enough that it just won't fit.

An LT1 water pump is a strange beast. It bolts to the block, and is driven off the camshaft. An LT1 is reverse cooled, so cold water is fed to the heads and then goes to the block. Instead of the block having one port on each side where the water pump bolts on, it has two. The top one is the inlet, and feeds directly into the head. The lower one is the outlet. The water pump has an integral bypassing thermostat. Instead of blocking the flow until the engine is warm, it continuously circulates the coolant through the engine but bypasses the radiator until the thermostat opens.

I wanted to keep the reverse cooling and the bypassing thermostat, so I put a commercially available electric conversion on the pump and modified it for relocation to the front trunk (details in another thread somewhere).

The part I just made uses the flanges off the old water pump and allows hoses to be connected to them. It's designed to fit into the vertical divot in the middle of the firewall. It sticks out less than the crankshaft pulley. I will probably end up with the engine a little farther back than in a "normal" V8 conversion, but that's why I made a cable shifter... I can put the engine wherever I want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

First, pics of the new part:

Attached Image

Attached Image

And this is what the stock water pump looks like on the engine:

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Dec 6 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #2

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Nice! Needs to be anodized black to match your other aluminum parts though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 6 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Cool stuff. Isn't having a TIG around handy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Dec 6 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 5 2006, 10:59 PM) *

Cool stuff. Isn't having a TIG around handy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

YES! Unfortunately I was only able to tack it together at home due to breaker limitations (30A). I had to do the real welding at work. But now I'm about 100x better at welding aluminum than I was before I started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Dec 6 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Dec 5 2006, 10:50 PM) *

Nice! Needs to be anodized black to match your other aluminum parts though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Tony

The flanges are not an anodizable alloy so it will get powdercoated instead.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Dec 6 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great work bondo!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 04:02 AM