Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's back, 7+ month rebuild done
pbanders
post Dec 6 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

I just picked up my 2.0L after a LOONNNGGG rebuild process. Just a fairly stock rebuild, with Euro pistons, stock cam, stock D-Jet. I'll post some pics to my site later. So far, so good. Good power, steady idle. I'll dial it in a bit more this week when I get the time.

I'm also planning on characterizing the engine mechanical state as best I can and putting the data up on my web site. I want to provide other 914 owners with a set of base compression figures and intake manifold vaccum characteristics that they can use to compare to the condition of their engine. Many of the running problems often attributed to ignition and to the FI system are actually due to a tired engine, with compression and vacuum issues. While good compression numbers are well-known, the intake manifold vacuum characteristics aren't as well documented. I have a precision Fluke vacuum/pressure sensor that I plan to use for this to assure accuracy.

Well, that's the good news. The bad news is that my mechanic, Jack Doverspike of Stuttgart Southwest, here in Phoenix, is in the hospital, looks like he's going to get a quaduple bypass (hope it wasn't my car that did it). Anyone who knows Jack knows that he's a great guy, and we all are wishing him the best. I'll post any info I have on how Jack is doing when I get it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great news on getting your car back and running. That will be some very good info on a fresh engine with your testing.

Sorry to hear about Jack, hope he makes a speedy recovery!
+Quote Post
Mid_Engine_914
post Dec 6 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,888

Congrats. If anyone can dial in the f/i, it's you. It also would be nice to see a dyno graph showing the A/F ratio throughout the rpm range and how well the d-jet meters the fuel...
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Dec 6 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Dec 6 2006, 02:50 PM) *

Congrats. If anyone can dial in the f/i, it's you. It also would be nice to see a dyno graph showing the A/F ratio throughout the rpm range and how well the d-jet meters the fuel...

I'm pretty sure Jake Raby's posted that data before, or has it on his website. What I haven't seen from anyone are figures for intake manifold vacuum at idle and under load conditions. Since the MPS is depending on the vacuum level for metering, seeing what the correct value is at idle will help in assessing if someone's engine is in good enough shape for the D-Jet to be expected to work correctly.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Dec 6 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brad, I think I have a VDO vacuum gauge rolling around my garage if you want to do it for load testing.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Dec 6 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #6

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thats great, I'm about to build the same motor. Those stats will help me greatly.. I have a NEW mps, ECU is rebuilt and matches the MPS. Will be a DJet setup with Euro pistons, stock cam, etc.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 6 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Awesome!

I'll add that it's great to see you posting here Brad.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:00 AM