Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> which compressor for the garage???
anthony
post Mar 8 2003, 06:26 PM
Post #1

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I was kind of settled on the Sears Craftsman 6hp 30 gallon 150psi vertical tank unit. It's specs are 8.6 scfm at 40psi and 6.4 scfm at 90 psi. Prices is usually about $280 on sale. I believe that Porter Cable makes these units for Sears.

On the plus side it has plenty of power for pretty much everything I'd need it for. On the down side, if I ever wanted to set up a home-brew spray booth I don't think it will be enough. Lots of guns say they want like 10 scfm. It's also heavy - 150 pounds. It has wheels and is moveable but it's not what I'd call portable.

So then I was thinking that since I don't have any immediate plans for painting or the funds for the next level of compressor that maybe I should go a notch lower. I can get a 15 gallon 3hp, 4.9 scfm at 40psi, 3.5scfm at 90psi compressor for around $180. It seems like something like this would still run most everything I'd need in my garage and be lighter in weight (75 pounds) and a little more portable. What do you guys think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 8 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Anthony,

I've been looking and picked out a Porter Cable at Lowe's for around $400 that runs on 220.
This is my opinion.
Get a unit with a separate compressor and pump. These run MUCH, MUCH quieter than the all-in-one designs.
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 8 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Fear the Jack Stands

Group: Members
Member No.: 154

I have a 25 gal 4.5 hp Campbell Hausfeld w/ a cast iron pump. I have done some painting w/ it and it works fine.

From my experience you want to stay away from the units that are direct drive w/ an alluminum pump. They turn at a high rpm & make so much noise they will drive you out of the garage.

Mark

73 2.0
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 8 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Wouldn't that be pretty much all the lower priced compressors? I mean the ones that don't have a separate motor and drive belt? The ones I've seen so far don't seem to mention a cast iron pump as a feature.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 9 2003, 08:11 AM
Post #5

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I've seen a smaller - 25 gallon or so Porter Cable horizontal portable that was separate. I think it was in the $300 - $325 range. I can't remember for sure and don't know the model #.

I might go do some research at Porter-Cable.com
+Quote Post
mr914
post Mar 9 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #6

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

I have a 5 1/2 HP Campbell Hausfeld w/ a cast iron pump an d a 60 gal tank. I got mine from Lowe's about 3 years ago for about $400.

If you are planning on doing any bodywork or sand blasting. Go for a compressor with a larger tank and more cfm. A die grinder or a DA sander will use between 7 and 11 cfm depending on model.

If you are just going to use it for air ratchets, inpact guns and nailers (around the house) then a smaller unit would be fine.

Good luck on your quest...
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Mar 9 2003, 11:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 178

I gots a 2 hp 8 gallon compressor from harbor Freight, I paid $99 for it. It works great at fillin up tires and stuff, but my 1/2" impact gun can empty it fast, my peanut grinder kills it in 10 seconds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
maybe iffn I bought 4 of em..........
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 9 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #8

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Go with the biggest tank and a cast iron head unit you can afford. Smaller tank and your tools won't run for long. Aluminum units will wear out faster. Or wait till you have the $$ for the one you want/need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 9 2003, 02:46 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4

I have a 20 gal 4.5 hp Campbell Hausfeld "extreme duty" w/ a cast iron pump for sale, little use, if you are interested. 50 ft hose, tips, and a water filter included. must sell as I am moving. if you want something cheap send me an email.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 9 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #10

2270 club

Sounds great, email sent!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:44 AM