Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ah, the joys of removing the undercoating
ChrisReale
post Mar 8 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

This stuff is foul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) . Took me hour and a half to remove the undercoat in the front left wheel well. The stuff was old and crunchy, so I just kind of chiseled it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) . Once I get it all off, should i leave it bare, or paint it. If I do paint it, would you say black por-15, or somethijng else?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 8 2003, 09:31 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Is your paint coming up with the schmutz (undercoat)? I have had decent luck chipping it up without disturbing the factory paint too much. If you're getting down to bare metal, then some kind of coating obviously would be a good plan. How well does POR-15 hold up to sandblasting, heat, and water? I have only used it on enclosed areas so far.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Mar 9 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

The original paint is seeming to be intact, and in quite fine condition. However, its metallic silver, and the car has since been painted guards red (not by me!!). I thinkl Por-15, if done correctly (Metal Ready then paint) works great in exterior applications. I have a nice pile of this undercoat shit that I am going to save and weigh to see how faster it will make me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 9 2003, 02:00 AM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

undercoating is a bitch. but i was recently advised by scott yeaman (a fellow 914 racer and body-shop owner) who is currently painting my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (thanx scott!) that undercoating helps preventing the FG flares from cracking because it absorbes some of the impact from road-debris and stones that hit the inner fender. i had fine cracks on the seam between metal and FG and the FG itselfs in several spots and he recommened a thick layer of undercoating on the FG part.

Andy
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Mar 9 2003, 08:03 AM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I had some luck with softening the undercoating with gentle application of a heat gun.

My car having been in the midwest, there were several layers of the stuff. I think the DAPO was a little over-zealous.

I didn't remove all of it, though, just where I needed to do some welding. I covered the area with POR-15, and then topped it with 3M spray undercoating.

Good luck,
Rusty
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:57 AM