Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WTF, 914club website down?
warrenoliver
post Jan 3 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I just tried to get on the 914club website. Is it down, or is it just me?

Warrenoliver
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 32)
cooltimes
post Jan 3 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

QUOTE(buzzard @ Jan 3 2007, 03:12 PM) *

I admit I am new to the 914 Club/World and was away for a couple weeks...but what happened here. I get back and get the notice of the launch of 914World and I assumed it was replacing/upgrading the 914Club site.

Obviously I am missing something ...someone care to fill me in. Thanks

Confusion. Something on the nature of finding out that 911 was a VW/Pcar venture and the 914 was pure Pcar venture. Software went beserk and made Andy's hair grow too fast. Mohawk became a MoEagle. IPB wanted a daily haircut to keep it all manageable. B wanted the shaved locks but all the other admin's say they had 1st dibs. 914World clubbed the clobber and clubby then waxed on Z. Not being like a real rabbit, the carrot that dangled became real tangy like a 914 long, full of molly holes, that no dignified 914 Zrabbit could aquire a taste for so the 914World popped the cork on the bubbly and here we all are cheering, it's 2007.
For need of a better explanation, better see what Slit's writes.

MikeWho?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 3 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

914club.com is back with historical content and original Login ID's
+Quote Post
buzzard
post Jan 3 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,136

Thanks for the brief explanation , I know I came late to the split , but I thought a simple explanation was not too much to ask for.

I had searched through 3 pages of posts prior to your reply , assuming someone else had asked the question, and sure enough found lots of detail.

The odd part was the way the new club was announced , accessing the old club email addresses , anouncing the new club in a format that would leave most believing that the 914Club had gone the way of the Dodo.

Its not a shot at 914World, I just think a more detailed explanation should have been part of the email. I see a lot of familiar names here , as well as similar great expertise on teeners and virtually the exact same content.

I have enjoyed my brief time in the 914 communitee and clearly just want to interact with people who love these cars. I know the political BS is the reality whenever you get a large group together ..... it is a shame when it splits up a solid communitee.

Right now I will continue to participate in good faith , and hopefully can continue to learn without having to juggle 2, 3 , 4 sites.

Cheers
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 3 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I for one am happy to see that Brad and Co were able to bring the content back online. I wish them success.

For a bit of background...

The two people who ran the old 914Club site decided to part ways. Rather than having a long, drawn-out legal battle regarding the 'lawful' owner of the content, both parties agreed that a fair solution was to clone the information. The content you see on 914World.com is here as a result of that agreement. The 914Club LLC has received a duplicate copy of the content as it was at the time of the dispute (sent on Dec. 22, 2006). Despite rumors that you might have heard, no data was ever stolen or lost.

The 914World leadership team is comprised of SirAndy (currently retired), McMark, Seanery, MikeZ, Gint, Aaron Cox, Eric_Shea, ClayPerrine and Lawrence. The core group of volunteer admins have been serving the 914 community for some time and look forward to continuing that service. Our primary interest is in keeping the information free and letting the membership shape the community, without becoming a commercially oriented site.

We recognize that this turn of events has been difficult for the community, but unfortunately there was no way around the ethical differences that ultimately caused the split. The 914World.com leadership team has no quarrel with any other forums, we'd rather leave the past behind and focus on the people and our cars.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jan 3 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #25

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Well said, Mark. I know your statement represents the beliefs of the entire 914World leadership team.

Cheers,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
buzzard
post Jan 3 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,136

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 3 2007, 05:52 PM) *

Well said, Mark. I know your statement represents the beliefs of the entire 914World leadership team.

Cheers,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Thanks Mark and Rusty

I appreciate the candor, and understand the history now.
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jan 3 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #27

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2007, 12:13 PM) *

I'm sure it's a hassle trying to integrate a DB made for IPB version 2.1.7 into a version 2.2.1 board. Each IPB upgrade they change the DB layout slightly and 2.2.1 was a big upgrade. If I were them, I would set up a 2.1.7 server, import the data, run the upgrader for 2.2.1 and then try and import the data. It looks like they just tried to manually force it in. Which has been a PITA every time I've tried it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 3 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #28

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2007, 03:47 PM) *

I for one am happy to see that Brad and Co were able to bring the content back online. I wish them success.

The two people who ran the old 914Club site decided to part ways. Rather than having a long, drawn-out legal battle regarding the 'lawful' owner of the content, both parties agreed that a fair solution was to clone the information. The content you see on 914World.com is here as a result of that agreement. The 914Club LLC has received a duplicate copy of the content as it was at the time of the dispute (sent on Dec. 22, 2006). Despite rumors that you might have heard, no data was ever stolen or lost.

The 914World leadership team is comprised of SirAndy (currently retired), McMark, Seanery, MikeZ, Gint, Aaron Cox, Eric_Shea, ClayPerrine and Lawrence. The core group of volunteer admins have been serving the 914 community for some time and look forward to continuing that service. Our primary interest is in keeping the information free and letting the membership shape the community, without becoming a commercially oriented site.

We recognize that this turn of events has been difficult for the community, but unfortunately there was no way around the ethical differences that ultimately caused the split. The 914World.com leadership team has no quarrel with any other forums, we'd rather leave the past behind and focus on the people and our cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Maybe we should nail that or put it in the
914World Mission Statement thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
wilchek
post Jan 3 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,177

This is the site for 914 owners period......
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 3 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #30

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(wilchek @ Jan 3 2007, 04:45 PM) *

This is the site for 914 owners period......

How can you say that? You have two sites that are 98% the same.

Seems this whole thing could/should have been handled better.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 3 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #31

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2007, 05:13 PM) *

I'm sure it's a hassle trying to integrate a DB made for IPB version 2.1.7 into a version 2.2.1 board. Each IPB upgrade they change the DB layout slightly and 2.2.1 was a big upgrade. If I were them, I would set up a 2.1.7 server, import the data, run the upgrader for 2.2.1 and then try and import the data. It looks like they just tried to manually force it in. Which has been a PITA every time I've tried it.

Yeah Mark, know what your saying!

Every time I try to update from Frazzle 6.2.3.5 I have the same prob, which is why I've gone over to Blofutz 2.2 - easier to update & makes the users pullout their eyebrows. Howvwer, the 6.1 version of Slimebucket is the best, because you can actually cause universal chaos by stopping all oil flow from the mideast.

Seriously, what the hell did you say? Never mind, I'm too old & stupid to understand. But, I'm impressed! You 'da
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 3 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 3 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #33

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2007, 05:47 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:36 PM