Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front chrome 914-GT bumper?
burton73
post Jan 6 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #1

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Where do you get a front chrome 914-GT bumper notched for oil cooler?
Can you purchase them or do you have to have them made from a regular bumper?
Are there any steel valances notched for oil cooler and flared?

Thanks,

Bob Burton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jan 6 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

About 2 years ago, I was looking for the same thing, had no luck at that time. I settled for a fiberglass valance that was flared and notched for the oil cooler inlet that was supplied from Getty. I believe that they have now sold off their 914 molds to MA Shaw, so you may also check with them.

As far as the bumper, I originally used the fiberglass notched bumper that was supplied when I purchased the valance, but was not too happy with such a lighweight bumper on a street car, so I modified my stock bumper. You can cut a notch on the bottom of the stock bumper, then weld in new metal to finish off the new opening. Mine was painted black, but with enough metal finishing, I'm sure you could get it plated as well when you're done.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 6 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

The only two bumpers I know of are in the Porsche museum. One had an oval cut out and the other was rectangular. I you want the bumper or steel valance you will have to make them. AIR makes the front valance in fiberglass.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 6 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #4

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 6 2007, 03:07 PM) *

The only two bumpers I know of are in the Porsche museum. One had an oval cut out and the other was rectangular. I you want the bumper or steel valance you will have to make them. AIR makes the front valance in fiberglass.

You guys are on it. My current bumper is not damaged just needs cleaning. It is black so plating ( after much metal finishing as you say) after cutting and welding the lip should work. If I get the Glass valance with flares and make the bumper notch to fit I should be looking good.

Thanks 914 bros.

Bob Burton, -- Funny, it is so easy to think it by it gets harder the older I get.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 6 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #5

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Painted bumpers are not always the best candidate to use for plating. I learned after sending two painted bumpers to the plater, that thereason they are so smooth is all the bondo to make them look that way. And you do not know this until after all the paint is stripped off.
Get the best chrome bumper you can find, it means less time the plater has to spend to get it looking perfect.
CCLINBIGBUMPER
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Jan 6 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

this look, huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/Porsche-914-GT[2].jpg) found this picture on this site: http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/PORSCHE914.html
but yeah i just Googled(pictures) "914 front bumper" and got these results. All of the notched bumpers turned out to be fiberglass. So i guess the only way would be to mod a stock chrome bumper. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:26 PM