Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Official 914 World 3 Rotor 914 Build Thread, Otherwise known as round and round we go......
John
post Mar 8 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #41

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Um, that isn't all the parts for the 915 pump/cooler. The intermediate section of the trans is also part of the setup. (I have a trans like that as well. Apparently the euro ones all or mostly had the coolers).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 8 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #42

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 6 2007, 10:40 PM) *

This is where we are at today. Paul is also going to work on the brake system for me. I have purchased a set of front and rear 1990 911 C2 calipers and rotors for this car. I will need adapters for them as the caliper bolt spacing is different than what is on the car. If anyone has information on where to get the adapters please let me know. I also purchased a pair of early 911 axles but the look to be too short and the bolt pattern on the inner CV doesn't match the output shaft of the transmission. Any ideas here are welcomed as well.

I've also wondered about the rear hub conversion that was done. Can anyone here tell me if these look like 914-6 units are are they just a drilled out hub with an extra bolt in them? Any help identifying what I have is appreciated.

That looks like a Vellios adapted rear hubs. They used to make 911 bearing housings that were welded to 914 trailing arms (once the 914 mounts were cut off). These allowed 911 e-brakes (shown) as well as provide the e-brake anchor block (shown) and allowed use of 911 rear wheel bearings (5mm wider) and later model rear hubs.

Too bad you can't still get those parts.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 10 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 538

Thanks! I didn't know that. It makes sense though since the previous owner also installed the Vellios oil tank and Vellios Side Shifter conversion.

If I understand correctly you are saying my car hubs were converted and I should be able to use a 911 e-brake as well as 911 rear wheel bearings? From the looks of your signature you know a lot about these cars. What axles would you recommend? I bought a set of early 911 axles but it looks like they are too short and I will need an adapter of some kind to make up the gap plus adapt them to the 915 transmission. Any advice is appreciated.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 10 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jan 7 2007, 04:56 PM) *

This is where we are at today. Paul is also going to work on the brake system for me. I have purchased a set of front and rear 1990 911 C2 calipers and rotors for this car. I will need adapters for them as the caliper bolt spacing is different than what is on the car. If anyone has information on where to get the adapters please let me know. I also purchased a pair of early 911 axles but the look to be too short and the bolt pattern on the inner CV doesn't match the output shaft of the transmission. Any ideas here are welcomed as well.

adaptors can be found at Patrick Motorsports @

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...cat2=&cat3=

Great looking work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks! These adapters say they are for the 901 transmission. I have a 915. Doesn't that make a difference? Is the adapter in the picture what you were thinking of?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 10 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #45

member? what's a member?

You need to measure the cv joints on the 911 axles you bought.

I believe that you would be using 1974-1984 911 CV Joints.

With a little creative machine work, those cv joints will fit on 914-6 axle shafts. (That is what I am using).

You may also be able to upgrade to the late model 911 Carrera axle assemblies. These assemblies include the outer stub axle replacing the one you already have installed. You just need to make sure the trans output flange will mate to it (this would be a good application for those PMS CV joint adapters because 911 axle assemblies are slightly shorter than 914 parts and the adapter would even it out nicely. PMS also sells the later model 911 axle assemblies (with the integral outer stub axle).

On the rear 911 e-brakes, (they are in place in the pictures) I am not sure how the Vellios e-brakes were actuated. I made my own belcranks that actuate the 911 e-brakes on my car. A few pics of that are in my BLOG.

Your car has some interesting parts on it.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 10 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #46

member? what's a member?

I've also wondered about the rear hub conversion that was done. Can anyone here tell me if these look like 914-6 units are are they just a drilled out hub with an extra bolt in them? Any help identifying what I have is appreciated.

This picture is showing a later model (hub centric) 911 rear hub. (That is the Vellios conversion) The brake shoes shown are the e-brake assembly)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 15 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #47

Thanks for the identification. That resolves a few questions I had. If you notice anything else feel free to post any time.

On another note I had a local roll cage builder spec out a couple of cages for my car. I was told that a basic 4 point would cost me $2K and a 6 point that tied to the shock towers with door bars would run close to $4k. Needless to say I was a little disappointed in those numbers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I know he does good work but I'm thinking I should entertain all options. Are these numbers representative of a well built cage where you guys are? Am I wrong for thinking that these prices are out of line?
+Quote Post
soloracer
post May 11 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #48

Just an update: I'm still in the search for a cost effective cage. Not much progress made on the car lately but I haven't forgot about it. I'm putting a dyno in my shop and once it's set up I will start again on the 914.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post May 12 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #49

I just read on another forum where they weighed the 20b bare engine, with flywheel, drysump and no boltons at 270 pounds. I haven't weighed mine yet but thought this was interesting enough to post. I would have to add the ITB assembly, alternator and exhaust manifold to get a good idea of the final engine weight. How does that compare to the subie or LS1's?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:05 AM