Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Re-keying your locks, The how-to thread
PRS914-6
post May 12 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #81

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

If you go to a locksmith and order 1 master kit you will get a new set of keys and new wafers that work for that key. From there you just duplicate the wafers and keys for the remainder of locks. This way you aren't starting off with a worn out key. Good Luck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 12 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #82

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 12 2008, 08:26 AM) *

If you go to a locksmith and order 1 master kit you will get a new set of keys and new wafers that work for that key. From there you just duplicate the wafers and keys for the remainder of locks. This way you aren't starting off with a worn out key. Good Luck

Thanks for the 411.

+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Dec 5 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #83

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The keys I bought have a 3-digit code on the tag, I'm assuming this relates to the wafer numbers. How though? I'm a bit confused since there are 5 wafers but only 3 numbers on the tag.

Mark, this write-up is killer, I followed it step by step and didn't have any issues. Thanks for putting it together.

Reid
+Quote Post
markb
post Dec 5 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #84

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

The tag I have here has 4 numbers. Interesting that yours only has 3.

Glad I could be of assistance.
+Quote Post
nicabr
post Mar 24 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 11,825
Region Association: Scandinavia

Great information! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Helped me a lot when I was re-keying my trunk lock yesterday evening.

Nicklas
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 3 2016, 06:55 AM
Post #86

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Glad this thread is available ! I just had to use it for rekeying an ignition switch; thanks markb !
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jun 1 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 21,628

I had a new key cut and it seems that it's juuuust a bit "off" - it works fine in one orientation (both in the doors and in the ignition) but if you flip it over, it won't turn - easily, anyway. You can wiggle it around and gently put a little pull on it and it MIGHT turn.

I had a door lock cylinder out at the time and noticed that it doesn't quite suck in the wafers to the point where they are flush with the cylinder. Does this mean the key was cut too far/deep or not far enough?

I'm wondering if a little gentle overall filing/smoothing might help but not sure which side to do since it turns one way, but not the other...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 1 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #88

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Thank you for this tutorial! All seems clearly explained and documented. My question is about key codes.... When I needed a new key for my Honda years ago I just brought the key code in to the locksmith and they cut a new key. I don't have the key code for any of my 914's. Does the key code correspond with the numbers on the wafers? In other words, if I know the sequence and numbers on the wafers can I bring that number to a locksmith and have a new key cut? If so, which end do you start the number from? Anybody have an answer to this?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 1 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 1 2019, 11:40 AM) *

Thank you for this tutorial! All seems clearly explained and documented. My question is about key codes.... When I needed a new key for my Honda years ago I just brought the key code in to the locksmith and they cut a new key. I don't have the key code for any of my 914's. Does the key code correspond with the numbers on the wafers? In other words, if I know the sequence and numbers on the wafers can I bring that number to a locksmith and have a new key cut? If so, which end do you start the number from? Anybody have an answer to this?

Yes. I did exactly that a couple years ago. Read the wafer numbers shoulder to tip (thanks @bandjoey for answering that in another thread) and take that and your locks to the locksmith. My locksmith cut a blank from code on one side only and then cut additional blanks on both sides using that master the usual way. He said that would give me a non-working master that would never get worn so I could have additional keys cut the cheap way with confidence.

I thought that was a great idea but just two days ago I took two genuine blanks to him with the master. He got a little freaked out over the cost of those blanks so didn't want to trust the master without cutting another cheap blank and testing in the locks. He didn't want to believe me when I told him he had already done that and the master is fine. I appreciate his wanting to be careful but dude, you've already done this. I'm going to take all my keys and locks back in so he can cut the new blanks without having an ulcer.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 1 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #90

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks Brent! Appreciate the info. I just came back to this thread after spending some time reading your restoration thread! Impressive......and thank you for documenting everything.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:29 PM