Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My Weekend Project, Removing the Backpad
jgara962
post Jan 13 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Yo, this is how I roll

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

My weekend project is to remove the backpad and rubber pad behind it. So far so good - the two combined weight 26 lbs! I'm going to put down some Dynamat Extreme and then lay a Morph carpet kit over the top.

One question. Do I need to remove all of the glue that is stuck to the firewall from the original pad, or do you think I can just lay the Dynamat over it? What should I use? So far I've tried Goof Off and a razor blade scrapper, but that's going to take a while and I already have a buzz going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
McMark
post Jan 13 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Bad news, you have to remove it. Otherwise the Dynamat won't stick. If you sound deadening material is not 100% adhered to the surface it won't work like it's supposed to. Go get a bunch of 120 grit sandpaper and that will take most of it off. You'll have to spray some paint on the sections that sand down to bare metal. If the sandpaper doesn't take it all off you can try a wood chisel or a putty knife to scrape off the remnants. Clean the whole thing with alcohol or a paint-prep degreaser (PPG DX-330). And try to keep your hands off after degreasing. Skin oils will affect adhesion.

Brake cleaner or paint thinner will take off the old glue, but I've found that it makes more of a mess and is more of a hassle then sandpaper. You'll be surprised by how much comes off in the first 5 minutes of sandpaper.

Take your time and be thorough and your Dynamat will last a long time.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 13 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 13 2007, 02:48 PM) *

My weekend project is to remove the backpad and rubber pad behind it. So far so good - the two combined weight 26 lbs! I'm going to put down some Dynamat Extreme and then lay a Morph carpet kit over the top.

One question. Do I need to remove all of the glue that is stuck to the firewall from the original pad, or do you think I can just lay the Dynamat over it? What should I use? So far I've tried Goof Off and a razor blade scrapper, but that's going to take a while and I already have a buzz going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Adhesive remover from home depot takes it right off, but be careful, it will strip the paint off as well.

I ended up stripping the entire compartment, as you know.

+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 13 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #4

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 13 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Bad news, you have to remove it. Otherwise the Dynamat won't stick. If you sound deadening material is not 100% adhered to the surface it won't work like it's supposed to. Go get a bunch of 120 grit sandpaper and that will take most of it off. You'll have to spray some paint on the sections that sand down to bare metal. If the sandpaper doesn't take it all off you can try a wood chisel or a putty knife to scrape off the remnants. Clean the whole thing with alcohol or a paint-prep degreaser (PPG DX-330). And try to keep your hands off after degreasing. Skin oils will affect adhesion.

Brake cleaner or paint thinner will take off the old glue, but I've found that it makes more of a mess and is more of a hassle then sandpaper. You'll be surprised by how much comes off in the first 5 minutes of sandpaper.

Take your time and be thorough and your Dynamat will last a long time.

Fuch!!!!!! I knew it.

Thanks for the info. I'll give the sandpaper a try. I'm about to blackout in the garage from the Goof Off fumes. Your right, it is just making a big mess out there too.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 13 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

You can always use a die grinder with scotch brite roll lock pads on it. They are cheap, and they take stuff like that off fast. Only downside is that they will take the paint off too. So you may have to respray the whole area to cover the bare metal and let it dry before you put up the dynamat.

BTW.. I have dynamat extreme inbetween my firewall and my back pad. Dropped the temps in the car a bunch, and lowered the noise level.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Jan 13 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

John, I'm going to tell you the secret to removing the glue residue, without affecting the paint underneath, but you have to promise not to tell anyone else...

Here's the secret.... soak the glue with 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner... I got mine from the local Auto paint store... let it soak, them rub off with a clean rag.... you might have to apply several times, but it works like a charm....

Attached Image

Remember, don't tell anyone else... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

-- Rob
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 15 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #7

Yo, this is how I roll

Here is an update on my project, which is now a multi-weekend project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I tried taking the glue off with 120 grit sandpaper, but it would either not take it off, or go right through to the metal. Next was a sander and 220 grit, but as soon as I hit an edge, it would again go right through to the metal and it wasn't that effective on the glue. I ended up going back to the razor blade scraper and Goof Off. Man, it was a killer, but seemed to work the best. I wiped everything down and did a lot of vacuing, and then sprayed paint on the spots where the metal was exposed. Notice the camoflage look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Next step is to break off the back pad mounting tabs. I've got one off, but need to get a chisel for the others. The screwdriver wasn't up to the task. Then put new black RTV in all of the holes and lay on the Dynamat.

After that, put on the carpet once I get in touch with Morph.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Jan 15 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #8

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978

Looks like your firewall cut itself shaving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jan 15 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #9

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I'm sort of taking retro approach of preserving all my adhesive in my race car. Think about all that hard work that some line worker went to to adhere that crap to the car.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 15 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #10

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 15 2007, 08:05 PM) *

I'm sort of taking retro approach of preserving all my adhesive in my race car. Think about all that hard work that some line worker went to to adhere that crap to the car.

As I was sitting there inhaling Goof Off fumes, I was wondering what chemicals those crazy Germans were putting in their glue back in '74. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 16 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Bummer the sandpaper didn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Looks cool though. I think you should leave it exposed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Jan 16 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #12

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978

you can lose more weight by removing all the sound tar on the floor.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 16 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 15 2007, 11:38 PM) *

Bummer the sandpaper didn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Looks cool though. I think you should leave it exposed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

This from the guy who has graffiti on the side of his car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 16 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 16 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #15

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

John - looks good. Are you putting in a harness or just shedding some weight?
I have been struggling with the backpad issue: remove or not? I have that "QuietCar" paint and put 4 coats on the back of my backpad and it really helped. 3-4 coats on the firewall is in the future....I like to be able to hear my cell phone ring when driving, not that they can hear me when I talk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Keep up the good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 16 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jan 13 2007, 05:11 PM) *

John, I'm going to tell you the secret to removing the glue residue, without affecting the paint underneath, but you have to promise not to tell anyone else...

Here's the secret.... soak the glue with 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner... I got mine from the local Auto paint store... let it soak, them rub off with a clean rag.... you might have to apply several times, but it works like a charm....

Attached Image

Remember, don't tell anyone else... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

-- Rob

Your right Rob. I used that stuff on the underside of my son's 944 hoodto remove the adhesive and it didn't hurt the paint at all.

I forgot...
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 16 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #17

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 16 2007, 10:52 AM) *

John - looks good. Are you putting in a harness or just shedding some weight?
I have been struggling with the backpad issue: remove or not? I have that "QuietCar" paint and put 4 coats on the back of my backpad and it really helped. 3-4 coats on the firewall is in the future....I like to be able to hear my cell phone ring when driving, not that they can hear me when I talk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Keep up the good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hey Chris,

After that autox at the Santa Rosa Airport in July, I put in a Willans Club Sport harness. The PO must of also had a harness in the car because of the two holes drilled through the firewall right behind the driver's seat. I had already bought the Dynamat, and when I removed the backpad and saw the black rubber sound pad behind it, I thought "S%$#, why did I just spend $60 on a Dynamat when there was already a pad there I could carpet over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) " But I couldn't believe how much that thing weighed when I pulled it off!

The other reason I'm pulling it out is because I didn't like the look of the Corbeau seats against the cutouts for the original seats in the backpad. It was just two big gaps behind the seats which looked kind of dumb. Cleaner look, less weight - no downside as far as I can tell!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 16 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

I thought about dropping by last Sunday to see if you were working. I guess I should have. I had SirAndy and Rotten Robby in the car with me.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 16 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #19

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2007, 12:09 PM) *

I thought about dropping by last Sunday to see if you were working. I guess I should have. I had SirAndy and Rotten Robby in the car with me.

Great, the three of you could have drank beer and watched me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Really though, I wish you would have, it would been cool.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Jan 16 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Well, if you would used my suggestion, you probably wouldn't have done as much work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , but congratulations on finishing it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Here's a shot of my rear firewall after about 10 minutes of using the 3M...

Attached Image

-- Rob
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:16 AM