Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whos been the fastest in a 914?, how fast have you gone?
6freak
post Jul 23 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #121

MR.C

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

the only thing I find cute are Puppies ! ... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Jul 23 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

old car gt clone 135 back striaght road atl.... dancing the whole way..

current car 75 mph on the back of a trailer!!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 23 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

Not actually true...there are allot of factors to consider. One is higher powered cars require greater car control and skill to drive well - at least those without all the modern nannies to save them. I own both - an 80 lb tq car that is faster on a big track than my 600 hp 914. It takes allot more skill than the trivial, brush-off comments being made. To execute speed correctly and safely - skill is required - period. Just sayin...

PS: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 23 2016, 12:36 PM) *

the only thing I find cute are Puppies ! ... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line.
+Quote Post
post Jul 23 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #124

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man

Well said, when the 996 GT2 came out. You had folks who had the means to obtain one....some "thought " just because they had one, they were the new Senna / Hamilton. Some never realized that this generation of GT2 had no PSM to save their rears.
Thus out of just a little over 900 GT2 - world wide and 410 assigned to the US market, a third have been crashed. That number was a few years ago. I suspect that a few more has been crashed by now.

Now back to "how fast has one driven " their 914
Ps...I agree that with higher HP 914, one will required more skills / faster reflexes.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 23 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #125

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Nobody ever questioned that skill is required, rev. Drag racing requires skill. I'd love to see revCracker's times at the White City track! Different tracks, different cars, different drivers. Build and drive the way you like. I like turns, but I think the OP meant top speed in a fun light-hearted way.

Tony, you've got at least 160, right? Just share the numbers.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 23 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #126

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Crackers car probably wouldnt do as well as Britians car on the White City track. His car is geared and tuned for big track/ high speed. And conversely Britians car wouldnt do as well as Crackers car on a big track
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 23 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #127

Cross Member

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 23 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Crackers car probably wouldnt do as well as Britians car on the White City track. His car is geared and tuned for big track/ high speed. And conversely Britians car wouldnt do as well as Crackers car on a big track

You knew that was my point, right? There's no probably about it.

Back to the OP, "How fast have you been in your 914?"

P.S., Hey Andyrew, how do you think revCrack's time would compare to your Festevia on the WC track? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That's a race I'd love to see. It would be humbling.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 23 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #128

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

On similar tire size and compound? It would be interesting to see muscling that track monster around on way less grip than it needs without stability control /traction control aids on such a tight course.

Assuming similar driving skill (Tony is obviously much better than me).

I think the times could be pretty even. The fiesta is a prime example of a properly tuned modern chassis and the huge advantage ABS has.
+Quote Post
914bub
post Jul 23 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 16,260

I know I'm late to the party.I've only gone about 45MPH in MY 914 but in high school I rode in a buddies 914 going 132 mph down 280 through Palo Alto & Los Altos hills, around 2AM. That ride was what hooked me. Only took another 30 years to get my own.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 23 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #130

Cross Member

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 23 2016, 03:09 PM) *

On similar tire size and compound? It would be interesting to see muscling that track monster around on way less grip than it needs without stability control /traction control aids on such a tight course.

Assuming similar driving skill (Tony is obviously much better than me).

I think the times could be pretty even. The fiesta is a prime example of a properly tuned modern chassis and the huge advantage ABS has.

The monkey talk is fun. Tony can't AX. Not fair in this thread.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 23 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #131

MR.C

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 11:34 AM) *

Not actually true...there are allot of factors to consider. One is higher powered cars require greater car control and skill to drive well - at least those without all the modern nannies to save them. I own both - an 80 lb tq car that is faster on a big track than my 600 hp 914. It takes allot more skill than the trivial, brush-off comments being made. To execute speed correctly and safely - skill is required - period. Just sayin...

PS: I realize you are probably just making conversation but it is just not true. No big deal though...if I had a nickle for every student who thought they were a natural Senna and thought fast was easy - I'd be a wealthy man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony

My names Mike Wallace and Ill put ya in wall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 23 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 23 2016, 05:03 PM) *

Nobody ever questioned that skill is required, rev.

"... just trying to say anyone can drive fast in a strait line."

Sounds kinda skill-less to me - but that's just me. AX is not might thing - waiting around all day for a couple runs requires too much patience, which I don't have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

164.4 (but who's counting) but that too is misleading...speed is only one component of evaluating pace. The track is the largest variable, of course, my car is geared to max out at 178 - so I'm close. There isn't a road track in the US where I could achieve that pace.

T
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 23 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(396 @ Jul 17 2016, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 2 2007, 07:57 PM) *

Recent conversation with retired 82 year old racer Harald Von Keszycki still has him in the running for one of the fastest 914's with a production chassis.

A long long time ago Harald purchased Erwin Kremers 1970 LeMans winning 914/6 GT. He then built it into a monster in the mid 1970's. At its peak it ran in excess of 550 HP with just a little 2.1 Liter motor. It took a lot of bodywork to keep it on the ground at 180mph.

Later Group 5 cars (non production tube frame cars) which are essentially prototypes gave the Von K 914 a run for the money. With factory racing budgets they only beat it by few mph.

Taken from my friend Victor V. word for word who raced professionally with Harald Von K. "looking at Von K's 914 and telling him he was going to shoot somebody with the way the turbo system was configured . Sure enough, he burst a turbo wheel and shot a Datsun at Riverside".

Haralds response: "Yeah, and on the way out the turbine wheel knurled a spiral path into the inside of the tailpipe, sort of rifling its own barrel. Wish I had a picture".

Yes that is Ferry Porsche admiring Haralds work in the photo.

I grew up in SoCal and have seen this car when Harald had shop set up in Woodland Hills a long time ago. Was also fortunate to be able to hang out at Dan McLoughlin's shop in Burbank. Dan made the glass body panels for the Von K 914. Dan purchased A.I.R ( in name) from actor James Garner who started the AIR Racing Ream ( Vettes and Lola's). A little history few people remember. Dan is no longer involved with AIR. He sold it a few years ago. The quality of the glass today is not like it was.

Harald Von K has a small website with some cool reading. A good article from Classic VW's is on one of the links.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Jeff,
Thanks for providing these wonderful pictures...boy it takes me back to those early years when I used to see Von K at the POC events.
Sorry to hear of Von K passing.. RIP Von

I'd have to agree on Harald von K's turbo (a floor pan car) being one of the most high velocity of the 914s . I've seen him work it at Riverside raceway. My turbo development was in its infancy with a single turbo 2.7L in a narrow body with 7" slicks, final drive gearing limited to hitting the mid 130s in the back straight (901 trans) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Watching Harald run in the wicked fast Red class was a sight to see. One afternoon in the garage at RIR he was tearing into a gear set change on his 915 tranny. Hot oily parts everywhere and then we saw the gears on the ground with the teeth sheared off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It was running with, and sometimes away from the 12 cyl Porsches ยก!
Marty
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 25 2016, 10:26 AM
Post #134

MR.C

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 06:17 PM) *

Sounds kinda skill-less to me - but that's just me. AX is not might thing - waiting around all day for a couple runs requires too much patience, which I don't have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

164.4 (but who's counting) but that too is misleading...speed is only one component of evaluating pace. The track is the largest variable, of course, my car is geared to max out at 178 - so I'm close. There isn't a road track in the US where I could achieve that pace.

T
maybe you just dont have the skills to AX (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ...god if I had a dollar for every instuctor i had to tell! get in sit down shut up and hang on "...id be rich

126MPH only because that track wasnt long enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) GTFOH
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 26 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #135

MR.C

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 25 2016, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 23 2016, 06:17 PM) *

T
maybe you just dont have the skills to AX (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ...god if I had a dollar for every instuctor i had to tell! get in sit down shut up and hang on "...id be rich

126MPH only because that track wasnt long enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) GTFOH

That was rude of me to say you dont have skills ! I apologize Rev

Now back to going fast in a 914
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

No biggies 6freak - this place has given me thick skin. Cheers.

T
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 26 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #137

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

115 in a 914 2.0
135 in a 914-6 2.5
140 in a 916
185 in a 911
195 in a Viper
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jul 26 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here's my fastest in the 2.7/6....at Daytona last December, 145 on 225/45/15's hitting the rev limiter, 153 on 225/50/16's also just touching the rev limiter. Car stable, driver edgy. This clip shows the speedo buried well over 150 around 1:05 but actual was 145. Turn up the volume & enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsRVmnX09c
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #139

Advanced Member

538 mph last week courtesy of Delta! Damn. Focus. 914's.

T
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 26 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #140

Cross Member

Just when I wanted you to change your name back, you switch to the metric system. Sigh.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:31 AM