Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whos been the fastest in a 914?, how fast have you gone?
Cracker
post Jul 15 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

...you must of been young and naive "back then" to spew this logic Andyrew! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 4 2007, 03:16 AM) *

The v8's have the disadvantage of gearing and low rpm's. Most v8's dont pull much past 6k rpms. while T4's and Porsche 6's can rev past 7k. giving them MUCh more rpms' to work with in those gears.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 15 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #142

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

There is truth in my statement I made when I was 20... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 15 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Many years ago . Virginia Beach to San Diego. . 43 hours nonstop. No pills - lots of coffee
or
Holtville PCA time trials in the late 70's. . 7400 rpm in fifth, stock gearing 914-6 with 185/70 14 tires and rims. . didn't have time to look at the speedo. 2.o S spec motor
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 15 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #144

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

What should be being asked about is not how fast but

???? !!!! ???? !! ???? ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) but whos has the fastest car on this world or club .

But im not encourage in people to speed on public roads

But would still like to know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
cars that are technically street legal not racers

I just got the big 4 and ive gone about 92 down the 605

Xxx typo

No i mean down Bonneville salt flats

It will go faster but , see below

Wonder what that guys top speed was
Shame to wrek such a sweet ride .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
kaiserms
post Jul 15 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #145

MSKaiser

Member No.: 20,378
Region Association: Upper MidWest

165 mph on the speedo. Done at Riverside Raceway at POC event. We were
running the long course and I hit 165 on the back straight before turn 9.
Even more amazing, I got passed by a 935. Felt like he was doing 180-190!
I was driving a '72 914-6 conversion. It had a special built twin-plug 2.5 motor
rated at 290hp. Great car & very fast.
This was 1986 before Riverside shut down. What a tremendous track!
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Jul 16 2017, 12:51 AM
Post #146

Member No.: 18,459
Region Association: Southwest Region

130 per my phone GPS. Indicated about 135. This was in my '73 2.0. Upgraded engine, stock tranny (as far as I know). Tach was around 5900 rpm. Car is wearing 195/65x15 tires. Was still pulling. Could probably get 5mph more, but ran out of room and was catching up to traffic.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 16 2017, 06:03 AM
Post #147

Advanced Member

Anyone who IS looking at a SPEEDOMETER at over 150 mph - particularity on a track (presumably with corners and other cars) should question whether they should be driving. Just sayin'...

T

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 15 2017, 07:31 PM) *

"...didn't have time to look at the speedo. 2.o S spec motor"

+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Jul 16 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 16,395

Tony , you could max your car at Daytona...and plenty of time t look at speedo...not really a fun track to me , a few turns and a long time flat out hoping something doesn't fall off and kill you , my GTU 911 did one seventy three by gearing calculations..
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 16 2017, 10:02 AM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Correct. I was referring to a "normal" road course though...Daytona would be an exception. I would still question the rational of such a practice; driving by numbers is amateurish; and amateurs should not be going 170 mph. For instance, I would never be looking at my speed at Road Atlanta, flat through T9 (blind corner!); preparing for the worst case scenario (my car + others'); and head up looking for my Mark and line. I use an AIM Solo that datal logs - the cycle rate is high (1/100 sec) and the accuracy is too. I am not trying to be an overly-conservative was, not even a smart one; just a smart calculating driver.

T
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jul 16 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 15,637

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Apr 24 2007, 01:45 PM) *

I have a 914/6 tube-framed car with a 2.7L 6 in it. I managed 150 according to a gear chart on the long course at Pocono Raceway. I have a wing on the car (and did at the time of the aforementioned run). Prior to adding the wing the car would get pretty light in the rear above 110 mph.

Hey stownsen914 do you have a build blog on your tube-framed car......I'm sure more than just me would be interested in seeing it.

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 16 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #151

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

When I was much younger and stupid, I was doing over 140 on I-5 back in the late 80's. Same car but with a 2.7, Weber's, headers and stock trans. Nice long straight aways, playing tag with the Mustangs. The stock Mustangs could do around 120 back then, but there was a Saleen Mustang that could keep up with me. The highway patrol arrested one of the drivers of the stock 5.0 Mustang, while me and the Saleen Mustang watched from a rest stop.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jul 16 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Did over 100 in a 914-6 on the high banks of Daytona as a passeger back in 1970 or 1971 (dont' remember exact date) and have my little card showing I"m a member of the 100 mph club to prove it!

Did some pretty stupid things in my 914's over the years, but probably never was much over 100...

("a friend" did average over 100 with a friend on Oklahoma Turnpike many years ago going back to IA in a modded 914-6 from the old Tulsa tech sessions put on by War Bonnett region. We "lost" our ticket because it had the time stamped on it when we started...)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 17 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is an interesting thread.
Interesting for what it's not mentioning.
In past threads, I've read that the 914 can get pretty twitchy at triple digits. And very recently (after years of work) I felt mine was safe enough to take into the triples. I found it to be quite twitchy myself. This is going to be my primary track car and will certainly be getting into those speeds and after having consulted some track pals and a mechanic that's familiar with my local track, I've decided to build a splitter out of ABS. I'm hoping that this will help get some downforce on the front end and settle things down some.
Anyone else experience this "twitchy" feel at high speed and build a splitter?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 17 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #154

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 17 2017, 07:12 AM) *

This is an interesting thread.
Interesting for what it's not mentioning.
In past threads, I've read that the 914 can get pretty twitchy at triple digits. And very recently (after years of work) I felt mine was safe enough to take into the triples. I found it to be quite twitchy myself. This is going to be my primary track car and will certainly be getting into those speeds and after having consulted some track pals and a mechanic that's familiar with my local track, I've decided to build a splitter out of ABS. I'm hoping that this will help get some downforce on the front end and settle things down some.

Lets see your rear end, I've been to 130 many, many times as thats the top of third for me in my current configuration. I feel the front is more twitchy than the rear at this point and thats probably all alignment. I know my downforce is low at the rear and my big tires probably help my mechanical grip. I do plan to add a diffuser later.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1480623890_thumb.jpg)
You can see how high I cut my rear bumper in an attempt at gaining clean airflow under the car.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 17 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #155

Advanced Member

There's more to consider than meets the eye...without balance it will not work well. Adding a splitter in and of itself is not a solution - especially on a teener. If you are going to consistently drive fast (in a 914), below are the three most important things to consider (and in this order). If you install and get all of these correct - you are good. No need for a diffuser at that point. Just my experience and opinion...

PS: If you cannot literally STAND 100% on your splitter - you are wasting your time. But I do not think you should install one anyway (first anyhow). It needs to be able to support 250+ pounds - not so sure ABS is going to get you there. Don't put it on - at least first - address in order below and test each time.

1) Alignment
2) Rear Wing
3) Splitter

T

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 17 2017, 10:12 AM) *

...I've decided to build a splitter out of ABS. I'm hoping that this will help get some downforce on the front end and settle things down some.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 17 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #156

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 17 2017, 10:54 AM) *

There's more to consider than meets the eye...without balance it will not work well. Adding a splitter in and of itself is not a solution - especially on a teener. If you are going to consistently drive fast (in a 914), below are the three most important things to consider (and in this order). If you install and get all of these correct - you are good. No need for a diffuser at that point. Just my experience and opinion...

PS: If you cannot literally STAND 100% on your splitter - you are wasting your time. But I do not think you should install one anyway (first anyhow). It needs to be able to support 250+ pounds - not so sure ABS is going to get you there. Don't put it on - at least first - address in order below and test each time.

1) Alignment
2) Rear Wing
3) Splitter

T

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 17 2017, 10:12 AM) *

...I've decided to build a splitter out of ABS. I'm hoping that this will help get some downforce on the front end and settle things down some.

One (four wheel with corner balancing) and two already done, see image for rear wing.
ABS material, 3/16 (back to back). The upper shelf out about 3", the lower shelf adjustable for 5" total. The upper shelf will extend back to about centerline of the front wheels of the tub.
This is a material and configuration other people are using at my local track (SUmmit Point).
I think my rear wing is actually causing the imbalance.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 17 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #157

Advanced Member

Ok. Here is what I have...

1) That is not a wing...that is a rear spoiler. It is doing nothing but for looks. Nothing.

2) A steel frame needs to be made that bolts to the suspension cross-member in the rear and the front torsion bar caps in the front. My diagram is attached below...

3) You can use the ABS but skin in on (at least) one side with 14 gauge stainless sheet - the whole splitter. Do not worry about adding weight...

4) Do not do any of this until a proper wing is installed...this is a major PITA - just being honest. I have attached a couple pictures below of my set-up - this took some time to figure out.

5) My experience (and screw-ups) have taught me not having enough negative toe in the rear causing high-speed instability. Adjust for a minimum of .100 per side and up to .200 if you have more than 400 hp/tq.

6) Good luck!

Tony

Splitter Detail
Attached Image

Upright Detail
Attached Image

Wing Strut Detail
Attached Image

Upright core and strut
Attached Image

Splitter (Carbon, Kevlar with honeycomb core) with embedded aluminum hardpoints
Attached Image

Car on track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4hRTzKFXw
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 17 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #158

Advanced Member

As a matter of record...when I locked the front up in the above video - I did not have the splitter on the car. It was fractured earlier in the day. It broke at 160 and caused allot of trouble. I ran without it the remainder of the weekend (mistake really) - thus the lock up due no front (or reduced) downforce. It REALLY does matter...

Tony
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jul 17 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #159

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 17 2017, 09:12 AM) *

I've decided to build a splitter out of ABS. I'm hoping that this will help get some downforce on the front end and settle things down some.

I tried ABS sheet plastic before. Too heavy and too flexible.
You should instead use a carbon sandwich with honeycomb core; much lighter and stiffer. $$$

dragonplate.com
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jul 17 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #160

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 17 2017, 12:20 PM) *

Ok. Here is what I have...

1) That is not a wing...that is a rear spoiler. It is doing nothing but for looks. Nothing.

2) A steel frame needs to be made that bolts to the suspension cross-member in the rear and the front torsion bar caps in the front. My diagram is attached below...

3) You can use the ABS but skin in on (at least) one side with 14 gauge stainless sheet - the whole splitter. Do not worry about adding weight...

4) Do not do any of this until a proper wing is installed...this is a major PITA - just being honest. I have attached a couple pictures below of my set-up - this took some time to figure out.

5) My experience (and screw-ups) have taught me not having enough negative toe in the rear causing high-speed instability. Adjust for a minimum of .100 per side and up to .200 if you have more than 400 hp/tq.

6) Good luck!

Tony

Splitter Detail
Attached Image

Upright Detail
Attached Image

Wing Strut Detail
Attached Image

Upright core and strut
Attached Image

Splitter (Carbon, Kevlar with honeycomb core) with embedded aluminum hardpoints
Attached Image

Good data.
Thanks
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:04 AM