Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whos been the fastest in a 914?, how fast have you gone?
Wild 6
post Apr 5 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #81

See you at the next autocross.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,128

Larry,
I see you are from the East Bay Area. I bought the car from Tobias Onley in Oakland - he bought it from Alan Timmerman here in Phoenix. It's amazing how these cars get around. I'll be at Willow Springs Raceway this summer with NASA. It's a little closer to the Bay Area than Phoenix. We have one more autocross before the season restarts in the Fall. I'm planning on attending the Atomic Ramble in Albuquerque and possibly Moab again this Fall. I hope to see you around.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Apr 5 2007, 04:14 AM
Post #82

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Apr 4 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Larry,
I'll be at Willow Springs Raceway this summer with NASA.

There's nothing like Willow Springs in the summer!
+Quote Post
Twise
post Apr 23 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

110mph in my 5 bolt converted 1974 1.8 with djet. South 15 downhill out of Fallbrook into Escondido just past the 76 (you know the spot). It was early and cold it had more, but I was just happy to get that out of that 4 banger. I also have a 1991 300CE MBZ, and I just got pulled over there doing well over 120mph. One CHP cruiser turned into 3 CHP cruisers and a bike. Guns drawn, creeping up on the passenger side. It was "not cool", I do believe those fellas would have taken me to jail, but a friend of mine intervened on my behalf - Thank god for cel-phones - "hey buddy, remember the great deal I got you on those parts for your car.... Well, Uh, I am in a bit of a jam here man..... I love that guy. Ticket says 90mph, and they wrote the tint, my lic plate cover and they were pissed. I think if I was them I woulda been too. Man I know I blew by that dude at 130 at least. That car reels in the highway. Anyway, save it for the track man... $450.00 is what that cost me /w Mr Ticket on board. I love that car........
+Quote Post
kpex914
post Apr 23 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 5,792

I did 115 in my stock 1.7. Probally could have gone faster but i chickened out.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Apr 24 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 6,985

I have a 914/6 tube-framed car with a 2.7L 6 in it. I managed 150 according to a gear chart on the long course at Pocono Raceway. I have a wing on the car (and did at the time of the aforementioned run). Prior to adding the wing the car would get pretty light in the rear above 110 mph.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 24 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #86

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Hi, It's me, back from the dead....

130mph in my 1.7 on flat ground
Do I get the "fastest 1.7 award"?

I was tuning the digital EFI with a laptop & was watching the screen for boost-creep. It had more to go but intake temp had hit 190F and it was starting to knock (at 13psi boost). One of these days I'll replumb the intake to add the intercooler and we'll try again. I don't want to quit until it's faster than my M3.

-Ben M.

ps - my M3 head-butts the revlimiter at 147mph
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Apr 24 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #87

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Did 116 MPH according to my GPS on Laguna Seca a few weeks ago
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 2 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 7,712

Recent conversation with retired 82 year old racer Harald Von Keszycki still has him in the running for one of the fastest 914's with a production chassis.

A long long time ago Harald purchased Erwin Kremers 1970 LeMans winning 914/6 GT. He then built it into a monster in the mid 1970's. At its peak it ran in excess of 550 HP with just a little 2.1 Liter motor. It took a lot of bodywork to keep it on the ground at 180mph.

Later Group 5 cars (non production tube frame cars) which are essentially prototypes gave the Von K 914 a run for the money. With factory racing budgets they only beat it by few mph.

Taken from my friend Victor V. word for word who raced professionally with Harald Von K. "looking at Von K's 914 and telling him he was going to shoot somebody with the way the turbo system was configured . Sure enough, he burst a turbo wheel and shot a Datsun at Riverside".

Haralds response: "Yeah, and on the way out the turbine wheel knurled a spiral path into the inside of the tailpipe, sort of rifling its own barrel. Wish I had a picture".

Yes that is Ferry Porsche admiring Haralds work in the photo.

I grew up in SoCal and have seen this car when Harald had shop set up in Woodland Hills a long time ago. Was also fortunate to be able to hang out at Dan McLoughlin's shop in Burbank. Dan made the glass body panels for the Von K 914. Dan purchased A.I.R ( in name) from actor James Garner who started the AIR Racing Ream ( Vettes and Lola's). A little history few people remember. Dan is no longer involved with AIR. He sold it a few years ago. The quality of the glass today is not like it was.

Harald Von K has a small website with some cool reading. A good article from Classic VW's is on one of the links.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 2 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #89

A neat photo to go with the history of the Von K 914.

Pictured is a young Dave Bouzaglou (TRE Automotive) between the famous Solar Productions 917 (Steve McQueen- LeMans) and Harald Von K's 914 before the monster bodywork was installed. The location was AIR in Burbank.

The rest is history!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racing916
post Nov 2 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 2,959
Region Association: North East States

Stock 2.0L 4 -Cylinder back stretch at Watkins Glen at 119MPH

2.7L 6 Cylinder 914-6 139 MPH back stretch at Watkins Glen, could be faster with better gearing.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 2 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #91

Harald sent me a little bit of racing history of his 914 and the 917 in the photo.

"That is the Monster under construction sitting next to Otis Chandler's 917. I was to beat Otis in that with my monster at Ontario Motor Speedway two years later in a time trial. Johnny Thomas, who nannied that car and Otis' 930, was much faster in them. I'm attaching a picture of the three cars at the annual Porsche Parade in San Diego".

Thanks again,
Harald
[size=2]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Nov 2 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #92

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

Ralph Meany in his interview, stated 170+ with a naturally aspirated 2l 6. I think he has us all beat. Great pictures on his web site.

Ralph Meany
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 3 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #93

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, My speedo is inop, but I received a ticket as I was going on a very fun drive. The officer said I went past him at 120, but he liked my car and wrote it for 80 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . We talked about my car a little, and he let me go saying to contest it. I did and it was dismissed. The coolest cop ever.

I was going a bit faster before he caught me. I wish I knew how much.
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Nov 3 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #94

oldest member

From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

QUOTE(LarryR @ Apr 4 2007, 01:06 AM) *

a few more ... did not mean to hyjack the thread...

That is one beautiful car !!!!!

Back to daredevil talk 90mph in my 73 2.0 on civilian roads.....120 mph in my 944 Turbo at Lime Rock thank God or Porsche for the great brakes on that car.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 4 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Attached Image
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 2 2007, 09:20 PM) *

Harald sent me a little bit of racing history of his 914 and the 917 in the photo.

"That is the Monster under construction sitting next to Otis Chandler's 917. I was to beat Otis in that with my monster at Ontario Motor Speedway two years later in a time trial. Johnny Thomas, who nannied that car and Otis' 930, was much faster in them. I'm attaching a picture of the three cars at the annual Porsche Parade in San Diego".

Thanks again,
Harald
[size=2]

Same PCA Parade in SD, that's me next to the Chandler 917/30. In another frame I can see Von K's front fender . At a POC event at RIR, I won a raffle for 5 laps in the 917/30 with Otis driving. I got into that little bucket seat and off we went for the most brutal E ticket ride of my life. The G forces and wind were sucking that bell helmet right off my head, I had a chin strap rash after the ride. The top gear acceleration down the back straight was similar to my FIRST gear launch in my car. There is no speedo in that car but Otis told me that we were topping 200.
BTW, he was an excellent road racer, surfer, scholar , gentleman . He changed my life with that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
fat73
post Nov 4 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #96

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043

Attached Image

Been faster than this, I'd say around 140. At this point the WRX engine is just getting its legs. Alot left and pulling amazingly hard.

My GPS said I did 124 somewhere between Tampa and Tennessee on a recent trip. I think it was on an entrance ramp to I-75 just south of Macon.

Ed aka W9R1

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 4 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #97

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Speedometer said 110 so I suppose 90? The 50 series tires mess things up by about 15% or so... But that was in a corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jul 17 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #98

Harold recently passed away. RIP Von K.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jul 17 2016, 05:57 AM
Post #99

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654

Somewhere around 117-119mph, I don't think I've ever actually hit 120 in it.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jul 17 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #100

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

150 in my v8 small block 427 racing my cousin Rentech Mercedes AMG and his Lingenfelter Corvette. The Aero was really bad my cousin looked over and thought my hood was about to fly open and smack my windshield because of all the air going through the front radiator inlet opening. He said my hood was 6 inches up even with four hood pins. The front of that car must have felt like a brick with all that air going in and not fast enough to exit. All us guys with front radiators beware. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:54 AM