Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shrinking Disc with DVD $40 delivered in the lower 48, For simple to learn dent repair and metal shaping.
John Kelly
post Jan 21 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Hi Folks,

I have upgraded my shrinking disc album with a photo series showing the repair of a dent and some lumps in a piece of sheet metal.

All it takes is a shrinking disc, a ball peen hammer and a hammer and dolly. No hard to learn techniques, just a few basic concepts, that with a little practice, will yield spectacular results:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980121727059

The shrinking disc comes with a DVD, or if you would rather make your own shrinking disc, one of my other DVDs: Custom Metal Bodywork shows how.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jan 21 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I don't understand. How does a shrinking disc work? It just looks like a piece of curved sheet metal to me.

Skip
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Jan 21 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #3

Hi Skip,

Body damage often has stretched (thinned) areas that happen when the damage was done, and during the repair of the damage with hammer and dolly. Shrinking (thickening) is required to counter the stretching.

The disc is attached to a sander or grinder and spins against the high spots of an area you want to shrink to flatten them out, and reduce surface area. It creates heat through friction. Heat shrinks. You end up with a smooth panel if you spend enough time.

If you have a panel that has been worked on several times before, the disc can relax the metal by controlled shrinking over a larger area to condition the metal and make it more workable.

The alternative is to leave the metal slightly wrinkly and apply filler. Or, use a torch to shrink which takes a lot more skill and does not turn out as nice as the work done with a shrinking disc.

You can also shape metal with the disc as shown in the album. There is a picture of a panel with a reverse curve (valley) that I did with a shrinking disc.

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Feb 8 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #4

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I got one of his disks for Christmas a coupla years ago and it is the most amazing thing. That tool has completely changed the way I do body work. Now I beat out the dent so it is higher than the fender and shrink and hammer smooth.

Now it's one of my "why didn't I buy it earlier and save myself a lot of grief tools" like my MIG welder, my spotweld drill, and my HVLP paint gun with turbine.

Ken
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 10 2007, 03:24 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

John, is this a DVD just about the shrinking disk? If so, send me a bill for one. I have your disk, but some additional instruction/usage video would be awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
John Kelly
post Feb 10 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Hi Mark,

About 99 per cent of what is in this dvd is in the full length one I sent you: Custom Metal Bodywork, in the last chapter...the one with the glitch in some of the early ones I burned. Did the replacement I sent work OK?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:33 PM