Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> On the road again, Mini-starter works great!
ThinAir
post Jan 28 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

The weather was warm enough today that I could finally install the mini-starter that I purchased back in December. My teener has been laid up since December 12th after the starter went out (again) on the trip to Phoenix for the Toys-for-Tots breakfast. It got so bad that I could not get the starter to crank even with the screwdriver trick!

I purchased my starter on eBay from Hi-Performance of America I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

One tricky part of the installation is that there is no notch for the upper bolt head to rest in so you have to reach over the tranny from the passenger side and position a wrench on the bolt head so that it won't fall off when you go back to the engine compartment to put on the nut.

The hardest part for me was that the connections end up on the top of the starter so the best way to access them is by reaching over the transmission from the passenger side. Since I've got a Bowlsby ignition wiring harness (that is pretty stiff) this proved to be fairly tricky. I almost thought I was going to have to choose between a starter connection or backup lights.

My fear in using this starter was that I'd heard that sometimes they need to be shimmed. I really didn't have the patience for that kind of job in winter weather. Fortunately, it worked like a charm on the very first attempt. WooHoo!

Now we'll see if indeed this solves the hot-start problem over the long haul as it is reputed to do. I sure hope so. I'm tired of being push-started at Red Rock Classic every year!! For now I'm just delighted to be driving the teener again!

I've attached a couple of photos to show the difference between the stock and mini starters.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:00 PM