Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: The kid pulled a real boner, Was I that stupid at 17?
DNHunt
post Mar 7 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Maybe, I can't remember. It's been too long.

The kid has been doing the sound board for the school musical and they are in rehersal so he's had real long days. Anyway, he leaves the lights on in his bug and drains the battery. So, mom and dad are going to bail him out and head up to the school to bail him out. I jump it and we leave my Subi. There's not much gas but, I can't shut the thing off so we make a dash for home. Guess who had a long walk?

Would it have been so hard to say we'll need gas? I could have brought a gas can full.
Anyway, then it's bring back the gas can, jump the POS and bring it home. Oh ya, the charger wouldn't charge it so, mom says why don't you get the kid a new battery? Why can't he walk for a while until he can buy a new battery?

Let's see I seem to remember calling my dad at midnight one night cause the car couldn't go. When the tow truck driver came he found a broken U-joint and said I'm going to tell your old man what you were doing. Dad never said a word.

What do you think should I bust his balls or just get a new battery?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 7 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Mom say's get the battery. You'll never win that one. Get the battery and be glad he called you. Someday he won't need you at all and the only time you'll here from him is when you call.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 7 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I'd give him a good ribbing and then get the battery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 7 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Get him a new battery......make him pay for it ...0 money down, easy payments......that way the wife is happy he's not bugging her for a ride and he learns responsibility.............making him pay for the gas you had to put in is optional (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 7 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

let him buy a new bat with the money from his job. his car, his mistake. when he sees what one costs he'll remember to turn off all electrical systems prior to removing the key. a lesson learned. what is he doing driving around on the reserve? lucky it wasn't 2 weeks ago when it was so cold.

k
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 7 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the bug is a stick. why didn't he push start the car? buy him a set of jumper cables for his birthday.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

k
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Mar 7 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,225

Buy him the battery to keep the wife happy. Make him walk to the FLAPS to get it....to make you happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Mar 7 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #8

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

IMHO,

i think a wash and wax on your 914 is a good way to earn a new battery and a couple of gallons of gas.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 7 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JerryP @ Mar 7 2007, 07:01 AM) *

Buy him the battery to keep the wife happy. Make him walk to the FLAPS to get it....to make you happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

I agree with that!! That will be one hellva walk that he will remember.

Hey, he's helped you out alot too ya know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Mar 7 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 7 2007, 06:35 AM) *

the bug is a stick. why didn't he push start the car? buy him a set of jumper cables for his birthday.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

k

He jumped it and bump started it for 2 days. He ran the battery down Sunday. I gave him a little ribbing and some words of wisdom about VW fuel gauges. He seemed pretty contrite.

Dave
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 7 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

At least he's involved in school activities, not selling pot to finance a meth habit or robbing houses.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 7 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #12

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Buy a battery...one of them deep cycle gel cells for boats, they are designed to run flat and come back up....while yer at it, jumper cables, a one gallon gas can (filled) and a AAA card.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 7 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 7 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Buy a battery...one of them deep cycle gel cells for boats, they are designed to run flat and come back up....while yer at it, jumper cables, a one gallon gas can (filled) and a AAA card.

Put gas stabilizer in the gas can, otherwise, sounds like a good "Oh Sh*t" kit.
Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 7 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #14

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

And for what its worth, needing a new battery is a learning experience. A real boner would be a "his fault" accident, street racing, or touching booze and then the wheel of his car, something like that (which we all did as new drivers, and hopefully got smarter quick.)

For a dead battery and no gas, I'd suggest getting him the new battery, a dose of good natured ribbing, and having him wash and wax your 914 ( I liked that suggestion.)

Zach
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 7 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #15

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

When I was about 12 my clutch scattered on my kart, my father made my go

to the library (No there wasn't an internet) and do an in-depth study on the

design of the internal combustion engine. I had to give an oral report on the

2 and 4 cycle engines, how they worked and why. Until I did this report I could

not touch my kart or order any parts. The knowledge I gained would not have

changed the clutch blowing up but it did give me a new perspective on maintain-

ance. And I also learned that "While I am in there..."
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 7 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #16

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Hi,
I have two driving.

Running out of Gas is pretty typical, hell they are typically broke, so I always keep gas around for that call...

The battery, well IMHO that is your fault...keep watching his car,,,he is not smart enough to do it.

I teach them each time something happens, I check the tire pressure regularly, I check all the fluids, when they are not looking.

If its a catastrophic failure, I end up either paying to fix it, or having to loan out a car, so it self preservation.

Once a week, we talk about their car for a few minutes, just so I can get a read on it.

I tend to drive them once per month, just to feel the steering/brakes etc...

Like Rick said above, I am happy to get the call, 24/7 and they know it.
I have gotten out of bed on a few occasions with the gas can.

I will miss them when they are gone, I got one in college now, and I miss him, the next one goes in next year...

the house gets more quiet, and life moves on...but cars keep us together to a certain extent.

Rich
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 7 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #17

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I think the mistake is bailing him out. When my car breaks down I don't call dad, mom, my friend, or anyone else. I call AAA. I'm the one who waits on the side of the road. I'm the one who is inconvenienced.

Buy him a $39 battery and make him wax the 914 (I like that idea) if he doesn't have the money. Make him buy a AAA membership for himself.
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post Mar 7 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,253

Dave:

Do what your wife tells ya to do...

Jeff Foxworthy - "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"...

Look forward to seeing ya again at the WCC in June...In my brand new 1973 teener...

Rick Evans

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 7 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Mar 7 2007, 06:13 AM) *

Maybe, I can't remember. It's been too long.

The kid has been doing the sound board for the school musical and they are in rehersal so he's had real long days. Anyway, he leaves the lights on in his bug and drains the battery. So, mom and dad are going to bail him out and head up to the school to bail him out. I jump it and we leave my Subi. There's not much gas but, I can't shut the thing off so we make a dash for home. Guess who had a long walk?

Would it have been so hard to say we'll need gas? I could have brought a gas can full.
Anyway, then it's bring back the gas can, jump the POS and bring it home. Oh ya, the charger wouldn't charge it so, mom says why don't you get the kid a new battery? Why can't he walk for a while until he can buy a new battery?

Let's see I seem to remember calling my dad at midnight one night cause the car couldn't go. When the tow truck driver came he found a broken U-joint and said I'm going to tell your old man what you were doing. Dad never said a word.

What do you think should I bust his balls or just get a new battery?

Dave,

You should thank whatever God you choose that your child feels he can call you for help. I have met many who would never call a parent. People who succeed in life seem to have more choices. This was Gerry's choice calling you and it seems like it brought him the result he wanted even if you and I know, he didn't need it. Life will teach him. You will remember this fondly one day. So for now... Smile, tell him the story about what you did and what your Dad did and know that one day he will have a child with a problem and his only preparation will be his time with you.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Mar 7 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Yeah, it's a pain to have to bail him out. And walk to get gas. And buy him a new battery. But you're the one that let him get an old car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In all seriousness.. My dad has bailed me out on countless occasions. I am always grateful and will always remember what he is willing to do for me. Not so much now, but when your kids get older, they won't have anyone they can turn to except themselves. It's nice and comforting to know they can always turn to their parents in their time of need. You don't want your son to have to resort to (insert whatever horrifying senario you can think of). I am always thankful that even though I'm 28 and self sufficient, in the back of my mind I know I can always ask my parents for help, and if they have the means to, they will.

My brother moved out when he went off to college, and has lived approx 350miles away since. He's 30 now. He rarely asked my parents for anything. As such, he feels like he can't really talk to them or ask for help when he needs it. Who else does he have? Well, his bachelor friends who will drink with him, and his roommates who share his food and washer & dryer. He has no one to turn to. Being bailed out aside (when you're 30, you really shouldn't have your parents bail you out anymore) he doesn't feel like he can talk about or share his problems with anyone. And that's a sad realization. Just some food for thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Jen

Edit: Damn.. Rotten Robby beat me to it. Be glad your son thought of asking you for help. The Don would probably a favor in return. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I know plenty of people as well that won't call their parents for anything. I can't even fathom it.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:43 PM