Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back to the basics, Its the little things in life...
grayson
post Nov 26 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,325

I just repaired my door handel mechinism. My hands are covered in red grease, and black grease. Its a simple job, but it took me an hour or so.

Thats not the point though, I've been driving my new toy to work since my daily driver (saab) cant hold a charge and my mechanic is of course on holiday. Driving the 914 more and more I realize jeez, theres a lot I need to have fixed, or looked at...

First of all, new oil and filter. What is a good recommendation? There is a bottle of 10W30 already from the seller, so I'm assuming I'll stick with that. What kind of filter? I cant get to the filter without a jack I assume, since I cant find it, and my Haynes book says its around the underside.

What does it mean when shifting into 2nd gear too soon makes the engine rattle? Same thing can happen in 3rd sometimes.
(I'm assuming this is because something on the engine is loose)

What does it mean when 1st gear almost always grinds when starting from a stand still after warming up? The only way I can avoid this it seems, is to shift into 1st before the car rev's to an idle speed.
(I'm assuming this is the synchromesh dieing)

Turning on the heater to full heat makes the cabin smell like its on fire! Does this mean the heater box is causing some kind electrical fire? Fan works, and pushing all the sliders to about half way doesnt heat up or cause the smell.

I think thats all I got for now. ANY help would be appreciated!

OH and can anyone recommend a 914 mechanic in the East Bay San Francisco area? I'm just on the other side of the Caldicott tunnel.

The engine is a 74 1.8 FI but the tranny is pre-73 linkage (its a hybrid really)

Again, thanks for any help at all!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Nov 26 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(grayson @ Nov 26 2003, 05:09 PM)
First of all, new oil and filter. What is a good recommendation? There is a bottle of 10W30 already from the seller, so I'm assuming I'll stick with that. What kind of filter? I cant get to the filter without a jack I assume, since I cant find it, and my Haynes book says its around the underside.

What does it mean when shifting into 2nd gear too soon makes the engine rattle? Same thing can happen in 3rd sometimes.

What does it mean when 1st gear almost always grinds when starting from a stand still after warming up? The only way I can avoid this it seems, is to shift into 1st before the car rev's to an idle speed.

Turning on the heater to full heat makes the cabin smell like its on fire! Does this mean the heater box is causing some kind electrical fire? Fan works, and pushing all the sliders to about half way doesnt heat up or cause the smell.

oil: 10W-30's a little thin, especially for where you live, but not horrible especially if no extended high-speed runs or track time is involved. use quality oil, something not Castrol or Pennzoil. Valvoline is widely available. i use Mobil-1 15W-50 but you may not be up for a synthetic changeover until you get more familiar with your engine.

filters - again - use quality, Mann, Knecht, Mahle, Purolator. NOT Fram. yes, it's underneath, kinda front-center.

how do you shift into 2nd "too soon" ? anyway - it sounds like wonky engine and/or transmission mounts. pretty common on cars with a lot of years on 'em...

1st gear grinds are age wear, but it's made worse by improper clutch adjustment; check that first. it's documented in your Haynes, and the procedure is non-intuitive. it is, however, correct.

probably the heat smell is your heat exhancgers have filled with oil leakage through the years - check your valve cover gaskets and pushrod tube seals. welcome to the joys of an aircooled car ...
+Quote Post
steve@ottosvenice.com
post Nov 26 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,324

Oil Fliter Mahle OC-61, Oil Wt 20-50 I use Valvo Mounts are probaley bad, Shift bushing are probaley worn also.Steve
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 26 2003, 07:34 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If you want your engine to last a long time use Mobil 1 and Mann or Mahle filters. You can change the oil without a jack if the car hasn't been lowered. But you have to know where everything is. The oil filter is on the passengers side just behind the mount bar. If your filter wasn't put on by some meat-head gorilla mechanic you should be able to twist it off by hand (hard but do-able) otherwise get a spider filter wrench (the kind with three arms that open and close to accommodate different size filters.

Engine rattling (if I understand what you're describing) could be engine mounts or could be oil leaking from the rear main seal and causing the clutch to slip. If you can start from first okay, then it's not the rear main.

The crunching going into first is probably a bad sychro. Start looking for another gear box. Check with EASY.

You can take out the heater blower pretty easy and take it apart. It sounds like you're mechanically inclined enough to do it. Exhaust leaks can cause Carbon Monoxide to leak into the heater air stream and can be dangerous. Be careful.

I know of a good 914 specialty shop in Novoto. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
grayson
post Nov 26 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Thanks guys!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 26 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

What rpm do you shift out of 1st @?

M
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 26 2003, 08:26 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Stop. Dont drive it. The engine rattle you are hearing is detonation. You need to check the timing. Basically you said: "if I short shift to second" this loads the motor pretty good... which tells me it is detonationg under load.

You will burn a cylinder head up if the timing is not set correctly.

B
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 26 2003, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Listen to Brad.

I was worried.

M
+Quote Post
grayson
post Nov 26 2003, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Thanks Brad. I'll keep off the car until I drive it to a shop. Speaking of which, I'll probably be calling your shop soon!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 26 2003, 09:46 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

That is fine.. in the mean time run some octane booster or 91 octane gas and see if it helps.

I have had 3 different cars get gas from 76 stations and have detonation problems.

B
+Quote Post
grayson
post Nov 26 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #11

Yes, its when I short shift. So if this is what you think it is, then its all the gas from 76? I made sure to use the highest octane stuff they had at the stations. =(
Will it have less of a damaging effect in cold weather?

Also, does this look fixable? Or would it be easier to just put a new one on? The light still works, but insurance wants the lense to be replaced.
http://vectorbug.com/914/LFquarter.jpg

Again, thanks for the replies, I feel kind of lame that this is my first thread and I'm just mooching for advice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 26 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

We/my body guy can fix it. His/our rates are acceptable and below the Bay area average of 75$ an hour for body work.

We also have the used turn signal pods for 20$ or so....

I think all 76 gas sucks right now... winter fuel.

B
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 26 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I agree with Brad.

First and foremost, find someone who KNOWS the Type IV engine, and don't spare a dime in going over the entire creature!

Fix what needs to be fixed, before you scatter something! Its all about tuning!
+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 26 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 22

grayson,

Don't fret to much about mooching advice here. We want 914's on the road. After a bit, you'll no doubt get a chance to contribute!

kim.
+Quote Post
grayson
post Nov 26 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #15

Great. Looks like octane boost and a half a tank of non-76 gas seemed to "do the trick". Never-the-less it looks like I'll be making my way to all914 in a couple weeks.

Now its time to watch the original Italian Job.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 27 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Do you own a copy of the movie? Or is it on TV? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 27 2003, 12:10 AM
Post #17

Engine Surgeon

I just watched that a few days ago.....Better than the new one!

Yep, take the car to Brad and drop a few coins. I talk to alot of guys about engines, but Brad is by far one of the most knowledgeable of the TIV creature! Thats why HE is MY representative for the west coast!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 27 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Wait until we have a NorCal 914 club day when we go out to several JunkYards and BUY all of their T4 engines (for your use). We will send out "scoping" parties the weekend before and make a plan of attack with a open car trailer and my crew cab... should be fun.

B
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 27 2003, 02:08 AM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Damn, I have a buddy that sometimes comes back from Cali with an almost empty 53' trailer!

Lets plan that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 27 2003, 02:11 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

We could actually cross breed with STF and have some of the VW guy's help us locate engines.. maybe give a small discount on future RAT engine purchases for those who participate. Just a thought.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:09 AM