Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back to the basics, Its the little things in life...
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Nov 27 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #21

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Group: Members
Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

Okay, two of you have mentioned using synthetic oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I thought I was the only one who liked the stuff in an air-cooled engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Nov 27 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #22

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 27 2003, 09:17 AM)
... two of you have mentioned using synthetic oil I thought I was the only one who liked the stuff in an air-cooled engine

why would you think this ?

the only issue is that most of these air-cooled engines are -old- engines, many with unknown service histories (and oil leaks). synthetic can be a very efficient leak-finder...

most of the T-IV's found in 914's are low-compression, low-revving engines used on the street. in this kind of service, especially if you're changing the oil every 3,000 mi anyway, it's hard to justify the additional expense. the 911E is a 9.1 compression engine i turn to 6500 rpm with some regularity.

i was planning semi-annual oil changes but i just did it a 4th time since June. (and on not very many miles.)
9 quarts of Mobil-1 and a filter - the cost adds up... i do plan to keep this oil in there for a while tho ...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 27 2003, 02:23 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

ALL I use in my personal engines.......is synthetic oils!

Royal Purple and Valvoline all the way. Mobil 1 is for 911s, not TIVs. Tried it, dynoed it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 27 2003, 07:46 PM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 26 2003, 10:16 PM)
Wait until we have a NorCal 914 club day when we go out to several JunkYards and BUY all of their T4 engines (for your use). We will send out "scoping" parties the weekend before and make a plan of attack with a open car trailer and my crew cab... should be fun.

B

What, like this?!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 27 2003, 07:55 PM
Post #25

Engine Surgeon

Uh, I think I have an erection.............

I have 300 engines, but its not enough!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 27 2003, 09:57 PM
Post #26

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

My 2002 Dodge pickup started rattling when I step on it, ever since the switch to winter ethanol gas at the pumps a week or so ago. The computer figures it out after a half second though and it stops rattling. Too bad the d-jet doesn't compensate for sh$t gas.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Nov 28 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #27

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 27 2003, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 27 2003, 09:17 AM)
... two of you have mentioned using synthetic oil    I thought I was the only one who liked the stuff in an air-cooled engine

why would you think this ?

Because many people I talk with about synthetic in an air-cooled engine (let me specify...VW air-cooled engine) look at me like I attempted to fornicate with a goat in front of them. "They" say the engine will over-heat and leak like crazy blah blah blah. I have had neither problem and am a strong advocate of pure synthetic oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've done my required reading (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) However, I will tell ANYONE that if they stick to the standard oil change interval w/synthetic they are wasting their time and money. I double to triple the oil change interval. The filter, however, should still be changed per the manufacturer's recommendation. Like I said, I did my synthetic oil research.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2003, 12:29 AM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

I have went over 10K miles in my 912E with the same oil (Royal Purple 20/50) I don't change it till I see it start to smoke between shifts. that means its gassed out and broken down.

I have been using synthetic in one Bus engine for 45K, went 2 solid years without an oil change. Just swap filters every 1500 miles.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:46 AM