Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A theoretical question
Tobra
post Mar 10 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,634

Say I was out walking my dogs, and I came to an intersection and waited for the signal to change. After I get the green light, and begin to cross, I notice some douche in a rabbit convertible approaching the intersection at a high rate of speed(say 60 mph in a 40 zone), with no apparent intention of stopping for his red light, indeed he seems to be accelerating. If I were to pick up a 5 lb piece of concrete, or a similar object, and lob it at him, aiming for say, the middle of his windshield, and struck his car with it as he crossed the crosswalk I was attempting to use, would that be a crime?

I only ask because this happened today and I refrained from lobbing a heavy object into his path, though I was sorely tempted, as there happened to be some broken conrete at my feet as he passed a few meters in front of me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Mar 10 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

Wow! Intresting! 2 things come to mind: Self defense and Self preservation.(sp) Which would you choose? You would have to prove you could not get out of the way. On the other hand it is like making a citizen arrest (but with a chunk of concrete). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 10 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

At best a misdemeanor ......................................

You can't just throw stuff at passing cars, and self defense would require a HUGE reach in reasoning to accept, because you had ample opportunity and ability to remain out of the path of the approaching vehicle. Whether or not you had the right of way is immaterial, what you're suggesting is vigilantism.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
brer
post Mar 10 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I think you would have to let her hit you before you start throwing rocks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 10 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

If your body bounced off the windscreen you would not get in trouble but like

the Cap'n said you could get out of the way. You could be charged with assault,

as much as we would like to pummel someone like that you need to let karma

get even for you. Good thing you were paying attention. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 10 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

At best a misdemeanor ......................................

You can't just throw stuff at passing cars, and self defense would require a HUGE reach in reasoning to accept, because you had ample opportunity and ability to remain out of the path of the approaching vehicle. Whether or not you had the right of way is immaterial, what you're suggesting is vigilantism.

The Cap'n

OOPS, a repost. Sorry!
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Mar 10 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 538

Let's say you were carrying a brick - for use at your home renovation project of course - and let's say that in your dive back to safety you accidently released the brick and it hit the car. How does that sound? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 10 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #8

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(soloracer @ Mar 10 2007, 01:57 PM) *

Let's say you were carrying a brick - for use at your home renovation project of course - and let's say that in your dive back to safety you accidently released the brick and it hit the car. How does that sound? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Unavoidable? I mean unavoidable...yeah thats the ticket.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Mar 10 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

"You can't just throw stuff at passing cars..."

I'm sure it would be easy to find a lawyer who would argue that he wasnt throwing it at a car, the unlawful motorist simply drove his car in the path of Toby's physics experiment:)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 10 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

As you where diving to get out of the way of a speeding motorist that was going to fail to stop at a red light, you tripped and the brick flew out of your hand? Did you get hurt? Are you ok?..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
just make sure that the accidental projectile hits the car and try not to go through the windshield. that makes things ugly. use your phone and video the intersection.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 07:40 AM