Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wrecked. What to do?
abbott295
post Mar 11 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,468

Thanks everyone for your input, suggestions and experessions of, I don't know what to call it, concern, relief or whateever that Peter is all right. He is already using the arm again, although with some pain limiting some movements of the hand, mostly and didn't even bother getting the prescription for pain medicine.

Drum corps: He is in Spirit from JSU, Jacksonville, Alabama. What's yours? His brother was in Phantom Regiment last year and again this year. Going for No. 1!

I'm leaning toward keeping the car unless the salvage guy offers me $500 net or better even though I don't have time for another project or racing. I'm thinking of looking for another driveable one and cannibalize this as needed, if needed. My other fun car (1975 BMW 1502, a european model) came with a lot of parts but I have hardly needed to use any in 4 years.

In the second picture, the sharper part of the curve is behind the photographer and the car came from that direction and ended up just past the NX and I'm sorry but that isn't the picture that you can see skid marks in. And speaking of pictures, I know how to type and edit my typing, but I let Peter put in pictures and he's back to school now and is thinking he'll be driving the Bimmer when he's ready to get back in the saddle. Hmmmm...

Does that catch up on most of the questions so far?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 11 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #22

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

914's and Bimmers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Mar 11 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

As others, I am glad your son is not hurt bad. Sometimes it takes the smaller edge of driving and an accident to keep us from being in a worse one later.
Your description of what you did with the 914 before this accident says you really enjoy just having one to drive. Working on one that is heavily damaged and has an engine that you said isn't in the best of mechanical order say look at another rather than peck around on one damagwed like that. The chrome bumpers are worth abot $300 if they didn't get damaged which may suggest you part it out but having to deal with it is not worth doing for the money you would get.
Look in the classified here at 914world. Parts. Then access what you think is good on yours that you can sell. If you can't do better than twice the price of the offer for your car, sell it to someone that has a 914 here on the 914world for the same price you are offered by the tow person. The goodwill will return itself time and again.
914's are not expensive to buy. Just expensive to make it a daily driver cream puff that everyone wants. Look around. There is probably another 914 waiting for you at about $1500 to $2500 that will put you right back where you were before the accident. Good luck.
Look at my web page. Mine does all the same things yours did and I still keep it until I can get some help to fix the leaky push rod tube seals. Want to fix those leaks on mine, I'll sell it to YOU for $1600 CASH AS IS but you will have to pick it up.

Mike Cooley
Oakfield TN
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Mar 12 2007, 04:55 AM
Post #24

You indicate your 914 isn't highway reliable. What problems do you thinkit has? I think we had just changed a caliper to get this one to that point. Peter was starting to get his mechanical abilities started with this. Small steps for starters, but this is how we get them involved, yes?

And how much are five Fuchs wheels worth? But I think some have some scratches or possibly more damage. I don't have them to look at fight now, but I thought they still looked useable.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 12 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #25

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(abbott295 @ Mar 12 2007, 06:55 AM) *

And how much are five Fuchs wheels worth? But I think some have some scratches or possibly more damage. I don't have them to look at fight now, but I thought they still looked useable.

4 Lugs worth between 300 - 600 depending on how bad they are scratched.
Well, okay, 0 - 600 damage dependant.

If they are 5 lug, more.

Zach
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Mar 12 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(abbott295 @ Mar 12 2007, 04:55 AM) *

You indicate your 914 isn't highway reliable. What problems do you thinkit has? I think we had just changed a caliper to get this one to that point. Peter was starting to get his mechanical abilities started with this. Small steps for starters, but this is how we get them involved, yes?

I have no idea about mine other than it does run. I paid $1500 plus $300 to get it trailed here from Texas. It has sat mostly since I discovered "again" I am not a mechanic but just an old 71 year old retired machinist. I make machines from scratch, not repair them after John Screwitallup has neglected it for years.

I really am not trying to sell you my 914 but I will if you want it just as it sits. I am just suggesting they are there at those prices mentioned but will sell mine if you are up to the task of doing lots of minor works to make it reliable enough to take off down a highway. Around here, that would be dumb since there isn't anyone around that would help me get it back home except one of those tow truck jockeys adding cost to the paid for price.

Talk in these 914 places says different, but usually the talk is BS when you live in a rural area, not the western part of the USA, and nobody around for miles has one of these Porsche 914's disguised by a VW stamped on it.

Fuchs are cool even with some scratches. Start at $150 per the set if scratched are scratches, not gouged, and upward to $300 for the normal shiny set including the lug bolts. Make your sales a local pickup and you'll be doing a long wait but shipping does slap the crap out of your efforts selling to far away places. Get your money any way you can but be long winded in your descriptions. Some will nit pick even though they don't intend to buy even a cheesehead screw.

As far as teaching the kids they probably know more than most parents about these cars. My son is my example. He knew more about the wiring problems than most on here when he was 14. Problem was he just didn't want to share that with me or anyone else but give them the key to any car and they will get it running, burn a few tanks of gas and then break something that cost money so they walk away and find something more dependable. My son is now too busy and lives in a different city so I don't ask help from him.

These cars are not the best thing to attract girls who prefer to have ac and a comfortable ride. Some like the weird attraction of men who think these 914's are special and maybe these women think they will look special too. Thank GOD I met my wife before getting one of these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
BTW, these comments are my own opinion. I don't lie well so I tell exactly how I think. Remember. The only one that cares what you think is yourself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Good luck
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Mar 12 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #27

My kids never showed any interest in learning anything mechanical until after learning to drive, so he's just starting. But he actually wired in a starter button by himself and was trying the caliper. Both of the boys learned to drive stick in the Bimmer. Porsche came after. My wife has actually suggested finding a replacement 914. I'm not stuck on that; there are so many fun cars out there, but I think any roadster would have to have a rollbar before it went very far. Even the NX is a fun drive.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 12 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I have learned that most teenagers dont really give a hoot about cars untill they actually start driving.
I was a rare case.. started learning things when I was really young.. heck I learned some darn good sbc combo's from some of the best game/simulators out there..

Theres lots of good cars out there.. The 914 happens to be the one most us chose to spend time with!
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 12 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #29

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 13 2007, 12:02 AM) *

I have learned that most teenagers dont really give a hoot about cars untill they actually start driving.
I was a rare case.. started learning things when I was really young.. heck I learned some darn good sbc combo's from some of the best game/simulators out there..

Theres lots of good cars out there.. The 914 happens to be the one most us chose to spend time with!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have loved cars since I was little, but the real passion comes from most with a license.

I'm not sure what you are thinking of for a replacement car, btu I do have to say that I have been dissatisfied with every NSX I have been in. Their lack of trunk space really gets me too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Mar 13 2007, 06:10 AM
Post #30

This is an NX, not NSX. I think they are differnt cars.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 13 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #31

Its alive

Ah, I read that too fast. Nissan . . . interesting.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Mar 13 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2007, 10:02 PM) *

My son had those same game inspirations as well. The outlets we provide our kids in early years is a history lesson they never forget but as always, the 914 was somewhere in their early need for speed background.
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Mar 13 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #33

Okay. Thanks for all the input. I haven't heard from the salvage yard yet, so there is time to run another idea past you all again.

What does anyone think of getting the windshield fixed and the bent back wheel (Peter may post some more pictures soon), attempt to straighten the rollbar and keep driving it.

I see someone else is asking for advice also on a wrecked 914.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 13 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #34

Its alive

QUOTE(abbott295 @ Mar 13 2007, 07:55 PM) *

Okay. Thanks for all the input. I haven't heard from the salvage yard yet, so there is time to run another idea past you all again.

What does anyone think of getting the windshield fixed and the bent back wheel (Peter may post some more pictures soon), attempt to straighten the rollbar and keep driving it.

Go for it. I would cut off the windshield frame, have a new one welded on, then fix the roll bar and drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 13 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I love the picture of Malibu Gran Prix with the 914 in the back ground.
Chris
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Mar 13 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 13 2007, 06:53 PM) *

I love the picture of Malibu Gran Prix with the 914 in the back ground.
Chris

Yes that was one of our 914's back in about 79 or 80. I had six of them sitting at home and at a farm just as nice as that background 914. I dropped the photo into this thread because we got a little off "wrecked it" subject and started talking about the kids.
We teach them what we like and sometimes that is not exactly what they have in their own mind. My picture of the Malibu Gran Prix was showing my son's being inspired by the racer he sat in and his inherited from me, curosity, looking around to see how it functioned.
The guy never would have let us in the gate if we hadn't cruised up in the 914. They hadn't even opened the Malibu GP business for business since they were prepping up for opening day that coming week end. The 914 impressed the guy just as much as the racer impressed my son. He took my kid around the track a few times and we returned the favor by letting him whiz the 914 around.
In a way this fits the thread since it looks like the state of the accident brought some closer attention of driver and son just as the racer pix shows my pride.

As I always do, I will delete the pix after the subject hits middle of 2nd page so snag a copy.
+Quote Post
carambola
post Mar 13 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 3,007

i looks to me like your man hung it out a bit too far this time. turn this one into a cheap racecar (if there is such a beast) and get a replacement. just a thought
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 13 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #38

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Finding the parts to fix it up shouldn't be a problem. Window frame, Windshield, targa bar, targa top?. A couple front turnsignal buckets & lenses is all I can see from the one picture posted.

To get a better idea of what it needs and the damage, we would need to see more pictures (sides, at angles and rear).
+Quote Post
HeavyHeavy
post Mar 13 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 6,177

QUOTE(abbott295 @ Mar 13 2007, 05:55 PM) *

Well I can say I know more or less what you are going
through. Depending on what happens with mine, I might have
a car for you to fix up (the turquoise colored one from my
post I mean).
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Mar 14 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #40

Here are some more pictures.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:30 AM