Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ok, so my new 914 arrives today!
Bogaat
post Mar 15 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,436

I will obviously post pics when it gets here. I am thinking I should change the oil and adjust the valves tonight. I do not yet have any manuals for this guy, so I figured I could just ask you guys.

1) What are the adjustments for the valves? This is a stock 74 2 liter.
2) How much oil does this thing take and what type should I get? Any recommendations on filters available through the standard part stores?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Joe Bob
post Mar 15 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Welcome to the insanity.......

Look in the archives via search for the "Kaptain Krusty" valve adjustment thread. The type IV is an "interesting" car to adjust.....beyond the spec, there's a procedure.

As to oil filters....DO NOT USE FRAM. They are junk. I use Mahle....they are available via Pelican, Auto Atlanta or the dealer.....I usually wait for a sale or pickup 5 or more when I see them on eBay.
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 15 2007, 08:37 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

from the workshop manual

Attached File(s)
Attached File  tech_DATA.doc ( 53.5k ) Number of downloads: 90
+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Mar 15 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #4

Does this thing really have a 16 gallon tank? My bug only holds 10! So I guess 20W-50 will do for oil?
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Mar 15 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #5

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Mar 15 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Does this thing really have a 16 gallon tank? My bug only holds 10! So I guess 20W-50 will do for oil?

You can go quite far on a full tank of gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

20W50 is good, though many are starting to use Rotella 15W40 (do a search for Rotella)

And to reinforce -- don't EVER use Fram oil filters. Never never never.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 15 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

I use Mobil 1 20w50 & K&N oil filters. Makes it a bit pricey but everything has stayed cool & clean for a long time now so I can't complain. Cold valve clearances are: intake (0.006"/0.15mm) & exhaust (0.008"/0.20mm). Enjoy the new toy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 15 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yea imagine 16 gallon tank with and early 1.7L making 32+ MPG. I had a ratio of having to stop and pee twice before needing gas.
+Quote Post
sk8kat1
post Mar 15 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,937

ok I gotta ask why is fram sooo bad for the car ? .. never used one I got a lot of oil filter with the car
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 15 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

No oil bypass valve.....also if you look at the cross references, they use the filter on A LOT of other vehicles so they cut corners to make it generic.

They are too long/tall for use with a sandwhich plate and a 2.0 engine cross bar....
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 15 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Mar 15 2007, 09:20 AM) *

ok I gotta ask why is fram sooo bad for the car ? .. never used one I got a lot of oil filter with the car

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

google "fram oil filter" and make you own assessment.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Mar 15 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #11

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I run 20W50 here in the desert.

I would invest in a HAYNES 914 Manual.. they can be had on E-bay for around $20. Its not perfect but it is nice to have some exploded diagrams, fluid levels, specs, etc.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 15 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #12

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Haynes also sells the manual directly and ships new to your house for about $20.
It's always a close call where to find the best 914 info, in the manual or here! Manual wins for torques specs, World wins for photos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gary gartner
post Mar 15 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #13

i know more than a newbie---way less than a guru

Member No.: 3,294
Region Association: Southern California

I would recommend also getting Auto Atlanta's Tech Tips 700, I think it is very helpful
Oh yeah (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Gary

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Mar 15 2007, 06:13 AM) *

I will obviously post pics when it gets here. I am thinking I should change the oil and adjust the valves tonight. I do not yet have any manuals for this guy, so I figured I could just ask you guys.

1) What are the adjustments for the valves? This is a stock 74 2 liter.
2) How much oil does this thing take and what type should I get? Any recommendations on filters available through the standard part stores?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 15 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #14

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Mar 16 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #15

Ok, here is one from the previous owner. It came last night and I drove it to work today! I am a little freaked out as it has only been driven 300 miles in the last ten years! I can tell because of the tire receipt which was only 300 miles previous dated 1997. I am not sure just yet if they have any flat spots from sitting. I think the car still has the same gas...eek. It seems to drive well enough though. I figured I would burn it and fill it up later today with some good stuff. The shifting is a little sloppy, so I think it will need new bushings. It also has some vibration around 60mph, so I am guessing it needs to have the wheels balanced. Overall the car is in great shape. It only has 60k original miles and apears to have one repaint years ago. It has minimal rust which is a nice thing. Of course, there are a few spots to fix. I am planning on pulling the engine in a few weeks to do a rebuild. It doesn't leak too much and doesn't smoke, but I am thinking it should be done. I do plan on driving it every day. Hopefully you guys won't get too annoyed with all of my questions!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
type11969
post Mar 16 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

I'd consider replacing those tires, 10 years old? The could be dry rotted! Otherwise definitely a nice looking ride.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 16 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #17

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I can tell you first hand that dry rotted tires only gets you so far until they rip apart and shred on you while you're going 75 trying to get home to get new tires..

+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Mar 16 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #18

Yeah, but they actually look really good. You would never guess they were that old. We will see as I start knocking things out.

QUOTE(type11969 @ Mar 16 2007, 10:21 AM) *

I'd consider replacing those tires, 10 years old? The could be dry rotted! Otherwise definitely a nice looking ride.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 16 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #19

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Mar 16 2007, 06:18 AM) *

Ok, here is one from the previous owner. It came last night and I drove it to work today! I am a little freaked out as it has only been driven 300 miles in the last ten years! I can tell because of the tire receipt which was only 300 miles previous dated 1997. I am not sure just yet if they have any flat spots from sitting. I think the car still has the same gas...eek. It seems to drive well enough though. I figured I would burn it and fill it up later today with some good stuff. The shifting is a little sloppy, so I think it will need new bushings. It also has some vibration around 60mph, so I am guessing it needs to have the wheels balanced. Overall the car is in great shape. It only has 60k original miles and apears to have one repaint years ago. It has minimal rust which is a nice thing. Of course, there are a few spots to fix. I am planning on pulling the engine in a few weeks to do a rebuild. It doesn't leak too much and doesn't smoke, but I am thinking it should be done. I do plan on driving it every day. Hopefully you guys won't get too annoyed with all of my questions!

Attached Image

Bogaat,

Welcome to new ownership. You have a beautiful 914.

Now for my advise....Don't pull that motor, fix a few things like tires, etc and drive the 914 this summer. New owners make the mistake of wanting it perfect & it ends up on jack stands for many years. Enjoy the 914 a few years before starting major repairs. Once the motor comes out you will find hundreds of other things needing repairs.

Why do I say this!! I started with a simple clutch repair & minor paint touchup. Five years later, 2,500 of my manhours plus other services I finished. I also should mention money, lots of it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Tom
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 16 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #20

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 16 2007, 10:48 AM) *

Now for my advise....Don't pull that motor, fix a few things like tires, etc and drive the 914 this summer. New owners make the mistake of wanting it perfect & it ends up on jack stands for many years. Enjoy the 914 a few years before starting major repairs. Once the motor comes out you will find hundreds of other things needing repairs.

Why do I say this!! I started with a simple clutch repair & minor paint touchup. Five years later, 2,500 of my manhours plus other services I finished. I also should mention money, lots of it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Tom

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 100%. Get her going. Change your brake fluid & check your brakes for abnormal wear. Change engine & gear oil. Get a K&N air filter. Replace your plugs, wires, cap, rotor & points or ignition module. Adjust those valves. Clean & lube every hinge, latch & tumbler. Wash & treat all your rubber body seals. Get new tires & use the tire calculator here on the website to find the right size. Cheap tires can be obtained at both the Tirerack.com & Discounttiredirect.com. Keep your eyes & ears open & look for problems. Any immediate rust issues shuld just be stopped for now & made pretty later. Drive her this summer, get used to her & work all the bugs out... it is a 30+ yr old car! When it's all said & done you'll love it even more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:42 AM