Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery cutoff switch..., Will it damage the alternator?
alpha434
post Mar 25 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #1

My member number is no coincidence.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I've got some really nice battery cutoff switches, with just the two contacts. I heard from a buddy that when you use it, inline with just the negative side of the battery (or pos, etc.) you can blow the diodes in the alternator when you disconnect. But even though he happens to be an engineer, he can't explain to me why. Or the mechanism that causes it to blow.

Can anyone tell me why I can't use these switches, or that this is indeed a real danger? Thanks!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
john rogers
post Mar 25 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 391

With an alternator, you will need the extra connection module on the bottom of the kill switch that includes the big resister (I think it is) to ground so when the switch is thrown to kill the engine it will stop the engine. Otherwise the engine can continue to run on the alternator and it will burn up.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Mar 25 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #3

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(john rogers @ Mar 25 2007, 03:24 PM) *

With an alternator, you will need the extra connection module on the bottom of the kill switch that includes the big resister (I think it is) to ground so when the switch is thrown to kill the engine it will stop the engine. Otherwise the engine can continue to run on the alternator and it will burn up.

Or you can have the alternator and battery on one side of the kill switch, everything else on the other side. This way the ignition, injection, instruments, etc are on one side of the switch and your alt/battery on the other. Hit the kill switch, car dies.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 25 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Brando. That was how I planned on doing it. Will that damage the system at all when the switch is thrown.

I'm not going to use it day to day. But If I'm already in a situation to use it, then I don't need any more damage to my car.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 25 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #5

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

It is my understanding that this will eventually destroy the alternator. The safe way is as John Rogers mentions. The main positive cable is broken by the large set of contacts. Separate contacts will shunt the alternator to ground via a load resistor.

The single pole disconnect switches are no better than disconnecting the battery with the engine running (not recommended as it will eventually destroy the alternator).

The multiple pole disconnect switches are the only safe way to wire in a kill switch.

Here is a PDF file with directions:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Porsche_Kill_switch.pdf ( 99.17k ) Number of downloads: 180
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 25 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

if you need just an ignition kill, and have an aftermarket cdi box, you can use the power lead to the BOX to kill
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 26 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #7

I figured it out. Kill the power input into the coil. BAM! Dead. And there's a wire to do just that at the ignition. And the fuel pump wire too... Perfect.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:20 PM