Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Superlite 15x7 25+ offset 4 lug 4x130 wheels, for those of you looking for something different
BigFour1973
post Oct 20 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,126
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2016, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Oct 20 2016, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2016, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Oct 20 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Yes, that's the plan. Do you recall the offsets you ran? Did you run spacers? If so what size were the spacers

The wheels are just sitting in the garage - let me go look and post back here.

Much appreciated! If they're collecting dust would you be willing to part with them?

I definitely want to part with them. They have been in the garage for a year now. I used to run two 1/4" spacers with them. 7" X 15" (205/60) up front and 8" X 15" (225/60) in the rears.

I will measure backspacing tomorrow morning.

Great, thank you very much!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 20 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 20 2016, 05:52 PM) *

I have Hankook Ventus 2 tires on the car now. Good tires - but I haven't really pushed them to see how grippy they are. I know AZ914 is running the same tires on his 3.2L 914 and he might have a better idea.

How were the BFGs on a 914? That's what I am really curious about. Did they seem like a performance tire and appropriate for a 914, or did they feel like a floaty American car tire? Been wondering about this for a very long time, as I like their period-correct appearance on 914s. I'd probably run the black letters, but liked the white letters on your car with the black wheels. Pretty cool look.

Would be curious for your take on the BFGs after you get a chance to push the Ventus 2s, as well.

Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Oct 21 2016, 07:16 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 20 2016, 08:43 PM) *

How were the BFGs on a 914? That's what I am really curious about. Did they seem like a performance tire and appropriate for a 914, or did they feel like a floaty American car tire? Been wondering about this for a very long time, as I like their period-correct appearance on 914s. I'd probably run the black letters, but liked the white letters on your car with the black wheels. Pretty cool look.

Would be curious for your take on the BFGs after you get a chance to push the Ventus 2s, as well.

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately I will never have an apples to apples comparison. When I went to 5 lug Fuchs I changed my rear shock/spring package at the same time so everything is different. I also went to a 16" wheel so I could have more tire options in the future. I also went wider tires front and rear. and went from a 60 series tire to a 50 series tire (it kept my speedometer spot on). So many changes that it is difficult to tell. I don't think I would consider the BFG a performance tire. The Hankooks maybe a little better. They are a directional tire with a more aggressive tread pattern.

When I bought the car it had the tire mounted with the raised white letters facing out. I think I would have gone black letters as well. The 914 guys at Route 66 Classic nicknamed them NASCAR tires! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 21 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Ah, so the car was wearing those tires when you got it? Have always thought it was kind of a cool alternative look. In any event...SHARP CAR!

Main interest in the BFGs is the desirable 205/60R15 sizing and super simple "1970s right" sidewalls. Have wondered if the construction or compound has been improved despite the vintage appearance—and have also wondered whether these are better than anything one could have gotten in the early 1970s anyway (such as XWX, etc.). I saw one early 911 running the BFG Comp T/As in Carmel during car week a few years ago. It was a stand-up car, and the tires looked very "right" on it—he had the black letters facing out. Would have loved to talk to the owner about his experiences.

I went with Avon CR6ZZ tires to get that vintage look with decent performance, and can report that they're nice—but not sure I would do them again due to $.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 25 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #65

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 21 2016, 07:30 PM) *

Ah, so the car was wearing those tires when you got it? Have always thought it was kind of a cool alternative look. In any event...SHARP CAR!

Main interest in the BFGs is the desirable 205/60R15 sizing and super simple "1970s right" sidewalls. Have wondered if the construction or compound has been improved despite the vintage appearance—and have also wondered whether these are better than anything one could have gotten in the early 1970s anyway (such as XWX, etc.). I saw one early 911 running the BFG Comp T/As in Carmel during car week a few years ago. It was a stand-up car, and the tires looked very "right" on it—he had the black letters facing out. Would have loved to talk to the owner about his experiences.

I went with Avon CR6ZZ tires to get that vintage look with decent performance, and can report that they're nice—but not sure I would do them again due to $.

@horizontally-opposed
Pete,@Eric_Shea is running BFGs.

It occurred to me that I never posted a picture of these wheels with the caps Jeff made. @sixnotfour

So here's a 13 year later follow up.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 25 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

^ Super cool, Gint!

Center caps are one of the trickiest things with so many of the aftermarket wheels for the 914, and aftermarket wheels in general. That's a really nice solution…
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 26 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #67

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20

Jeff gets all the credit. He made those remotely with dimensions I gave him over the phone.

The caps that came with the wheels were cheezy, tall plastic chrome. Ick...
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 26 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #68

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 21 2016, 08:30 PM) *

I like them. They're better than the Pirelli's I had on there.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:19 AM