Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Right turn signal issue, Their is still a gremlin although I have killed off a few!
buck toenges
post Apr 1 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

O.K. Left turn signal works great. R turn signal blows #9 fuse.
Here are the details:
1) When r. turn signal wires are connected to hazard switch and hazard switch is turned on blown fuse.
2) When key switch power is on left turn signals work great but when I turn on the r side there is a buzzing clicking sound like it really wants to work but then #9 fuse blows. The r turn signal light on tach lights up slightly before fuse blows.
3) When power is off and R. turn signal is activated the front turn signal lights up and the back side marker and the 3rd light from the outside in turns on(same as left side).

I have searched the forum for some ideas.
Could it be a bad turn signal switch?
How do I check for a short in the wires? How do I check for continuity in the turn signal?
Because the #9 fuse blows when I connect the r. turn signal wires to the turned on hazard switch indicate a wiring short other then the turn signal?

Checking for a grounded wire with continuity confuses me. If I take a wire and connect my multimeter to on end and then connect the other end of my multimeter to a grounded source should that make it continuity? My multimeter is set up to beep when continuity is reached.

Can you guys descibe how to check the wires for a shorted wire?
Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
SGB
post Apr 1 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #2

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

First take out the bulb and try it . See if the dash light glows. The bulb could be in wrong. Or the ground wire could be in the wrong spot.

The challenge with continuity testing is that there is always a connection - but maybe through the bulb filament, or meter, or whatever. I always try to isolate whatever I am testing from the rest of the car's wiring while I do the actual test...
+Quote Post
pin31
post Apr 2 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,492
Region Association: North East States

I had a simular problem. Remove the front turn signal assembly and check the wiring to the right turn signal/parking/side marker. The PO had them reversed.

I also had the licence plate light wired reversed. The combination had weird effects.

+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Apr 5 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

Found the problem! exposed wire on the turn signal switch. Put on some black electrical tape on the exposed wire and presto. No fuse blown when putting on the hazzard switch and no blown fuse when I hit the turn switch to the right.
Next issue...... Getting the vacuum line hooked up right on the motor.
Buck
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Apr 5 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,634

the bird has a nice diagram of vacuum hose routing
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:49 PM