Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Q: for you 3.6L guys out there ..., fuel delivery?
SirAndy
post Apr 6 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

so, i spent a few hours this morning digging through the porsche-parts stash at Parts Heaven to find all the bits and pieces needed to make the 993 fuel delivery system work with my 914.

got all them banjo-fittings and assorted hardware ...

now my question is:

i had a good look at a 993 and it seems like all the fuel hoses are larger diameter than what i have on my 914.
it is my understanding that the 993 fuel pump does not really suck, but is simply fed by gravity.
the stock 993 hose from the pump to the bottom of the tank is HUGE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

i got the stainless fuel lines in the center tunnel, but now i'm wondering if i'm going to starve my engine of fuel with the stock 914 components ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
911quest
post Apr 6 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,773
Region Association: South East States

I dont think it would be a big deal the factory lines are two different sizes use the small for the return and the larger for the feed not sure if the stainless ones are the same dia. as stock. The stock pump probably pushes 35 psi or so. I would think it will work no problem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Apr 6 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2007, 01:55 PM) *

so, i spent a few hours this morning digging through the porsche-parts stash at Parts Heaven to find all the bits and pieces needed to make the 993 fuel delivery system work with my 914.

got all them banjo-fittings and assorted hardware ...

now my question is:

i had a good look at a 993 and it seems like all the fuel hoses are larger diameter than what i have on my 914.
it is my understanding that the 993 fuel pump does not really suck, but is simply fed by gravity.
the stock 993 hose from the pump to the bottom of the tank is HUGE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

i got the stainless fuel lines in the center tunnel, but now i'm wondering if i'm going to starve my engine of fuel with the stock 914 components ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Andy

Sorry, Andy, but I don't have any direct experience with a 3.6 in a 914. However, in general, fluid pumps are very sensitive to inlet depression; that is they push better than they pull. You might find that your system works well most of the time, but on hot days (low fuel density) when the tank is low (less head pressure), you might struggle with localized cavitation at the inlet to the pump. My suggestion would be to have a new larger fitting welded into the bottom of the tank.

How about that for a comment from the uninformed audience? What the heck, just use the stock fittings and see if it works...
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Apr 7 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

I'm running a stock 964 fuel pump and I'm using s/s lines front to rear and have had no problems at all. I have my fuel pump mounted up front in the stock '75-'76 location and I ran both s/s lines at the same diameter (large), rather than 1 large and 1 small. I'm using a stock 964 fuel filter too. I don't think you'll have a problem if your setup is similar.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:10 PM