Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 9:14 Breakfasts in 2004, What do you think?
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 1 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I've been thinking about a slight revision to the 9:14 breakfasts here in the Bay Area starting in January 04 to make them better. Tell me what you think please, so I can plan...For all yous guys beyond the reaches of the Bay Area...You are invited too, but don't be afraid to start your own local 9:14 Breakfast if you cant make ours! NoVA did it and they are having lotsa fun!

I know we all like to meet and talk about 914s...but driving them is even mo' better and mo' fun. So instead of meeting just to wait inside a restaurant for tables...lets just go for a drive. You'd need to get your own breakfast beforehand...unless you live on donuts and coffee...

So the thought is to still meet at 9:14 am as normal (maybe a bit earlier if we want to start the drive promptly at 9:14) but just for quick coffee and donuts. Maybe every other or every third month (TBD), chase some twisty roads instead of a sit-down breakfast every month. The drives would alternate months with the regular breakfast and we could meet at different places around the Bay Area for variety.

Is this a winner, or would you prefer to stick to the current regular sit-down breakfasts?

We have alot to talk about after the first of the year (club bizness you know) with the WC Classic and all, so I dont intend to drive every month.

If this works, I could sure use some help from different local chairpersons in the East Bay and North Bay if anyone can volunteer to select the local meet sites and drive routes. I dont expect it to be much work. Let me know if you are interested.

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
krk
post Dec 1 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 22

Jeff,

I do like the idea of mixing things up a little. There's a difference between the meet's we have in the BigMac lot as opposed to the IHop location. In the BM case, we never actually sat down. People slid in and out as they wanted to, grabbing food./sustanance where they could, but we never really left the parking lot. IHop is more of a sit down deal and circulation halts when the eating commences. That allows for longer conversations -- but if you're stuck near me you'll hear about house reno work.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Doing a drive would add a new feature -- I dunno if we should do it every time, but it would *definitely* be an interesting add on. Oh, to have a running 914..... (brad gave me carbs on the weekend -- the rest is up to me -- doh.....)

kim.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 2 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

My only complaint with the IHOP breakfast format is cost, last time my wife and I went we easily paid $5 per person more than our meal should have cost (meal, drink, tax and tip)

So far I've been happy with my breakfast nieghbors, but it is tougher to mix-it-up like Kim said once sitting down and eating.

A drive would be nice as well.....when B still had the Palo Alto shop, it was fun to leave breakfast and caravan on up to his place.

Oh, to have a running 914.....

That would be great for me as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So far it looks like a running 914 for me before '04 is going to be tough.............
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 2 2003, 01:04 AM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

Hi Jeff

First of all, thanks for organizing these things! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) because of my odd schedule, i've only been twice -- but i enjoyed both a lot.

i like the idea of taking a drive! certainly, there are enough hills and twisties around here for having a good time. so, as long as there is still time and space to simply hang around and shoot the shit, i think a group drive/rally is a great idea.

nathan
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 2 2003, 01:41 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

If/when I end up back down south.. we will do it again.

I dont really care what or where we meet. I have to drive a min. of 75 minutes to arrive down south... attending a driving event after driving.. isnt much fun... then driving home...

I'll help cooridinate North bay drives/events.. but I probably would pass on driving the events down south (I normally plan the day around helping other 914 owners after the breakfast.

B
+Quote Post
PatW
post Dec 2 2003, 08:58 AM
Post #6

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

I like to drive over Hwy 17 and get coffee at my partners shop Capitola. Folks can eat at the greasy spoon about a block away if they like. Then drive back home on Hwy 9. North Bay'rs can take a left on Hwy 35 and get back home from there.

Pat.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Dec 2 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

I like the idea of doing some regular drives. I plan on driving my car a lot more next year than I have been able to this year.

I do like the breakfast as well though, although I do have to say that IHOP SUX. I'm sure there are better diners around the place that we could hook up with.

I'm also up for going to different parts of the bay area for different months breakfasts. We could do one month on the peninsula, one on the east bay then one in the north bay, for instance, and rotate that way.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Carl
post Dec 2 2003, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163

Hi Jeff,
If we're going to have a drive then we need to meet a lot earlier than 9:14 to avoid traffic. In early September Meredith and I had a great day taking Hwy 9 to Boulder Creek, then over the hill to Bonnie Doon, then up the coast past Ano Nuevo, the Pigeon Point lighthouse and back on Hwy 84 through Woodside. From Skyline through Woodside was the only crowded part. I think we left ~7:30.

Carl
+Quote Post
olav
post Dec 2 2003, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34

Hey Carl,

Next time you go for a drive send me an email. Patricia and I would like to join you if that 's ok.

Olav
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Dec 2 2003, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

QUOTE(Carl @ Dec 2 2003, 02:13 PM)
taking Hwy 9 to Boulder Creek, then over the hill to Bonnie Doon, then up the coast past Ano Nuevo, the Pigeon Point lighthouse and back on Hwy 84 through Woodside.

I have no comment. Except to say that IHOP is much safer for my car.

Jen
+Quote Post
Carl
post Dec 2 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #11

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163

Hi Olav,
Sure, you and Patricia are welcome to join any time and that would make the drive fun. We took the tail-dragger that day but it's a good drive in either car. It was a nice day and we walked to the beach at Ano Nuevo and tried to take the tour at the lighthouse but it's closed now due to structural safety problems.

Jenny,
I have no comment. Except to say that IHOP is much safer for my car.

I suppose so but, hey, one little slip-up on the bridge - it could happen to anyone. After all, the IHOP delivery guy could leave a puddle of banana syrup in the parking lot and you'd have the same problem, but without the bridge. That would be different.

The drives are good, you just need to go on another one.

Carl
+Quote Post
anthony
post Dec 3 2003, 12:04 AM
Post #12

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I was thinking the same thing as some of you other guys. I kind of missed the old McDonalds/Starbucks location. There was more shooting the shit and car talk than with the sit down format. On the other hand I've gotten to know some of you guys better with the sit down format so each has it's advantages. Maybe we can mix it up?

I think a drive every few months is just about right. I had a great time on the 9/14/2002 East Bay Drive and on the SF-Petaluma pizza drive.

My final wish would be moving the breakfast a little more north from time to time. It takes me a good hour and a quarter to get down to south San Jose. It would be awesome if that time was cut in half occasionally.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Dec 3 2003, 01:17 AM
Post #13

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

I think we should descend on the Ikea in Emoryville every once in a while. I think it might be more centrally located for people coming from all directions. Maybe show up early and park all our cars right out front of the place with a banner that says "914 :: unboring"
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Dec 3 2003, 01:25 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Yes, EPA is real friendly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) Remember that 914's don't come stock with power windows or door locks.

Jen
+Quote Post
redshift
post Dec 3 2003, 01:51 AM
Post #15

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I think if I eat 914 breakfasts in 2004, my ____ would blow up, like a _____.

M
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Dec 3 2003, 01:55 AM
Post #16

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

QUOTE(Jenny @ Dec 2 2003, 11:25 PM)
Yes, EPA is real friendly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) Remember that 914's don't come stock with power windows or door locks.

Jen

Jenny you ignorant slut (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

Ikea in Emeryville (north of Oakland). Ok so maybe Oakland isn't any better than EPA. I wonder if Ravenna Green is a gang color.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Dec 3 2003, 02:38 AM
Post #17

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Im in for whatever. I want to meet the bay area gang (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
PatW
post Dec 3 2003, 08:24 AM
Post #18

Wassup?

Member No.: 317

QUOTE(Carl @ Dec 2 2003, 01:13 PM)
Hi Jeff,
If we're going to have a drive then we need to meet a lot earlier than 9:14 to avoid traffic. From Skyline through Woodside was the only crowded part. I think we left ~7:30.

Carl

I'm often up there before 9am at the latest. Forget trying to drive it on a Sunday. The sportbike gang and the pedal bike gang likes to mix it up then. Saturday is best.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Dec 3 2003, 10:58 AM
Post #19

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

I could host an East bay trip. Pleasanton has some cool breakfast spots and there are 2 AWESOME drives close (Mines road and Calaveras road). I am interested in meeting more of you folks. Fiid was at my shop last night pressing herr mueller's bushing. Count me in!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 3 2003, 01:26 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Calveras might be a little much for some of them... last time I checked it was still "pea" gravel.

Mines road would be good.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:54 AM