Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> D-jet + fuel pump troubleshooting, worked fine last month, won't start now!
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 9 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #1

B-)

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Well I was feeling GREAT after all the work I put in to my 1972 914 with 1.7 FI last month: first engine drop, swapped flywheels, sideshift conversion, installed new front shocks, shifter, some little bits. Now I've got it almost all back together and it won't start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

What I did that could have changed things:while dropping engine snagged FI plug and had to splice in new spade connector, snagged other FI and had to replace damaged seal, snagged plug cable at top of distributor with CV and replaced plug cables (carefully swapped all wires in same locations), replaced old black coil with Bosch Blue (carefully swapped all 3 wires in same locations), replaced MPS to air intake(plenum?) hose.

First sign of problem was no fuel pump sound when key is on. So, pump tests fine with 12V direct, follow Clay's advice after a search:

"Take out relay #75. Make sure that pins #30 and #85 have 12v.
If both have 12v, jumper pins 30 and 87, and see if the pump runs.
If that works, put the relay back in and ground the front left pin on the 4 pin connector on the relay board (numbered III on the diagram). The pump should run."

All this works!

Pulled my relay board and used McMark's advice and tested Ohms accross all circuits, couldn't find ANY bad spots, and the board is not cracked badly underneath nor does it have tar missing. Tested all relay board relays on headlights = work. Also from McMark, got new 8A and 25A fuses and a spray can of STARTER FLUID. The engine STARTS! Runs for 5 seconds, I can rev it, then dies, cause the starter juice ran out. I think my issue(s) are fuel related, not ignition.

Time for the dreaded D-jet trouble shoot! I am really hoping to avoid this, I mean EVERYTHING worked fine before the side-shift work.

I want to read these sites below, but the links don't exactly work for me (from DD)

If you have D-jet, there are two excellent troubleshooting guides for your fuel pump.
http://www.914fan.net/fuelpump.html -- A text troubleshooting guide
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders -- Look for the "fuel pump troubleshooting" link; these will be graphical flowcharts you can follow.

Found this link and am reading it
http://mail.symuli.com/vw/Djet.html

Tonight I jumpered the fuel pump relay so the pump ran, then starter fluid and engine starts, but THEN DIES, and pump is still running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Tomorrow I think I'll pull the injectors out, place them in 4 small cups, and make sure they all deliver fuel (advice from p banders rennlist).

I REALLY want to get back on the road ASAP, have missed 3 AX races already when my "quick" sideshift conversion turned into an engine bay rustoration, 1 more this weekend and 2 the next. Help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:07 AM