Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 project help needed
type11969
post Dec 2 2003, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

My 69 Beetle is basically done and I am thinking about taking on another project. I've always wanted a 914, but they are pretty tough to come by in the rusty Northeast. I found a 74 1.8 for 1k that needs some work, and I was wondering if all of you in the know could shed some light on whether or not this car is worth it or not.

The owner says the car runs, but the tank is full of crap from sitting for a awhile so the fuel pump is shot, none of this bothers me because I have a rebuilt 1.8L engine along with an aftermarket FI fuel pump and regulator so I can throw that all in there is need be. The car still has the stock fuel injection. I don't know about the condition of the trans, I have a tail shifter sitting around, but the tranny's themselves are different, not just the linkage, right? Or if the side-shifter is shot, can I swap linkages and make the tail shifter a side shifter?

The car has some rust. The pans are solid, both trunks are solid, the firewall is solid, under the pedals is solid. Both jacking points are rusted out along with the rear most part of both of the rockers (left isn't bad, right is). Can part of the rocker be cut out and welded in, or does it all need to be done? There is a hole under the battery tray (tray itself has been replaced), and there is some rust underneath the tray, but the suspension mounting points are fine. It has been hit in the rear, but it has been repaired. There are some rust bubbles up from under the paint (crappy last paint job).

Basically what I want out of the car is a driver that doesn't have to be 100% correct for its age or 100% complete. I have time to work on it also, and I have alternate transportation. So I guess the basic question is, can the rust (as I have described it) be repaired? How skilled does one have to be to do it? And how much is this car worth considering it is in the Northeast?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the length.

Thanks,

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:43 AM