Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Vapor Lock, My car died!
warrenoliver
post Apr 23 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have searched for previous references to "vapor lock" and I found numerous references to the problem, but very few for prevention and fix.
This weekend, we finally had some summer like weather (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) Temp was in the 70's and 80's. I used my 73' 2.0 (stock FI) for running a bunch of errands. The temp guage showed that the oil was warming up, but it never moved very much above the lowest line. I noticed that after my 3rd and 4th stop at stores, I had difficulty starting - it would fire right up, but then it would barely idle regardless of what I did with the accelerator - it would not respond to the accelerator at all. Some of the time it would stall, then I could restart and it would fire right up and run well.
On my way home, when I started up from a stop sign, the engine just died like it was starved for gas. It would not start even though it cranked just fine. It didn't matter what I did with the accelerator. I then did what every good thinking guy would do - I opened the engine lid and stared at it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) The engine was still there.
After getting a ride home, I returned about an hour later with jumper cables in case I ran the battery down. I tried starting it first and of course it fired right up!
I am assuming that it is vapor lock, but I don't know how to confirm that.
The question I have is: How do I prevent this from happening again? I do know that it runs fine when the temps are cooler, but I would like to drive it this summer.
The archives mention relocating to the front, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) but I am very reluctant to do that. What else can I do to prevent this? Once it happens, is the only solution to let it sit for a while, or can I do something to get it going quickly?
Thanks.

Warrenoliver
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:01 PM