Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel tank just dipped in caustic soda, Is a neutralizing agent necessary?
rjames
post Apr 24 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Picked up my gas tank today from a local radiator shop. It was treated with caustic soda only for mild surface rust. The tank looks great, but when I got it home I noticed that the inside of the tank is a bit 'sticky'. I called the shop to see if any neutralizing agents were used after the soda bath and was told no, and that it wasn't necessary. "Just fill the tank up and go". Not sure if I'm buying this. I know nothing about caustic soda baths (I only take showers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) ), but don't want anything I just want to make sure that there's nothing but gas going through the fuel system.

There is some slight surface rust returning on the outside of the tank so I plan to treat the outside with metal ready and then Por15. It will be a few days before I'm able to get the tank in the car and full of gas and there is already some VERY mild surface rust forming in the tank from sitting in the radiator shop overnight. Should I swish some metal ready around in the tank to convert what little rust there is and to protect from more rust forming until I can get it installed?
Do I need to neutralize the caustic soda stuff that it was dipped in? Do I need to stop asking so many questions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:35 PM