Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do I adjust the front hood?, Its FG and sticks up half inch...
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 13 2003, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Dumbo going poop, Daddy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

Its FG and sticks up half inch at the cowl. Already removed the springs. Is there any adjustment in/at the hinge to body point? I sure hope so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 13 2003, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I had the same problem w/ the rear trunk deck where it meets the engine cover. I put some body shims between the deck & the hinge on the bolt closest to the engine. Only took a couple of shims to fix mine. It stuck up a good 3/8".

Mark

73 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
BS Chairman
post Mar 13 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 28

Korijo,
There are two flat bars each side of blower box with 10mm bolts this rise and lower the cowl. Just a thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 13 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Any other ideas? I know I aint the only one w/ a glass hood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 20 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Heres a pic...
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 20 2003, 09:16 PM
Post #6

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I've had a hood and trunk lid in the garage for over a month, I'll test fit them this weekend and take a pic to show how they fit.
+Quote Post
914gem
post Mar 20 2003, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 89

Take a long socket or body hammer and brace under the curve part of your hinge and push down to strighten your hinge a little then readjust the hood gap at the top. I was removing a gas tank with the hood on and pushed the hood up to far and put more curve in my hinges. when I shut the hood the back was up an inch or so. Since you are using fiberglass, apply pressure on top where the hood bolts up to keep from breaking your hood. Removing the springs makes this task a little easer.
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 20 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(914gem @ Mar 20 2003, 07:29 PM)
Take a long socket or body hammer and brace under the curve part of your hinge and push down to strighten your hinge a little then readjust the hood gap at the top. I was removing a gas tank with the hood on and pushed the hood up to far and put more curve in my hinges. when I shut the hood the back was up an inch or so. Since you are using fiberglass, apply pressure on top where the hood bolts up to keep from breaking your hood. Removing the springs makes this task a little easer.

Thanks, I'll try it soon. Springs are already disconnected. I was also considering 4 hood pins and a fuel door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Evill Ed
post Mar 21 2003, 07:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 371

We have installed alot of AIR fiberglass and Carbon Fibre hoods at the shop. Almost all of the hoods would hit the top threads of the strut insert. It hits one of the support ribs. Look for scratches in the glass in this area. If it hits, cut some of the threads off of the top of the strut.

Also try adjusting the 2 cowl supports that were mentioned previously. You can experiment with shims too, usually a shim under the front bolt on the hinge will bring the rear edge down a bit.

The glass hoods only fit so well, you need to try all the adjustments you can to get the best fit. It will never be as good as a factory hood.

Ed
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 21 2003, 10:34 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Have you recently removed or farted around with your gas tank? If so, probably your tank and accessories are jacked up and preventing the hood from closing all the way
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 21 2003, 01:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Mar 21 2003, 05:03 AM)
We have installed alot of AIR fiberglass and Carbon Fibre hoods at the shop. Almost all of the hoods would hit the top threads of the strut insert. It hits one of the support ribs. Look for scratches in the glass in this area. If it hits, cut some of the threads off of the top of the strut.

Also try adjusting the 2 cowl supports that were mentioned previously. You can experiment with shims too, usually a shim under the front bolt on the hinge will bring the rear edge down a bit.

The glass hoods only fit so well, you need to try all the adjustments you can to get the best fit. It will never be as good as a factory hood.

Ed

Struts are out, so not it. I think its cuz the hood has been sitting so long. Think Im going w/ 4 hood pins. Still undecided tho...
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 21 2003, 07:36 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I see from your previous posts you did have your tank out for a swaybar install. I would still guess that your hood is getting hung up on the gas tank. with those moveable rubber pads you can get your tank sitting too high, even though it looks level. Open your hood and get low in front of the car, look at your bulkhead plane vs. your gastank plane. This is whre you can easily see if your gastank is riding too high
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 21 2003, 09:09 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 21 2003, 05:36 PM)
I see from your previous posts you did have your tank out for a swaybar install. I would still guess that your hood is getting hung up on the gas tank. with those moveable rubber pads you can get your tank sitting too high, even though it looks level. Open your hood and get low in front of the car, look at your bulkhead plane vs. your gastank plane. This is whre you can easily see if your gastank is riding too high

Forgot to mention, no tank in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Havent done the bar yet. Just put it all together... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 21 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

There are 2 bolts per side on the hindges. You can loosen them up and move the entire hidge assembly up or down. You have to really stick your head used there to see them. I have had to elongate the holes to get the hidges down far enough.

B
+Quote Post
Dave Cawdrey
post Mar 22 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 21 2003, 07:53 PM)
There are 2 bolts per side on the hindges. You can loosen them up and move the entire hidge assembly up or down. You have to really stick your head used there to see them. I have had to elongate the holes to get the hidges down far enough.

B

Thank the Lord (Brad). Thats what I hoped (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:40 PM