Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First track event / drivers ed, Spent Monday at Thunderhill
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Spent the past few months building a fresh 2056, got it running early last week, got it running correctly on Saturday and then took it up to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows CA (about a 2.5 hour drive from Santa Rosa) on Sunday for a drivers ed with the Volvo Club of America on Monday.

The VCOA put on a 1st rate event. I learned quickly on to get out to the grid first so I could be in the front of the pack, vs. getting stuck in the traffic jams of slower cars that were in the novice class. My instructors were great and really helped me to nail down the line. I felt VERY comfortable out there and have always felt at home pushing the 914 to and past its limits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For the first half of the day we ran the front half of the course and then the full course after lunch. I'm running Azenis rt-615 tires and I have to give them a big thumbs up for mixed street/track use. They held up really well and gave great feedback. It's true that they do tend to get a little slippery when hot, but the feedback was still there. I did spin out once on turn 11 (oops!) do to braking late and coming in way too hot. I kept it on the course, but it got me black flagged. That didn't really matter though, as it was on the last lap of the session.

My brakes faded on that same lap. I'm a bit surprised, as I'm running Porterfield R-4 pads in the front (only) and DOT 5 fluid. I'm only running DOT 5 because that's what the car had in it when I bought it and haven't had the inclination to rebuilt the calipers and replace the master cylinder. Soon though, as I'm upgrading to the 5-lug setup I have on the shelf. That includes S-calipers as well. Thinking back I really don't think I was over-braking. I was flying around the course and had to brake hard to make some of the tighter turns. I think I have a sticky piston up front as well, so that could have been part of the problem. The rears weren't hot, so they weren't the problem. We had a pyrometer with us which proved to be VERY useful.

I'd do this again in a heart beat and would love to run Infineon and Laguna Seca as well. This event cost $195 for the day, which seemed like a total bargain. What's the best way to keep track of who's running where and how a bloke like me can get in on similarly priced events?

Coming down the main straight:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/479368494_8a976c102a_b.jpg)

One of my instructors and I:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/479369758_486f78b603_b.jpg)

Coming down the back side of the Eagles Nest:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/479387511_8f405634ce_b.jpg)

Also coming down of the Eagles Nest:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/479371660_76de228d8a_b.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Sonoma County Gear Head

Here are some more photos:

Turn 1:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/479386347_4660fcf107_b.jpg)

Coming into Turn 3:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/479386981_c407e53e12_b.jpg)

Coming down the straight... I'm going over 80 mph here, but at a 1/4000 shutter speed it looks like I'm parked!:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/479389271_cb8b1f9f55_b.jpg)

Amongst the Volvos:
(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/479385235_87e6c73bff_b.jpg)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 2 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

Great job! Looks like you had fun and I really enjoyed those pictures. Come out to a Track Masters event. There are a group of us 914 guys running Reno Fernley at end of May and Infineon in July.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 2 2007, 12:52 PM) *

Great job! Looks like you had fun and I really enjoyed those pictures. Come out to a Track Masters event. There are a group of us 914 guys running Reno Fernley at end of May and Infineon in July.

Wow, that sounds great! I won't be able to make Reno, but I'm now looking into the July event at Infineon. The price is high, but it will actually be cheaper than going to Thunderhill, as I won't need to get a hotel being that it's just a 40 minute drive from my home.

I went ahead and registered with Track Masters just now. I haven't registered for the July event yet though. Do you know how fast the events fill up and approx how long I have until I won't be able to register? Also, what sort of safety devices do they require the car to have?

Thanks for the info!
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 2 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #5

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

how old is the DOT 5. if it is older it will have attracted some moisture causing the fade(boiling fluid)...also my 17 years of instructing tells me that you were probably overbraking. Most rookies do it, even though they don't think they are.
A 914 is a momentum car, and you use much less brake than Volvos or other Porsches.
I would expect you to be reaching more than 90-95mph at the end of the main straight with the new motor.
Don't feel bad about your spin....it happens.. and that area of the track at 11 has lots of room to make a booboo.
Sounds like you had a good first outing...interesting comments about your Falkens.

+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 09:18 PM) *

how old is the DOT 5. if it is older it will have attracted some moisture causing the fade(boiling fluid)...also my 17 years of instructing tells me that you were probably overbraking. Most rookies do it, even though they don't think they are.
A 914 is a momentum car, and you use much less brake than Volvos or other Porsches.
I would expect you to be reaching more than 90-95mph at the end of the main straight with the new motor.
Don't feel bad about your spin....it happens.. and that area of the track at 11 has lots of room to make a booboo.
Sounds like you had a good first outing...interesting comments about your Falkens.

Hi Dan,

I replaced all the soft brake lines on Saturday, so the DOT 5 fluid is new. You're probably correct about the over-braking. I'd say that correct braking and knowing which gear to be are my two biggest weaknesses at the moment. There are parts of the track where I would hold it in a gear near/at redline for 3 - 7 seconds so I didn't have to shift up and then down again for an upcoming turn. Otherwise it would be a shift up and then down again in just a matter of seconds. I want the power to pull out of the turn, so I'd rather not leave it in the higher gear. Make sense?

I don't feel bad about the spin. It wasn't a problem after that, and in fact, the whole thing put a big grin on my face!

Back to the brakes - I think I have a sticky front piston (it was a bitch to squeeze back in when I installed the Porterfield pads), and the rears are horribly out of adjustment. I just didn't have the time to get that sorted out before the event. I was sorta busy building the motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The speedo was indicating over 115 at the end of the main straight, so I was probably going around 95/100 mph corrected for my 205/50/15 tires.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 2 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Randy,

sounds like you had a bunch of fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
holding the car near redline will take away momentum since you are actually holding the car back, and not reaching your peak speed.
You need to try to get out with a club with some actual Porsche instructors.
your car is capable of a lot.

I am finishing my 2056 motor build and am interested in knowing what gears you were in entering and exiting the various corners.

I can tell you what gears you should be in for each corner.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 09:45 PM) *

Randy,

sounds like you had a bunch of fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
holding the car near redline will take away momentum since you are actually holding the car back, and not reaching your peak speed.
You need to try to get out with a club with some actual Porsche instructors.
your car is capable of a lot.

I am finishing my 2056 motor build and am interested in knowing what gears you were in entering and exiting the various corners.

I can tell you what gears you should be in for each corner.

Here's what I can remember (though I might be wrong)-

Turn 1 and 2 - 4th
Turn 3 - 3rd
Turn 4 - Back up to 4th
Turn 5 (Eagles Nest) - Back down to 3rd (though I tried it in 2nd as well and then quickly shifted into 3rd heading down the hill)
Turn 6 - I might have gone up to 4th or kept it in third
Turn 7 - Shift into 4th after apex
Turn 8 - I think I'm in 5th at this point
Turn 9 - Back down to 3rd
Turn 10 - 3rd for the turn then up to 4th
Turn 11 - 3rd
Turn 12 - 3rd
Turn 13 - 3rd or 4th (Can't remember)
Turn 14 - down to 3rd from being in 4th on the back straight
Turn 15 - usually back into 4th right after the apex
Front straight - 4th into 5th

That's what I remember. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 2 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #9

Turn 1 and 2 - 4th try turn 2 in 3rd, more RPMs gives you a little throttle steer.
Turn 3 - 3rd
Turn 4 - Back up to 4th
Turn 5 (Eagles Nest) - Back down to 3rd (though I tried it in 2nd as well and then quickly shifted into 3rd heading down the hill) I would use 2nd and short shift down the hill
Turn 6 - I might have gone up to 4th or kept it in third
Turn 7 - Shift into 4th after apex
Turn 8 - I think I'm in 5th at this point
Turn 9 - Back down to 3rd
Turn 10 - 3rd for the turn then up to 4th
Turn 11 - 3rd try 2nd and short shift to 3rd
Turn 12 - 3rd
Turn 13 - 3rd or 4th (Can't remember)
Turn 14 - down to 3rd from being in 4th on the back straight try 2nd and shift to 3rd before 15 and accelerate shifting to 4th just after 15
Turn 15 - usually back into 4th right after the apex
Front straight - 4th into 5th

I will report back once I get to TH in a couple of months.. my 2056 should be broken in by then and ready to rip...
I may change my shifting depending on the power band compared to the old tired 2.0L.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #10

Sonoma County Gear Head

Great info!

BTW, I broke my motor in at Thunderhill! I only had 300 or so miles on the motor when I arrived at the track.

What driving event are you going to at Thunderhill in a few months?
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 2 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 2 2007, 10:43 PM) *

Great info!

BTW, I broke my motor in at Thunderhill! I only had 300 or so miles on the motor when I arrived at the track.

GGR DE/TT #4 at TH. Aug. 4-5
You could attend the DE portion without making any mods to your car.
You would just need to attend the GGR ground school...and then get excellent Porsche centric instruction for all Saturday....Sunday instruction is dependent on your progress on Saturday....If you are deemed safe to solo on Saturday then you run without instruction on Sunday.

your car would only require either stock 3 points belts or properly installed 5-6 point harness.
Snell 2000 or newer helmet

you would be good to go.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 2 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #12

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 10:50 PM) *

Great info!

You would just need to attend the GGR ground school...and then get excellent Porsche centric instruction for all Saturday....Sunday instruction is dependent on your progress on Saturday....If you are deemed safe to solo on Saturday then you run without instruction on Sunday.

your car would only require either stock 3 points belts or properly installed 5-6 point harness.

you would be good to go.

Oooh, that sounds like a blast! I need a newer helmet, but I've needed something newer for a while anyways. Got a link for more info?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 3 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 2 2007, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 10:50 PM) *

Great info!

you would be good to go.

Oooh, that sounds like a blast! I need a newer helmet, but I've needed something newer for a while anyways. Got a link for more info?

Thanks!

www.pca-ggr.org follow links for TT and it will direct you to the registration site that also has more information.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 3 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #14

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 11:01 PM) *

www.pca-ggr.org follow links for TT and it will direct you to the registration site that also has more information.

I'd better join the PCA again, huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) It's been a few years.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 3 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 2 2007, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 11:01 PM) *

I'd better join the PCA again, huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) It's been a few years.

Thanks!

you can join online at www.pca.org
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 3 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #16

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 2 2007, 11:16 PM) *

you can join online at www.pca.org

On the Internets? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 3 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Sounds like a blast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

How was the motor? Oil temps? CHT?

Where's the video? I'll put it up on the site here.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 3 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #18

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2007, 01:18 AM) *

Sounds like a blast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

How was the motor? Oil temps? CHT?

Where's the video? I'll put it up on the site here.

The motor ran great! I take back what I said about poly motor and transaxle mounts as well. They're fine if you don't mind feeling everything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oil temps don't get above 140 on the street, and only once did they get up to 205 on the track. I was really pushing it at that point and it was nearly 90* outside. CHT was great, and stayed between 350 - 360 while on the track.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 3 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Very cool. Nice to have that info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Now, about that video.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 3 2007, 02:32 AM
Post #20

Sonoma County Gear Head

The video is a sore subject. I had Eli's cone cam setup and ready to go (he had been using it in the Fiat the first half of the day), and I got exactly 10 seconds of nothing before the tape ended. Didn't realize it until we got back to the hotel that night to review the tape. It was the best/most interesting session of the day too, and included the spin out. I'm still bummed that it didn't work out. blah.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:23 AM