Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First track event / drivers ed, Spent Monday at Thunderhill
McMark
post May 3 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Bummer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 3 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 2 2007, 07:08 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 2 2007, 12:52 PM) *

Great job! Looks like you had fun and I really enjoyed those pictures. Come out to a Track Masters event. There are a group of us 914 guys running Reno Fernley at end of May and Infineon in July.

Wow, that sounds great! I won't be able to make Reno, but I'm now looking into the July event at Infineon. The price is high, but it will actually be cheaper than going to Thunderhill, as I won't need to get a hotel being that it's just a 40 minute drive from my home.

I went ahead and registered with Track Masters just now. I haven't registered for the July event yet though. Do you know how fast the events fill up and approx how long I have until I won't be able to register? Also, what sort of safety devices do they require the car to have?

Thanks for the info!

Track Masters is fairly lax on safety devices for street cars. Your car is fine. But for your own safety you want good 5 point harness and a fire extiguisher if your going to be doing this often. I wouldnt drive the track without a cage in a 914, but thats just me.

Infineon will fill up even at the high price. Both Infineon and laguna Seca are getting harder and harder to find open track days. Watch Unlimitedlaps.com too they offer good open track day expereince and sometimes get Laguna Seca days.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post May 3 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

the pics are sweet...looks like a great time...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post May 4 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #24

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 3 2007, 02:34 PM) *

Track Masters is fairly lax on safety devices for street cars. Your car is fine. But for your own safety you want good 5 point harness and a fire extiguisher if your going to be doing this often. I wouldnt drive the track without a cage in a 914, but thats just me.

I thought you had to have a real rollbar/cage to participate in DE events?
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post May 4 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #25

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(blitZ @ May 4 2007, 08:53 AM) *

I thought you had to have a real rollbar/cage to participate in DE events?

Not yet. Some clubs might say you do though. In my area, cages aren't a requirement yet, but everyone is gearing up for the PCA rule change regarding 5pt harnesses.

The only rule I know right now that would keep a teener off the track is that the regional BMW groups will not allow any non-coupe car to participate in their DE. Even T-top cars are excluded (but a sunroof is OK).
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 4 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #26

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Speaking of rollbars/cages/harnesses... I've reached a crossroads of sorts with my car. It's suspension is stiff, it handles better than any 914 I've had before, it has stock seats, interior, belts, etc. It's also my daily driver, though I have an '04 Triumph 955i Sportsbike and Sylvie and I spend a lot of time in her Camry. The bike makes an OK backup vehicle, but I'm considering selling it and it really doesn't replace the car if the car is broken or down for upgrades/repairs.

I'd like to keep this 914 pretty much as-is. I'd be fine with the installation of a rollbar, but a cage and harnesses are out of the question in my current 914. If it means I can't run in certain events, then so be it.

However I'm seriously considering building a dedicated F Production car. If I understand correctly, this means the car would have a stock 2.0, headers, five-lug, m-calipers, cage, harnesses, d-jet. Right? What do you think? I'm already looking for a Toyota 4 Runner to use as a cheap tow vehicle, which I'd even use for my current 914 if I decide to keep running up at Thunderhill, etc, with my current car.

Anywho, do you think F Production would be a good entry point if I were to go about and start getting licensed to race? Good class for 914s?

I've got the bug...

+Quote Post
DanT
post May 4 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #27

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

You can install a roll bar and 5 or 6 point harnesses in your current car and not really effect the daily driver aspect. I had a 914-6 2.7RS and it was my driver, with a roll bar with Petty bar and 5 point harnesses.
My suggestion to you as with all rookies, is to go to as many AXs and DEs/TTs you can with the car basically as it currently sits...learn the car very well and then make small incremental changes to the car as your skill level increases. If you make wholesale changes to the car after every event...you never know if it is you or the car getting better.
Right now the car is better than you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

the roll bar and the harnesses are for nothing but safety since our 35 year old cars don't have air bags etc, adding those two items is a good idea if you want to continue using the car on the track.

my 2 cents
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post May 4 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #28

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 4 2007, 12:18 PM) *

You can install a roll bar and 5 or 6 point harnesses in your current car and not really effect the daily driver aspect. I had a 914-6 2.7RS and it was my driver, with a roll bar with Petty bar and 5 point harnesses.
My suggestion to you as with all rookies, is to go to as many AXs and DEs/TTs you can with the car basically as it currently sits...learn the car very well and then make small incremental changes to the car as your skill level increases. If you make wholesale changes to the car after every event...you never know if it is you or the car getting better.
Right now the car is better than you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

the roll bar and the harnesses are for nothing but safety since our 35 year old cars don't have air bags etc, adding those two items is a good idea if you want to continue using the car on the track.

my 2 cents

How about the Petty Roll Bar with 5 point harness and stock seats? Possible?

I think you're right. Just keep going to DE/AX events with my current car. I do need to get a tow vehicle and trailer soonish though.

Thanks Dan. You're feedback has been really helpful!
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 4 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #29

my car currently has roll bar, petty bar and 5 point harnesses with stock seats.
with the new PCA rule about race seats being used with 5-6 points, I will be switching to Corbeau or similar seat this next off season.

You can always flat tow your 914 and in that way you don't have to get near as heavy duty of a tow vehicle
I use my suburban but I also tow an 8000# RV with it, so it is a lot of overkill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 4 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #30

here is the bracket

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 4 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #31

here is a shot of my car at the San Jose international auto show.

you can see the petty bar, harnesses and stock seats.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:36 PM