Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Transmission questions, Shifter fork tolerance
Bartlett 914
post May 5 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am rebuilding my transmission. The only real problem is the first / reverse operating sleeve. I had one on the shelf and a new syncro ring. The transmission had a problem jumping out of first. While I was there, I made some measurements. The shifter forks fit in the operating sleeves in a groove. There are 2 measurements I made. One is the wear on the thickness of the fork and how much slop there is in the groove. I used feeler gages to measure this. The other wear in more of a diameter of the shifter fork. As it wears the diameteter gets larger and the fork can rock in the sleeve. Here is a picture how I measured this.

Attached Image

The side clearence: Would rock (diameter wear)
first / reverse .010" .028"

Second / Third .003" .060"

Fourth / Fifth .003" .060"

It appears to me that the First / Reverse is worn thin. I think it is in specs.

The other 2 seem to be worn in a diameter (fork would rock back and forth) maybe a bit too much. Can anyone tell me if these forks are O.K.?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:31 AM