Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thermo Time Switch, Purpose
2-OH!
post May 7 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,253

I have already sent this to Brad Anders, but I decided I would like your opinion as well...

Going thru hell with 1973 - 1.7 D-Jet running awful from 0 to 180 degrees (oil temp)...Bucks, snorts, spits, unstable RPM, all before 180...Runs OK (not great but OK), after 180...

Newly rebuilt MPS (Bleyseng), switched ECU's with known good unit, no help...

Newly purchased from Pelican, Head Temp Sensor shows 3.16 OHMS...Old HTS shows 3.65 OHMS...

Currently re-sealing all intake runners, plenum, TB, etc. looking for vacuum leaks...While I had the Thermo-Time sensor off the block, I checked it with an OHM meter both hot and garage temp (approx. 75 degrees) and got no reading at all...Indicating to me that the unit is open...

As I read the wirnig diagram, all the Thermo-Time switch does is complete the ground for the Cold Start valve and therefore would not effect starts in 70 degree weather...

Is that your intrepretation of the Thermo Switch...If so, I can eliminate that as a possible source of my trouble...

Thanks,

2-OH!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swl
post May 7 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(2-OH! @ May 7 2007, 02:39 PM) *

As I read the wirnig diagram, all the Thermo-Time switch does is complete the ground for the Cold Start valve and therefore would not effect starts in 70 degree weather...

Is that your intrepretation of the Thermo Switch...If so, I can eliminate that as a possible source of my trouble...

That's the way I read the wiring diagram too. Fits with other descriptions as well.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 7 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
MrKona
post May 7 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

Here's the description for the L-jet system, page 13. (Would assume it applies for all systems).

L-Jet description

Controls the cold start valve.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 8 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

"all the Thermo-Time switch does is complete the ground for the Cold Start valve and therefore would not effect starts in 70 degree weather..."

Yep, Uh-huh, javol... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Rich or lean when cold? Have you verified the AFR with a reliable exhaust gas analyzer? Geoff does excellent MPS work, but even a subtle adjustment to the MPS can make a big difference.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 8 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Make sure you have the correct ECU and CHT. Ones from a 74 will not work correctly. You also need a ballast resistor in series with the CHT. I am not sure of the correct resistance for the CHT for a 73 when cold. I know the resistance in in K ohms (3K, 2.5K something like that). You can always place a pot in place of the CHT. I would use a 5K pot with a 270 ohm resistors in series. Use this to find out if the problem is with the CHT or if it is some other problem like the MPS.
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post May 8 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Don't know about the Rich/Lean situation because I have not checked it with an analyser...Don't know anyone who has one...But I think that is the problem, Rich/Lean...

I must disconnect the inlet temp sensor to get it to run at all...

I agree with the resistor in line with the CHT...But I was under the impression that the Resistor situation was only applicable to the 2.0 motor...I think I have a line on a pot setup and I would like to slave it in to gauge the change in performance...

Finished the re-sealing of all vacuum areas last nite and it drives pretty good after 180 degrees...This morning it was better, but still spittin' and sputterin' until I got to work because the 20 minute drive warmed it up...

2-OH!
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 8 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #8

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Unplugging TS1 richens the mixture, so if it runs better that way, sounds like you may be running lean. Could be berry-berry-bad...check your plugs for a lean condition.
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post May 8 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Thanks Jeff,

Currently, the ECU is set at one click past the midpoint...I may try to turn it up for the morning start tomorrow and see what happens...

New rings are still not broken in yet so we have sooty plug at this point...Hard to read Lean or Rich...

2-OH!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:42 PM