Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nickies Group Buy,, 103mm Type 4 NiCaSil cylinders
Mark Henry
post Dec 6 2003, 10:16 AM
Post #1

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Mark of Mark’s Aircooled, has come to an agreement with Charles at LN Engineering on group buy pricing for 103mm (only) Type 4 Nickies.

If we can get 5+ sets LN has agreed to give us a 24% discount on the Nickies, head studs at $259 and SRP 103mm forged pistons at $429. If we have enough (complete) sets Charles has even stated that he will throw in the case through bolts to sweeten the deal.

Please do not bother Charles with any questions about this group buy, the whole point is to make him as little sales work as possible on this deal. I will answer any question as to the details of how this group buy works. You must go through me to get the group buy pricing. Once you have committed your funds Charles will be happy to answer your technical questions. I organized the successful SDS fuel injection group buy last spring, you may ask and do a search over on the STF fuel injection forum as too my creditability on group buys.

I’m sure that Charles will chime in and give his seal of approval on this offer soon.

Please note this is for the 103mm size only, don’t ask for other sizes. You can buy just the cylinders, but only people who buy complete sets will get the case through bolts, again only if we have enough complete sets sold in the buy.

We are considering a mid-March cut off date (TBA), and then once all funds are collected it would be a minimum 6 to 8 week production time before shipping.

This offer is good for the USA and Canada, but we may consider overseas as well. All prices are in US dollars, shipping and any applicable taxes etc. are not included.
Yes I’m Canadian, but LN Engineering will ship all USA orders.

You can contact me at: mhenry69@sympatico.ca or 905-797-2677 daytime EST.

For details on LN Engineering’s Nickies check out: http://www.lnengineering.com/index.html
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KJJ-74-914
post Dec 6 2003, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,401

I am just starting to tear down an extra 1.8L ii recently bought. I am interested in these cylinders. Would I be able to use the fuel injection, heads and all other parts with these cylinders? What modifications to the fuel system would be required? What other mod would be required?

Thank you for your reply.

Kirk
+Quote Post
seanery
post Dec 6 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

what size does 103's with a 2.0 crank make?
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Dec 6 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

These are priced on the website at $2100 and the price will be ~$700?
Thats quite a bit more than a 24% discount, am I missing something?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 6 2003, 01:00 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 6 2003, 10:38 AM)
what size does 103's with a 2.0 crank make?

103 X 71mm = 2.366L
103 X 78mm = 2.599L

Kirk, you do have to machine them in, stock FI will not work.

24% off the cylinder price, I don't have time to do the math as I have to get to a family do, but 25 off of 2000 would be 1500.

Someone do the math, please...I must dash.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Dec 6 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Did you mean the dicount was 259 and 429 respectively on the studs and P/C's

This would make the price $1511.00 total for the studds and P/C's this is equal to ~24% percent off.

I understand now, I guess I just misunderstood your first post.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Dec 6 2003, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Cylinder Guru

Member No.: 49

Here guys, i'll clarify the pricing. Retail on 103mm Nickies is $1899. 24% discount brings them to ~$1440. Head studs will be sold at $259 (retail $300 less $41) and Pistons/rings/wrist pins $429 (retail $700 less $271). In all, that's a $750+ discount over retail. I'd be more than happy to field any questions.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 6 2003, 07:03 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Thanks Charles,

Now everthing should be clear on the pricing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
RD Evans
post Dec 6 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 923

Sounds exciting! For us less experienced wrenches...could you give us an idea of the other parts that will be needed to complete an engine. Like a previous poster, I have a 1.8 in my car now that I could use as the core. I realize that the engine will require dual carbs or some other after market fuel system. We here Jake Raby talk all the time about the "combo" so do you have an opinion on what would make a reliable daily driver?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 6 2003, 08:38 PM
Post #10

that's what I do!

Depends on what you want to do and how much coin your willing to spend.

Combo just means quality parts that are meant to work well together. Mismatched parts will kill power if not the engine. If you’re the DIY type, just post your planned combo here and we’ll tell you if you’re on the right track.

Minimum... 2.0 crank and rods, balanced, web cam and lifters, head work, T1 oil pump, webers and a header

Maximum... above plus, 78mm (or bigger crank, forged even), Ratt cam, ceramic lifters, major head work, aftermarket FI, tangerine header etc. etc.

Hey with Nickies maybe you can turbo a teen! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

All can be built to be reliable. We can help.
+Quote Post
Rgreen914
post Dec 6 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,266

This sounds like a great way to build a "big block" with premo parts; gets the mind working overtime! With that extended cut-off it gives plenty of time to decide on a combination (and save up money). Does the price of the pistons go for any stroke/compression height or is it just for standard combos? My first inclination would be for stroker but maybe not 78 mm.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 7 2003, 07:05 AM
Post #12

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Dec 6 2003, 09:47 PM)
This sounds like a great way to build a "big block" with premo parts; gets the mind working overtime! With that extended cut-off it gives plenty of time to decide on a combination (and save up money).

Your mind is working overtime!!!! Mine is going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

Nickies were out of my league till this deal came along, but I still need time to save up my pennies. I just figured how long it would take me to get the coin, asked Charles if this sounded like a good cut off date and he said sounds good.

(Honey.... I know what I want for Christmas...)

Does the price of the pistons go for any stroke/compression height or is it just for standard combos? My first inclination would be for stroker but maybe not 78 mm.

I know Charles will want to know the specs on your engine, Charles will have to answer this one but I can't see it being a problem.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Dec 7 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #13

Cylinder Guru

Mind working overtime is a good thing :-)

Just let me know whether or not you'll be running a 71 stroke or a 78 stroke, as I'll provide different pistons for the most common combinations.

I personally have a 102 x 71 with 2L 914 heads in stock configuration and I love it. I'd have to say, hands down, that my 2320cc powered automatic VW squareback is significantly faster than my hotter cam'ed 2L in my 914, even with 1000+ lbs more weight and sucky gearing! A 2320 (or 2366 with 103s) is an awesome engine with gobs of torque across the entire powerband. Fairly inexpensive too, since you can re-use 2L components (if starting from a 2L) and don't need to splurge on headwork, a new crank, or rods. Simple to assemble too since you don't need to worry about clearancing, reduced base circle cams, etc. I'm running a webcam 91 grind w/ 1.51 ratio rockers, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have used ceramics and a hotter cam.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2003, 08:35 AM
Post #14

that's what I do!

bump
+Quote Post
BravoHotel
post Dec 14 2003, 01:33 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 399

QUOTE(cnavarro @ Dec 7 2003, 07:33 AM)
Fairly inexpensive too, since you can re-use 2L components (if starting from a 2L) and don't need to splurge on headwork, a new crank, or rods. Simple to assemble too since you don't need to worry about clearancing, reduced base circle cams, etc.

Charles,

I am intrigued by the group buy, and curious about what kind of performance I could attain in the "Fairly inexpensive" & "Simple to assemble" category. Here are the big picture specs on my engine. The PO did the build-up so I have no first-hand knowledge beyond what I am about to type. I do have all of the receipts, though, if you need more info than this:

- Original 2.0L from a 1975 model...complete rebuild in 1994...no has appx 18-20K miles
- HD oil pump
- new cam and lifters (duration = 280 deg / lift = .435 in)
- new US spec pistons and cylinders
- new sodium filled valves, springs, guides, standard bearings
- new dual 40mm Webers w/ K&N filters (new, not rebuilt)
- Bosch 050 dist w/ Pertronix pointless ign, MSD 6AL, Bosch blue coil, Magnecore Ign Wires
- Lightened flywheel w/ six spring clutch

It runs great and pulls very strong right now, but I am interested in more power. What would the group buy combo do for me and what kind of extra things would I have to do to assemble the engine? Is is a bolt-together proposition?

Thanks for the help
Brian
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 14 2003, 05:08 PM
Post #16

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GENERIC COMBO!!!!!!! The COMBO MUST BE MADE FOR THE VEHICLE. DRIVING STYLE AND TEMPERATURES/ALTITUDES HAVE A GREAT EFFECT ON PERFORMANCE COMBOS!!

I hate to yell, but this severely causes issues with folks that I deal with all the time!!

When you go with Nickies, the combo will change, or should change due to the fact that the engine is much more efficient and will run cooler.

Charles and I will be working out a deal for customers who buy Nickies and buy the rest of their parts from me. I have used more Nickies than anyone in the world, and have developed combos just for them........ All it takes is the customer buying the rest of their internals (atleast 1K bucks worth)from me to get those combos and my configuration service for free...Thats configuration right down to dyno proven jetting settings and timing settings........ that don't exist anywhere else, and if it does no one will share it with ya!!!!!!

So even if guys do the group buy with the Nickies, they still have to have the other compatible parts... I can fill those needs without guesswork- Just bolt it together.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Dec 14 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #17

Cylinder Guru

Here are some estimates with Brian's existing cam, stock 2L heads, etc. Remember, these are estimates, but will give a ball park figure. There is no substitute for a dyno cell and a proven combo, like Jake has said. These numbers are also reflecting a damn good exhaust, like a triad at the least, but figures are shown with a tangerine system.

2366, 10:1, 40 IDF
(IMG:http://www.lnengineering.com/2366_10to1_40idf.jpg)

2366, 10.5:1, 44 IDF
(IMG:http://www.lnengineering.com/2366_10.5to1_44idf.jpg)

2366, 11:1, 48 IDF
(IMG:http://www.lnengineering.com/2366_11to1_48idf.jpg)

Like Jake has said, it's all in the combo. I'd say that the 2L bottom end would most definately need to be counterweighted (and whole rotating assembly race balanced) and if you did use 2L rods, ARP bolts and cryo'ing at the least. Dual HD springs as well as ceramic lifters would be essential to keeping the valvetrain happy at >7k rpms. If you're looking to save by re-using the 2L components, a 2366 is a nice way to go, but most definately Jake's services from parts to balancing to cam selection would be absolutely necessary to guarantee any combo!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
Aircooled Precision performance
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 14 2003, 06:11 PM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

With 40s its never making that kind of power....

Engine Analyzer is a great tool but it also has many, many variables that can "Make it or break it"

The stock 2.0 bottom end is strong, BUT to make big HP for that kind of revver the stock rods are way too short, way too heavy and the bolts are way too weak for any type of high revving performance.... The 24mm wrist pins are also heavier and require a heavier foging of piston to keep the pin area strong.....

At the least run a crank with a TI journal, (The journal is twice as strong as stock TIV from near .170" more diameter)a strong H beam rod and then a nice lightweight 22mm pinned piston.....

The stock parts will work, but you ain't making 175 ponies, especially not with those short assed rods.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Dec 14 2003, 06:24 PM
Post #19

Cylinder Guru

I agree, the 170 horses it's estimating with 40s have to be bogus and asking the 2L bottom end to happily turn >7k rpm on a daily basis is questionable if 100,000 mi or more is required of the motor. With the mods that Jake is suggesting, we're getting closer to a better 2366 combo, but it will still require matching of headwork and cam to make it a perfect match- something that Jake already has under his belt. I would recommend to anyone going in on the group buy to work with Jake and I on the rest of your combination to ensure the best possible combo for your application!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 14 2003, 07:33 PM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

There is no substitute for a good combo!!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:02 PM