Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inner cv came completely off of the trans output flange, a mile or so from home.
Gint
post May 10 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Just when you get the thing running great... bam! CV joint comes off! Completely seperated from the trans output flange. I rolled it all the way home to just around the corner from my house. Shar helped me push it from there to the street in front of the driveway. Danny's due over in a few and together with help from my youngest son and Shar, we can get it up the driveway and onto the side of the house.

I got lucky in that the shaft just fell down on top of the HE and didn't do any damage. Pics later...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 10 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

Got yer back...
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post May 10 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

I 've got a spare set of axles with CV's on 'em if you need 'em
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 10 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Gint @ May 10 2007, 07:47 PM) *

Just when you get the thing running great... bam! CV joint comes off! Completely seperated from the trans output flange. I rolled it all the way home to just around the corner from my house. Shar helped me push it to the street in front of the driveway. Danny's due over in a few and together with help from my youngest son and Shar, we can get it up the driveway and onto the side of the house.

I got lucky in that the shaft just fell down on top of the HE and didn't do any damage. Pics later...

Did the joint actually fall off, or did the axle fall off? How? Did someone not torque the bolts?
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 10 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Repeat after me: "New bolts, new washers, proper torque." As the crush on the gaskets has been questioned as a potential problem, you have my permission to clean the jount and flange up and use a bead of RTV instead. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 10 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 10 2007, 06:11 PM) *

you have my permission to clean the jount and flange up and use a bead of RTV instead.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) who are you and what did you do with the Cap'n ???
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 10 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #7

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

At least you weren't under it.Attached Image
+Quote Post
type47fan
post May 10 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #8

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

. . . somebody needs Dr. Evil's magic CV joint elixir and safety wire remedy. . . !
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 10 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Back in 1971 I did a clutch job on my 67 911S. I forgot to torque the cv joint bolts properly. It was a long time until someone came along out in the open country of West Texas. The old cowboy reminded me I was driving on of those "furen" cars.
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 10 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 10 2007, 07:32 PM) *

But I will be tomorrow...

I've got parts, thanks for the offers. I have a set of Dr. Evil's drilled CV bolts around here somewhere too. I wsa planning to save those for the /6 though.

Like I said, the joint separated form the trans output flange. It would appear that all of the bolts came loose. And I've never taken them off since I've owned the car. The holes don't appear to be stripped, but I haven't gotten a good look yet. I'll do that tomorrow. When I get under it...
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 10 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Was there swearing involved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

Seriously when is your luck gonna change? Let me know if you need anything. If they output flange is hosed, let me know, I'll go you know where and see if I can work my magic to get one cheap.

Ferg
+Quote Post
majkos
post May 10 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,729

QUOTE(Gint @ May 10 2007, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 10 2007, 07:32 PM) *

But I will be tomorrow...

I've got parts, thanks for the offers. I have a set of Dr. Evil's drilled CV bolts around here somewhere too. I wsa planning to save those for the /6 though.

Like I said, the joint separated form the trans output flange. It would appear that all of the bolts came loose. And I've never taken them off since I've owned the car. The holes don't appear to be stripped, but I haven't gotten a good look yet. I'll do that tomorrow. When I get under it...

Make sure you the RIGHT Jack!
You didn't get any purdier the last time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 10 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #13

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

DOH! You have developed the fecal touch. Everything you touch turns to shit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You can reuse my bolts dude, no need to wait on a /6 transplant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

If you need a flange I am sure I have one.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post May 10 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

CV failure is a rite of passage for the 914 owner. It happened to me twice, and then I safety wired them on and it hasn't happened since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 10 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #15

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 10 2007, 09:47 PM) *

CV failure is a rite of passage for the 914 owner. It happened to me twice, and then I safety wired them on and it hasn't happened since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have NEVER had a CV bolt that I've installed EVER come loose or off. Only once have I safety wired a set of CV bolts, and only then because the fool was willing to part with an obscene amount of money. I buy a LOT of CV washers. Many of the cars we service at the shop don't even use washers, BTW, and they STILL don't come off. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 11 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #16

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 10 2007, 11:54 PM) *

I have NEVER had a CV bolt that I've installed EVER come loose or off. Only once have I safety wired a set of CV bolts, and only then because the fool was willing to part with an obscene amount of money. I buy a LOT of CV washers. Many of the cars we service at the shop don't even use washers, BTW, and they STILL don't come off. The Cap'n

I am in agreement with the Capt'n. If you put the CV bolts in with the proper backing plates, the proper schnorr washers and use the proper torque spec they will stay on.

I tried all sorts of fixes for this over the years, then I went to the book and followed the directions of the engineers. Thems some smart guys.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post May 11 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #17

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2007, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 10 2007, 11:54 PM) *

I am in agreement with the Capt'n. If you put the CV bolts in with the proper backing plates, the proper schnorr washers and use the proper torque spec they will stay on.

I tried all sorts of fixes for this over the years, then I went to the book and followed the directions of the engineers. Thems some smart guys.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just for reference, what is the torque spec?
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 11 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #18

Mike Ginter

Preliminary investigation by just reaching under the car with a bolt and trying the holes indicates that the output flange may have two bolt holes that are stripped. At least the bolt won't start in two holes.

I'm going to have to do the "move everything out of the garage" thing so I can use the lift. I'm still not ready to use jackstands just yet. I'll put the joint back on with the two good bolts and roll pins so that I can run the car enough to get it up my steep driveway.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 11 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #19

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(John @ May 11 2007, 09:23 AM) *
Just for reference, what is the torque spec?

According to the 914 Tech Spec booklet: 4.3 kgf*m

Working on a conversion now...
+Quote Post
John
post May 11 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #20

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(Gint @ May 11 2007, 08:23 AM) *

Preliminary investigation by just reaching under the car with a bolt and trying the holes indicates that the output flange may have two bolt holes that are stripped. At least the bolt won't start in two holes.

I'm going to have to do the "move everything out of the garage" thing so I can use the lift. I'm still not ready to use jackstands just yet. I'll put the joint back on with the two good bolts and roll pins so that I can run the car enough to get it up my steep driveway.

You do realize that two of your holes are for roll pins and not for bolts?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:33 PM