Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carpet for my '74
Rav914
post May 11 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #1

All-weather fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

I read through all six pages and checked out every thread on carpet. But none address, unless I missed it, the carpet color in the picture below.

The interior is from the '74 1.8 I just bought from the original owner. This is the carpet that came with the car and I can't find a match anywhere. The actual color is a little darker than pictured, as what 's exposed has faded a little over time. Also, there are threads throughout the weave that are slightly lighter giving it a two-tone effect, similar to sliverknit.

I want to replace the carpet due to age and it smells a little musty. I've struck out everywhere. World upholstery says it's aftermarket because the backing is unlike any they have in stock. The backing is clear, by the way. I doubt this is aftermarket as the woman I bought it from bought this car right out of college and drove it sparingly. The only mod is the period ADS speakers in the doors and the Concord stereo cassette player (that felt like a kick in the teeth when I saw those). Plus the degree of fading convinces me it's the original stuff.

Anyone have an idea on what would be the best match? World Uph has a nice tan color but I dig the original stuff. Which is why this forum is great!

Thanks

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 11 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I think you are correct. It is original, not aftermarket. Have you tried Autos International yet? If not, give them a call. They will send samples of what they have.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post May 11 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #3

All-weather fan

I'll drop them a line. Thanks.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 31 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

we have original factory kits of this exact exact factory carpet in stock.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 31 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 11 2007, 11:33 AM) *

I read through all six pages and checked out every thread on carpet. But none address, unless I missed it, the carpet color in the picture below.

The interior is from the '74 1.8 I just bought from the original owner. This is the carpet that came with the car and I can't find a match anywhere. The actual color is a little darker than pictured, as what 's exposed has faded a little over time. Also, there are threads throughout the weave that are slightly lighter giving it a two-tone effect, similar to sliverknit.

I want to replace the carpet due to age and it smells a little musty. I've struck out everywhere. World upholstery says it's aftermarket because the backing is unlike any they have in stock. The backing is clear, by the way. I doubt this is aftermarket as the woman I bought it from bought this car right out of college and drove it sparingly. The only mod is the period ADS speakers in the doors and the Concord stereo cassette player (that felt like a kick in the teeth when I saw those). Plus the degree of fading convinces me it's the original stuff.

Anyone have an idea on what would be the best match? World Uph has a nice tan color but I dig the original stuff. Which is why this forum is great!

Thanks

Though the pic does not show any closeup wear, it looks like your carpet just needs a little cleaning. Problem is, with light colored carpet, heel marks & dust take thier toll. Have some recommendations before you trash what could be beautiful, orginal carpet.

1. A product called Hot Shot. Use it for the stains & blackish marks. Works well & you should have it for use around the house too - really good stuff. Get it at Walgreens.

2. Either purchase a steam cleaner (try SEARS) or have a good detail guy steam clean the carpet, after removing stains. You won't believe the difference!

As to the musty smell, it'll probably go away with a good airing out. Otherwise, and remeber, this is an OLD car - maybe older than you are! They get a little musty smelling - it's like an interior, nasal patina. So long as you don't smell fuel or oil, you're OK.

Would love to pics of the exterior, because it looks like a real find.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 5 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

You Sir may be in LUCK...

NOS on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ferg
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 5 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #7

Luck would mean a no reserve auction and a shortage of 914 owners needing tan carpet! This will be fun to watch.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jun 7 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #8

All-weather fan

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions. The pictures make the carpet look better than it is. I think I'll try a good cleaning first. I know a guy in town who does a great job on cars and is very reasonable. Should that not do it, a new set will do, but that'll be this winter as I want to drive now that summer is here!

Also, I was thinking of putting in custom squareweave carpet. World Upholstery's #1004 sample is almost spot on. I think that would look nice even though it's not original.

I did bid on that nice carpet set. My max bid didn't hold up for very long.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jun 7 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #9

All-weather fan

A couple of other photos. I've already rid the car of the dealer installed Rivi's for a set of original steelies. Still in the process of cleaning too. Waiting on calipers from the rebuilder, should be on the road in a week or so.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #10

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jun 7 2007, 07:43 PM) *

A couple of other photos. I've already rid the car of the dealer installed Rivi's for a set of original steelies. Still in the process of cleaning too. Waiting on calipers from the rebuilder, should be on the road in a week or so.

Looks lik a very NICE 914! Glad you rid yourself of the Rivieras.

Gas tank could use a little paint, but otherwise NICE!
Pat
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jun 7 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #11

All-weather fan

Thanks. I agree about the gas tank paint. That's on the list for the winter (which gets longer every day). I pulled the tank out to change the fuel lines and underneath it looked great.

The big ticket item for this winter will be hell hole rust repair. I'm already getting my list together and studying welding. Looking forward to tackling that.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 11 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #12

Someone scored! A complete set of rare tan NOS factory carpet for $436 that cost the seller $1283 in the 90's!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 11 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 11 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Someone scored! A complete set of rare tan NOS factory carpet for $436 that cost the seller $1283 in the 90's!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Hey Jim, How's that 12 treating you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) PM me...

Ferg
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:58 PM