Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> anyone one want to trade my car...for a running 1?, lol
DrifterJay
post Dec 7 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #21

I break stuff...

Group: Members
Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

ok here goes:

I did not remove the distributor, Bernie's son did though to check it out, and it is a volkswagon one, not ideal, but it should at least work

I never removed the starter, I only unplugged it to remove the motor, my work was double checked by once again, Bernie's son. In fact all my work was double checked, my valves, everything.

I removed the little wiring there was, I have no brain anymore in the car, it has Weber 40s so...everything was hooked back up, and was rechecked.

I did not rebuild the motor, in fact, I didnt even pull the tranny or fan off. Only the heads.

All new gaskets were replaced when needed, a new coil was put in as well as a new battery. The heads were torqued down as specified in the Haynes as well as the valve adjustments, and since we had turned the motor so many times, they were readjusted by Don (berns son). It turns over decently, no binding. The starter is a bit tired, but regardless, it worked prior to dropping the motor, 3 turn to the ignition max and it would fire. New plugs were put in, and I even played with some starter fluid, no go. Checked the grounds, all are a go. Tranny ground was filed down to get any grime of both cable, and bottom of trunk. I am probably just going to take it to Gervais Engine in Temecula and say get it tuned and running. I dont think I have any alternatives, I am beyond my skill level, anyone else want to look at it before I drop it off with someone?? Jared

hell I will pay someone gladly if they can get it running and tuned...I dont have much, 500 max to pay right now...cant keep the car nonop...

Jared (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 7 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I am from MA, where abouts are you located???

How far from Brad, How far from Otto's???

Rich
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 7 2003, 09:33 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I'd love to come down if I had the time. I'm sure it'd be running. How about towing it up to bay area? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
cha914
post Dec 7 2003, 09:50 PM
Post #24

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Jay, a couple of things to check real quick...all stupid stuff that you have probably checked already...

First off, you said it won't start, is it spitting/farting back through the carbs alot? Can you smell fuel? Is it turning over fast or slow? Does it sound like its going to catch or just spins and spins? What do the plugs look like?

Distributor, you said you didn't remove it, but did you move it at all...I had one that was 180* off and the thing just farted and spit, but wouldn't start.

Also, double check the spark plug wires, are they going to the right holes?

If you are spraying starter fluid in the carbs and the car still won't fire, then you arn't getting spark to the plugs...

Also, put some jumper cables on that battery and give it some help if it is turning over slowly...its a carbed car, you need air, fuel and spark...just take it step by step and you will get it started.

To me it sounds like you either are not getting spark (or plugs are badly fouled), or your timing is WAY off...

HTH,

Tony
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Dec 7 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #25

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

The plugs are new and are getting spark the fuelpump works. checked TDC with a plug out to check the Dist. set the points checked the valve adj. which was ok had battery charger on the batt. Jared needs to work on the throttle linkage as it is all screwed up. But it should start!!!!

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
cha914
post Dec 7 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #26

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

did you pull the plugs after trying to start several times? I have seen plugs foul very quickly, actually happened to me not too long ago...had to pull them out and wire brush them off before the car would start properly...

Still didn't answer: what was the car doing when you try to start it? spitting/poping back through the carbs? just spinning the motor? etc... more details will help us have an idea of what is not working properly...

Tony
+Quote Post
skline
post Dec 7 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #27

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I had offered to come out and make it run. I still extened the offer but I do not think I will be able to get out there till mid week sometime. It would also have to be during the day, maybe morning late. Let me know Jared. I am almost sure I can make it run.
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Dec 7 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #28

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737

thanks Skline..will get to you through pm...
+Quote Post
seanery
post Dec 9 2003, 07:56 AM
Post #29

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Did I just read that you broke your CHT?
+Quote Post
2teeners
post Dec 9 2003, 08:23 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 78

why don't you check the voltage across the coil while you turn the engine over. The starter might be sapping all the available power so there's not enough poop in the coil to fire it.

I have a motorcyle like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 05:45 AM