Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Smoke on Startup, 3.0 CIS six
brilliantrot
post May 15 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,699

My dad is uprgading from his 912E to a 75 911s with a CIS 3.0 as an autocross car. He is doing this because he is tired of loosing to my 914 and because he cant mod the 912E due to Smog because it is a 76. My question is the motor puffs a rather large cloud of smoke out the exaust on startup concistantly hot or cold but has a totally clean exhaust while running and reving. What would cause this? the motor is supose to have about 30K on it and AASE Motors verifies that the wear on the engine looks to be about this milege while they were replacing the head studs. The only thing that i can come up with is that when the motor is not running some of the 11 plus quarts of oil sitting above the engine runs back filling up the bottom of the engine up to the pistons with some oil leaking past the rings. Is this possible? It makes sence to me because the oil tank gadge goes up (reads more oil) once the engine is started and the massive scavenge pump kicks in. Have any of you 914-6 guys experienced this? Would moving the oil tank to the front solve this? My dad is realy bumbed about this smoke because this engine alone costs more than the entire 912E. Makes one realy appriciate the simplicity and reliability of the T4. I do not know if it makes a difference or not but it is baised on a 3.2 case with the Carrera pump.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:43 AM