Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shifter bushings, larger bushings
Tom
post Jun 2 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

After putting new bushings in the trans bracket for the shifter rod, I still had a lot of slop. Taking it apart and measuring found the following. New Bushings are 0.600 inside dia and 0.815 outside dia. My bracket hole for the bushing is 0.830 and my rod is 0.588. Made another bushing for the rod that is slightly larger. Will get back later to let all know how it turns out.
Also made a couple of bushings for the yoke at the fire wall. Press fit and hone to fit pin. This tightened up that area very well. I used a white delrin material to make the bushings out of as this material is supposed to be good for this type of application.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Later,
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very cool, is the delrin you are using more plyable than the OE part so it is easier to install?
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jun 2 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

celcon (delrin) is typically stiffer

Tom?
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jun 2 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

After putting new bushings in the trans bracket for the shifter rod, I still had a lot of slop. Taking it apart and measuring found the following. New Bushings are 0.600 inside dia and 0.815 outside dia. My bracket hole for the bushing is 0.830 and my rod is 0.588. Made another bushing for the rod that is slightly larger. Will get back later to let all know how it turns out.
Also made a couple of bushings for the yoke at the fire wall. Press fit and hone to fit pin. This tightened up that area very well. I used a white delrin material to make the bushings out of as this material is supposed to be good for this type of application.

I got some bushings form ebay. They fit terrible. The holes were oval shaped. Some stated this is correct. I never used them. I will make my own bushings also. I will use a moly filled nylon. This is what I used on the console shift bushing. The console was worn so I bored it oversize. Made a bushing to fit and secured it with a snap ring.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=62845&hl=
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 5 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Well, the bushing went in and things work better. May not be perfect, but the best I have tried. Before I had a real difficult time shifting to first when at a stop. If I down shifted before coming to a complete stop , I could usually get first OK. Now works great either down shifting or at a stop. Makes for a much more pleasurable drive, that's for sure.
The delrin I used seemed to be a bit softer than the stock bushing material. Even with the outside Dia. larger, I was able to push the bushing in with my fingers. Made a big difference in the slop back there at the trans.
Yes, my hole was oval also. Addressed that by pushing up the bushing and putting 3 small nylon zip ties through the hole and zip tieing them off at the bottom of the oval. I wish I could post more pics , but I can't do that at work.
Thanks to Dave Hunt for the pics and posting them for me.
Because the material is softer, it may wear faster. I would do it anyway, as the shifting is greatly improved.
Tom
+Quote Post
Tom
post Oct 27 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Well, it has been over a year and the shifting is still great. Never a problem finding any gear and quick easy shifts every time.
Tom
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 9 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #7

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536

Hello 914 World... technically this is my first post if anyone is curious!

I recently purchased my 1972 914 with a converted 73 side shift transmission and a botched short shifter job where it only had 2nd, 3rd, & 5th gears(although 5th was very tough to find!), I've since installed a factory shifter and removed the spacer plate that was installed as part of the previous owners modifications... although now I only have 2nd and Reverse (which is a pain to get into).

It goes without saying that I need new shifter bushings (and perhaps some alignment too?) so I figured I'd start there...

So my first question... is anyone making high quality bushings like those mentioned previously out of Delrin yet or would I have to ask a member here super nicely to run off a set for me?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

P.S. I've already experienced the challenging journey of shifter disassembly and reassembly... with race springs twice as stiff as the factory set, talk about shooting an eye out! YIKES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 9 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #8

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I got a complete set from Pelican and they fit tight and no issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 10 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #9

914Rubber.com!

Hmm well I see they have part number PEL-SKS914-03N which has a firewall bushing specifically for early 914s with sideshift so perhaps I'll go with that $48.40 set if there aren't any better suggestions?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg1.htm#item0
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

I bought some from AA a while back, although they were the aftermarket ones. They were a little loose for sure. The coupling ones I ordered from ebay, think they came from GPR if i remember correctly, and were some kind of softer graphite type nylon. Those worked very well. I think i'll make some out of oilight for the next ones, since I have access to a bunch of stock.
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 10 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Well, it has been several years now and shifting is still very good.
I used the delrin because I was having trouble finding oilite. An engineer at the shipyard told me most oilite applications were shifting to delrin.
NOMAD, you would need to take measuremeents for some one to custom make a set for you. Do you have any friends with a lathe? Otherwise new bushings from a supplier will make things better, just not best.
Tom
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 10 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom @ May 10 2010, 12:19 PM) *

I used the delrin because I was having trouble finding oilite. An engineer at the shipyard told me most oilite applications were shifting to delrin.
NOMAD, you would need to take measuremeents for some one to custom make a set for you. Do you have any friends with a lathe? Otherwise new bushings from a supplier will make things better, just not best.
Tom

Nothing wrong with Delrin at all. I just have access, so the price is right.
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 11 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #13

914Rubber.com!

QUOTE(Tom @ May 10 2010, 03:19 PM) *

Tom

Thats good to hear! Way for me to bring back your thread from two years ago right?!

I do have friends out of state who could potentially do a set but after hearing 914 owners relatively solid experience with the standard bushing sets I think I may just go that route for now and then upgrade to the whole crazy expensive Rennshift package down the road if I feel the desire to do so...

I did make time to jack up the 914 and inspect the bushings when I had 15 minutes earlier; sure enough what little was left of the pair of shifter coupling bushings totally fell out when I pulled back the firewall boot so there is ZERO bushing now. Fortunately the coupler itself looks good but the lack of bushing explains why none of the rearward gears were engaging at all!

The firewall and rear shift rod bushing have just a bit of slop, maybe .10" but I'll replace those too, I wasn't able to inspect the ball cup bushing inside of the inspection cover earlier since I was in a hurry and didn't want to crack it so I suppose I'll creep out to the car now and see what I can do. (Yes at 2:30am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

Otherwise the rear shift rod boot was split in 3 spots so I found an appropriate reproduction of the discountinued part #914-424-239-02 at JWest Engineering here:
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/linkage_914.htm
I presume they're a pretty reputable company to order from?

Lastly, the front shift rod boot is in decent shape and is correct to the 73-76 style linkage but doesn't match up at the firewall... I presume this is because 70-72 used a different firewall shift rod boot and because of that I'm betting there's probably no early/late hybrid boot like there is firewall bushing to seal it 100%? I didn't find one scouring the internet but correct me if I'm wrong.

And one more thing.... if I'm already ordering the bushings should I go order a set of the cone screws if my current set appears to be in good condition or skip them and re-use my originals? Also I should note by good condition, I mean the originals are still there... is there any reason to remove and inspect them for wear on the coned/pointed side?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 11 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Put in new cone screws. They have a nylon lock material on them that is a one time use item. If you try to put them in with locktite, you will regret it later when you have to take it back apart. BTDT.

FYI... The side shift console on Betty's 914 was so worn (it was a replacement) from missing bushings that it would not hold a new factory bushing. So I went to the hardware store and bought bronze bushings to fit in it. Between that and the u-joint replacement for the coupler, the shifting has never been better.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 11 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #15

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought the complete side shift bushing set from Pelican, and it works great. Been driving for a little of a year now, and no complaints. But, my holes were not ovaled out when I replaced them.

Zach
+Quote Post
Tom
post May 11 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Nomad,
Yes, I would replace the cone screws also. You don't want things to come loose at the wrong time.
I was pretty surprised to see this thread pop back up. I'm glad it had been some help to some members.
Put in the replacement bushings and see how they work out and then see where you need to modify anything.
I have a J-west boot for the rear console also. works great. You really need to keep the dirt and dust away ffrom the bushings there or risk excessive wear.
Tom
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 11 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #17

914Rubber.com!

QUOTE(Tom @ May 11 2010, 01:51 PM) *

Nomad,
Yes, I would replace the cone screws also. You don't want things to come loose at the wrong time.
I was pretty surprised to see this thread pop back up. I'm glad it had been some help to some members.
Put in the replacement bushings and see how they work out and then see where you need to modify anything.
I have a J-west boot for the rear console also. works great. You really need to keep the dirt and dust away ffrom the bushings there or risk excessive wear.
Tom

Okay great, I went ahead and ordered the full kit from Pelican (cone screws n all!) It also looks like I got the last hybrid shift rod bushing for the 72 Firewall/73 shifter linkage so perfect timing!

I ordered the J-West piece too, I suppose I'll just leave the front boot how it is for now since there's no easy way to seal it to the stamping on the early 70-72 firewall.

Otherwise any pointers or a guide to removing the plastic cover on the bottom of the transmission? I removed the clamp and pulled downward on the corner where the shifter linkage goes it and it moved a bit but I couldn't get the other sides to budge. I'd like to avoid cracking it since it looks like it's in pretty good shape, and leveraging against the transmission with a screwdriver to pry it off doesn't look like the best idea either? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Ideas?
+Quote Post
rwilner
post May 11 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #18

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

maybe try hitting it with a heat gun to soften it up?

Also, this thread will be useful when replacing your firewall bushing.
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 16 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #19

914Rubber.com!

Okay well everything arrived in short order and I've got it all in hand!

The rear plastic cover came off with just a bit of PB Blaster penetrating oil which immediately loosened up all the gunk and aluminum oxidation securing it in place. Rear cone screw is removed but now I can't seem to get the dowel pin out?!?

As I lay underneath my 914 now typing this via phone; I attempted the trick noted elsewhere here to have someone quickly move the shifter forward into 2nd while holding the rear ball cup segment in place. Unfortunately since the bushings at the other dowel pin further up are 100% gone it applies no substantial force and would be more likely to damage the aluminum piece...

Unrelated but I also just noticed two segments of fuel line in bad need to replacment... And yes my neighbors are used to seeing me work on cars at this hour; they're usually quite a bit larger though and less German than the 914 over me at the moment.

So perhaps there's a tool or trick to removing the 2 dowel pins that I've missed? Time to get this 914 back on the road! : ) Thanks everyone!
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post May 16 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #20

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819

Delrin is a great choice for bearings. I've used it for bushings that run pretty much continuously for 5 years.

Only failure rate that I've seen is too high a rotational speed can locally melt the material and you don't have that problem here.

Surprised it is a little softer. Acetal (Delrin) is rigid, kinda brittle and I have snapped slender parts with a lot of force. It's really dimensionally stable, unlike nylon which changes size and shape due to humidity.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:52 AM