Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shifter bushings, larger bushings
Dave_Darling
post May 16 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ May 16 2010, 12:05 AM) *

So perhaps there's a tool or trick to removing the 2 dowel pins that I've missed?

What dowel pins? With a side-shifter, you just remove the cone screw and wiggle the shift rod head off of the rear shift rod. Then you can slide the rod out of the side shifter console to replace the castellated bushing, and pull the shift rod head off of the gear selector to replace the cup bushing. No dowel pin removal needed.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 27 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #22

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 16 2010, 01:52 PM) *

So perhaps there's a tool or trick to removing the 2 dowel pins that I've missed?

What dowel pins? With a side-shifter, you just remove the cone screw and wiggle the shift rod head off of the rear shift rod. Then you can slide the rod out of the side shifter console to replace the castellated bushing, and pull the shift rod head off of the gear selector to replace the cup bushing. No dowel pin removal needed.

--DD

Heh correct... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I wasn't sure what I was dealing with until I totally got under there and tore everything apart. Clearly all this linkage hadn't been dismantled in quite some time so it took quite a bit more persuasion than a wiggle... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) but it really wasn't that bad!

But yes, thanks again for everyones advice, haven't had much time to work on the ole' 914 but the plan is to complete it today.

The new black bushings from Pelican at the aluminum yoke piece right behind the firewall fit exceptionally well and took a bit of ingenuity to press them in myself so thats now reassembled to the rear shifter linkage bar. I know this is the primary culprit as these bushings were missing entirely by the time I removed the boot concealing it; so the front rod & shifter would be fully in the Rev/1st or 4th/5th while it would only tilt the rear linkage bar a fraction of what it should have been.

The new Pelican rear rod bushing located where the black plastic access cover is, is better than the one I just took out but probably still .10" of slop so I could see a measurable advantage using Delrin as pictured in the first post.

The new Pelican cup bushing appears to be Grade A also; just a matter of forcing it on and surpasing the pressure of the air pocket created in there!

Otherwise it looks like the Pelican firewall bushing should fit snugly assuming I can ever get it installed! Tried boiling it in water to the point where air bubbles were rising from it within the Pyrex measuring cup and I swore it was going to melt but even then no luck since there's soo little room to swing a dead blow mallet or hammer under there, I just had a super hot bushing that didn't seem any more pliable!?

Soooo any surefire suggestions for getting the firewall bushing in would be handy; perhaps a tool I can craft to apply equal pressure to either side of the bushing before wailing on it with a hammer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 27 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #23

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

Soooo any surefire suggestions for getting the firewall bushing in would be handy; perhaps a tool I can craft to apply equal pressure to either side of the bushing before wailing on it with a hammer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Last time I did that 1,it slipped right in!.....or let a hot breath buddie........b (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 27 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #24

914Rubber.com!

QUOTE(Drums66 @ May 27 2010, 05:59 PM) *

Last time I did that 1,it slipped right in!.....or let a hot breath buddie........b (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Ha well the boiling didn't work but a huge bolt slid through a thick fender washer and then held on the other side with vice grips by myself while a buddy wailed on it with a hammer from the other side did it; and MAN now that it's installed there is ZERO play up, down, front, back or any other direction inbetween.

Everything else went smoothly as planned and the expensive JWest rear boot reproduction piece fits and functions as it should as well!

Currently it feels as if I definitely have 4 of the gears if not all 6 when just moving the shifter around but I don't intend to drive it until I revamp the fuel system that I realized the fuel hoses were on the brink of splitting open!

Although most importantly I didn't let the bushings beat me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Now... to start a fuel system thread to resolve those issues; after which I've gotta sort out why none of the auxilary gauges work! Back to work... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Jun 3 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #25

914Rubber.com!

Update: my 914 officially has all 6 gears functioning just as they should! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Highly recommend the Pelican kit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 7 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

It has been over 4 years with these installed and no problems at all. Just thought I would give an update as many winter projects are coming up and there will probably be lots of folks changing out bushings.
Tom
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Dec 7 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE(Tom @ May 10 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Well, it has been several years now and shifting is still very good.
I used the delrin because I was having trouble finding oilite. An engineer at the shipyard told me most oilite applications were shifting to delrin.
NOMAD, you would need to take measuremeents for some one to custom make a set for you. Do you have any friends with a lathe? Otherwise new bushings from a supplier will make things better, just not best.
Tom

Oilite is easy to find. I use McaMaster carr and I can get small amounts. However...

I think my bushings wear out too quickly. The next set will be with Derlin. I will see how this compares.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:38 PM