Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Markings
AvalonFal
post Jun 17 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't think this has been asked before but what's proper with the original manufacturing/assembly markings when doing a restoration. For example, the engine tin and rear control arms painted number markings. Should they be painted over and then somehow replicated new?? Or masked out and painted around them??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 17 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 17 2007, 09:10 AM) *

Don't think this has been asked before but what's proper with the original manufacturing/assembly markings when doing a restoration. For example, the engine tin and rear control arms painted number markings. Should they be painted over and then somehow replicated new?? Or masked out and painted around them??

Whewhh! Man, you have asked the $64K question. It's been addressed for the engine tin (with no resolution!), a well as some other parts, but never concerning the control arms.

The general consensus is that ......we have no idea what the purpose was & no way to determine if one marking is appropriate or not!

We've beaten this topic to death! Called in for responses from all the "greats". Gotten nothing of substance.

Think they were some kind of inventory control mechanism, but it's only conjecture. Think they were applied with crude rubber or wooden stamps, but only conjecture. We really have no idea. It's one of the wierd things that has eluded us. Unfortunately, the "guys on the line" are either dead or senile. I think we may never know.

For my money, I'd refinish over them. If you mask out around them, it will probably show. If you try to replicate them, they may not be the proper finish to suit a high level judge. I don't think there's any way to win this.

I know what my numbers WERE, but not they're purpose. Gave up tryingto figure it out after 15 years - painted over them.
+Quote Post
curtis
post Jun 17 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,206

the stamp on the trailing arms means "OK". The circle with the K in the middle meaning that it was inspected QAed by someone on the assembly line.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 21 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(curtis @ Jun 17 2007, 09:13 PM) *

the stamp on the trailing arms means "OK". The circle with the K in the middle meaning that it was inspected QAed by someone on the assembly line.

OK, sounds logical. But....what's your source for this info? Not trying to be negative, but there are a bunch of people who've been attempting to find the meaning of these marks. Got a source of info? Because we'd all love to talk to that person!

Need to get it right, or forget about it, because judges will ask.
Pat
+Quote Post
pin31
post Jun 21 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,492

Here's what I think:

If you restore a part (i.e. paint) the QA marking should be missing (after all you re-painted and Fritz was not there to stamp it).

Original always trumps restore.

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 21 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(pin31 @ Jun 21 2007, 05:59 PM) *

Here's what I think:

If you restore a part (i.e. paint) the QA marking should be missing (after all you re-painted and Fritz was not there to stamp it).

I don't think this "trumps" restore......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 21 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here's what I think:

I just found that on the left side of the engine tin & cleaned it up w/ Fantastic. Good to know to leave it alone.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 21 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(pin31 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:59 PM) *

Here's what I think:

Wrong (no slam intended).

You've apparently never judged, or paticipated in a national concours event (& I don't mean anything negative - just a learning experience). Because, restored will always trump original, even if it isn't perfect. Why, because it's clean & not cluttered with peeling paint & rust. These cars are "old". Someone please show me a pristine engine bay that hasn't been redone! Please! And when I say redone, I mean ORIGINAL, un-messed with, as it came from the Factory. No spot painting. etc - as it came from the Factory. Someone show me one (in concours condition of course)! Bet I can pick it apart, because I don't believe there are ANY original 914 engine bays left - prove me wrong!

Now, as to the QA markings - they can be replicated. But we need proof that they are original AND what te meaning/purpose is. I have no problem with replicating them, if it's documented as to its purpose.

Since there appears to be NO documentation as to the engine tin markings, et al, what proof can we supply to a decent concours judge that they are appropriate?
Pat
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 23 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2007)

Since there appears to be NO documentation as to the engine tin markings, et al, what proof can we supply to a decent concours judge that they are appropriate?
Pat

A picture is worth a hundred words.......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 23 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I just recently saw one of these white paint markings/stamp on a fuel tank.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 23 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 23 2007, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2007)

Pat

A picture is worth a hundred words.......

And your point is.............?
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Jun 27 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #12

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(curtis @ Jun 17 2007, 08:13 PM) *

OK!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 5 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #13

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This must mean that it's #1

Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Dec 5 2016, 06:41 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 20,138

Pat, beg to differ. Restored does not always trump original in concours judging and I have been a national judge and national concours judge (not Porsche though). Depends on the class. Preservation classes you would be wrong. Go to Pebble or Amelia Island or Bloomington Gold. You touch the car other than a basic detailed cleaning ( no surface alteration, just cleaning) and points are deducted. You make it sound like all unrestored cars are rusty dirty with pealing paint. If that is your true impression I question your concours judging (no offense). My cars have been in numerous high level concours events, they are unrestored, impeccably clean, no rust or chipping paint, 99% factory original. They have placed in class every time. The last national show I did my car got first in class against perfectly restored cars over $350,000. Two of the judges were from Pebble. They stated the condition of the car and being untouched ,not the rarity (1 of 400) caused the car to get first. It had been driven 97,000 miles as well. I will include a couple of pictures to show you that original cars can be in excellent conditions and in fact can and do beat pristine restored cars. There are concourse Preservation Class engine compartments out there. When I am done cleaning mine, mine will be one of them as well. Just remember. If it was not for the unrestored cars you would have no idea how they should look. Perfect concours cars and preservation cars are apples and oranges. Both have their place and following so I feel your comments are a little out of place (sorry). Just remember one thing. You can spend a million dollars on a restoration and still not have what a very nice unrestored car has. Authenticty. I do not put down pristine restored cars. I just defend the real onesAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Dec 6 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,138

Sorry. Added duplicate photo. Let me try again!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 16 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Saw this in a classified ad...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:09 AM