Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> "Hey, What year is that?", Tell us your stories.
Toast
post Jun 20 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

For two days in a row I have had people come up to me and ask the familiar line, "Hey, what year is that?"

Two days ago, I pulled into my driveway in the mountains and a Jeep Wrangler drove by. Then he stopped and backed up and asked me "What year is that?" Told him and he said he once had TWO of the same model as mine! He laughed and said "Mine used to smoke like that too." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Found out he lives on the next block!

Last night I was leaving Costco. Had my seat belt on, lights on, and was ready to back out. This guy ran across the parking lot and said those infamous words "What year is that?" Then the conversation proceeded as follows:
"Did you get a good deal on it?"
"Yes"
"Did you have to do anything to it?"
"I had it repainted and put new floor mats in it."
"It sounds great."
"Thanks."
" I Love These Cars. I've gotta run."

And he proceeded to run back across the parking lot.

I drove home with Permagrin. Well, mostly because I drive 20 miles of twisties to get home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
skline
post Jun 20 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

All of those people don't care what year it is, they all just want the chance to talk to you, didn't you know that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Jun 20 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107

Instead of the year, I had a guy pull up next to me at a stoplight and yell "Is that a Datsun"?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Last Friday at Whataburger... What year is that? Whata get for mileage?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #5

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have heard what people have said to others as I was driving by...

Son that is an Italian Porsche....

Hey, look, it is one of those 916 Carreras.....

There have been others, but those are my favorites.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,912

My favorite is:
"Is that a real one?"
I respond with "A real what?"

Mark
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jun 20 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,842

QUOTE(skline @ Jun 20 2007, 11:34 AM) *

All of those people don't care what year it is, they all just want the chance to talk to you, didn't you know that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I had the same thing a couple months ago at school. Some kid asked what year it was, and I told him. He seemed like he didn't really know what it was, but he liked it anyways. He's all, "those are really rare, huh." I was like, "I wouldn't say that, but they are old, and a lot of people aren't willing to put up with their quirks day to day." He told me it looked clean, even though the paint job is completely haggared. I was thinking, "yeah, right", but I thanked him and he was on his way. 914s definitely are a conversation starter, but the first line I usually get is, "Hey, is that thing fast?" My answer's always the same, "Depends one what road you're on."
BTW Toast, I like those roads too. I go play around up there on a regular basis. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Mark D.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 20 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

At a stoplight in my '71 .... "Hey, that's a classic isn't it?"

"Yeh, and so am I"
+Quote Post
Twise
post Jun 20 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

I had a guy pull into my driveway one day while I was washing my newly re-painted 74. He had to be around sixty or so. He took a quick look and said he had something to show me. Then he hopped in his truck and took off. He came back about an hour later and gave me a large manilla envelope. Inside was a good size stack of 1970's Porsche literature and some ads torn from magazines of the same time period. He told me his brother had been a real Porsche nut. He said that every time he drove past my house and saw me taking care of my car it reminded him of his brother. He said that it was a nice memory, and he thought his brother would want me to have the small collection of literature. I asked him if he would like to go for a drive, but he declined. I never saw the guy after that. Porsches are great cars and the coolest thing is the pure emotional response that they evoke. I alwas get excited when someone approaches me and my 914. I never grow tired of talking about it.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 20 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Wow... That's really cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I like hearing things like that.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 20 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

so, my dad and I were going to our local tennis courts (me playing varsity and such (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))...anyway, the courts are accross the street from a jewish (no offense) building/church, but they live there, so I dont know what it is...so we were parking, and a jewish guy comes up to our car, and gets in the way of me opening the door....almost a minute later, he moves, and as im getting my racquet out of the trunk, he says "what year is this", I respond with " '74". He says "its really nice...really really nice...too nice"...at this point, im very cautious of this man....and since we had no available court anyway, I watched him...the whole time (30 min?) he stood there admiring it...then he just left....weird, but I guess he really liked it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
another instance, 2 days ago, we are stopped at a light, and my dads on the phone, and a bum, i mean, really drunk-scruffy-bum (no offense to anyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)). comes up to his window and knocks...note the top was off, but he was bent over knocking on the window...and asks what kind of car it is....my dad responds "porsche"...the guy backs up, looks at the car (note him being in the middle of the street), then comes back to the window and asks "what is it"? My dad takes off....it was great.. --JON
+Quote Post
DerekKim
post Jun 20 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,635

The first day I bought my 73. My first fill up in fact. A lady comes from the gas station and asked me what it was. With a huge smile I said "A 1973 Porsche 914". She said it was a beautiful car and I finished filling my tank and off I went. It was great because for the first few weeks while eating I would park my car where I could see it. There were so many people that would stop and look or at least glance as they walked by.

It seems like most guys I talk to have owned one at one time or another in the past... does anyone else get this reply? Were there that many of these built that they could own one?
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 20 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #13

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm out driving the LE when a Ford F-150 passes me & suddenly screaches to a halt. I look in the rear view mirror & see this guy franticaly trying to turn his truck around. I keep on going & eventually pull into a 7-11. I come out of the 7-11 & the Ford is right next to Knikki & the guy is creaming in his pants. I ask if I can help him & he asks what year is she. Says he never saw one like that but remembers the cars & has a gift for me. I look at him like he's some sort of lunatic & say "ok?" He reaches into the back of his truck & hands me a jack to a 914-6. I recognized it immediately, but also knew my jack for the LE was in the back of my car & was completely different. He said he' been carrying it around for years & was waiting to see a teener to give it to them. I took it & said thanks. Years later when I went shopping for the six I noticed it was missing it's jack & didn't care. Used that to help lower the price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Jun 20 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #14

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904

The first time I drove mine to work I looked out the 2nd floor window as first shift left. There were about 7 people standing around it.

I like it when people ask what it is and I say Porsche, then I always get "is it fast?" I promptly answer no, and they always have a confused look on their face.

I also enjoy the look on peoples' faces at the gas station. They most think I'm pumping gas ON the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Jun 20 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,634

When I had my bug I used to get that all the time, even had a kid ask if it were a Porsche.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 20 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Kinda related. In college, 1975 or so, had a 1971 914. Parked outside of a bar. Guy sitting on the hood and I politely asked him to get off, it might scratch the paint. He complied and left.

Couple minutes later he drives over in his 911, shouts out "Sorry I sat on your car" and drove off. I can still hear him cackling, fading into the distance, to this day.

NARP indeed!

biz
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 20 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #17

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 20 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Kinda related. In college, 1975 or so, had a 1971 914. Parked outside of a bar. Guy sitting on the hood and I politely asked him to get off, it might scratch the paint. He complied and left.

Couple minutes later he drives over in his 911, shouts out "Sorry I sat on your car" and drove off. I can still hear him cackling, fading into the distance, to this day.

NARP indeed!

biz

Ahhrrrg! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ! This is exactly why I wound up the way I feel now. It would have killed me not to shoot his ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boom.gif)! Especially from an assdragger. You showed remarkable patience (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 20 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

TOO much patience...
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jun 20 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #19

I think anyone who sits on someone elses car shot get a quick kick to the butt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) .

Anyway, I love going out to the track and having the instructor come up and tell of their 914 stories. I swear that all the old race guys have owned one at one time in their life..... As they should.
+Quote Post
cantley914
post Jun 20 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #20

Pipeline surgeon

Member No.: 2,210

My 914 was bought in Germany by a Canadian doctor working on a Canadian Armed forces stationned in Germany in '73. When he came back to Canada, he brought back the teener with him. He sold it some time after and it ended up in my hands in '95.
He stills practices medecine and has an office in Ottawa, about 25 minutes from my place.
He doesn't know the car is still in existence and so close to him... I am trying to finish the retoration on the car, painting it back the original colour and will go visit him at his office, have him look through the window and ask him if this brings back old memories.
Can't wait to see the expession on his face... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Steph
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 10:37 PM