Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT Engineers / Scientists, How many are out there
OT Engineers / Scientists
Are you (by training) an engineer or hard scientist?
Yes [ 74 ] ** [72.55%]
No [ 28 ] ** [27.45%]
Total Votes: 102
Guests cannot vote 
914nerd
post Jun 20 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,461

Well, how many of you are there lurking out here on the world?
If you are one, what field, what do you actually do, and how do you like what you do?

This is prompted by a conversation that I had earlier today questioning the future of technical fields in this country.
What do you people think about the fact that science (arguably one of the most important aspects of modern life) is being shunned and, in many ways, is beginning to fall apart?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 71)
zymurgist
post Jun 22 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #61

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Apropos Charles's original question, I ran across this op-ed / appreciation for Don Herbert (a/k/a "Mr. Wizard," if you're old enough you remember him)...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/o...-oped-headlines
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 22 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #62

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Computer Science geek. Working in Aeronautics Research pretty much my whole career, which is just going on 20 years now.

I'm not Jake's enemy, but I am willing to question his understanding at times. Not his results (they do speak for themselves, after all!), but the reasons. Because I want to understand the reasons myself as well.

--DD
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Jun 22 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #63

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

BS Computer Science, software engineer since (yikes, 6 years now). It was an easy choice for me, loved hacking on my grandparents' computer when I was single-digit age range (nice, old console-attached Apple II)...and have loved it ever since.

Currently doing 100% contract work from home ~ working on .NET middleware API, Flash-based online collaboration tool, and my top-secret 914 site for newbies (like uh, me)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) FRIDAY! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanf
post Jun 22 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 5,435

BS Mechanical Engineering
MS & PhD in Biomedical Engineering.

Have been working for the last dozen years or so in the medical device world developing non-invasive technologies for neonatology and asthma management at startups. Cool field, cool people...can't complain.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 22 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #65

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I'm an MME

Mickey Mouse Engineer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

school'd to be an A&P aircraft mechanic....

fell into a position as a drafter/designer while being a fabricator.......

recruited to be a designer/engineer at a small start up in '98, still in business and still not making money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ....doing some ME stuff semi-conductor business related as well as some mickey mouse engineering which is my favorite...

+Quote Post
Allan
post Jun 22 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #66

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 22 2007, 03:19 PM) *

still not making money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Join the club bud... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brp914
post Jun 22 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #67

Unregistered

Have been working for the last dozen years or so in the medical device world developing non-invasive technologies for neonatology and asthma management at startups. Cool field, cool people...can't complain.

blah blah blah, what car(s)/bike(s) ya got? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanf
post Jun 23 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 5,435

QUOTE(brp914 @ Jun 22 2007, 07:36 PM) *

blah blah blah, what car(s)/bike(s) ya got? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

oh, the important stuff! '75 914 2.0, '74 914 2.0 (parts car) '05 Legacy GT 5MT, '03 Honda Pilot (family hauler)...I posted pics of my poor deceased 2000 323ci sport in the sandbox (wife forgot to put in gear on a hill and it rolled off a retaining wall) and I just sold my daughters 92 vw cabriolet (fun car, especially if you like to fix it every weekend)...
+Quote Post
swl
post Jun 23 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 21 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Apollo Computer

Long time since I heard that name! They were leading edge hardware back in the day.

Since soap boxes are the order of the day...

Science and engineering is not dead. There is a great crop of young adults coming out of our universities who still have the desire and drive to learn for the sake of learning. God love 'em!

But yes we (Canada as well) are being overtaken by offshore people. We are actually quite fortunate that their best and brightest choose to come here in search of the good life. Only can help our gene pool.

So why do we appear to be falling behind? Others have said it - it is how are kids are growing up. Start at home - are parents challenging our pre-schoolers to be curious about the world around them and how things work?

Then we get to school. Our curriculum has great ideas but who is delivering it? Look at the ratio of BAs to BScs in our teacher cadre. Not that I have anything against the arts but they don't have the passion for the sciences required to ignite the next generation. The oportunites for science minded people have been too great over the last generation(s) for them to dedicate themselves to lower paying teaching jobs. There is hope on this horizon as high bandwidth to schools allow for working scientists and engineers to share their passion for learning with students through video conferencing and such.

And finally - and I'll get my butt kicked for this - kids are not as driven as they were a generation ago (my dad probably uttered the same words). They are not as materialistic as we were. The work required to get their Engineering degree is just not appealing to many of them. Thank goodness this is not true of all of them and we still have people like 914Nerd to take up the challenge.
+Quote Post
Rick L
post Jun 23 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,116
Region Association: North East States

Not me, but my lovely wife...Mechanical Engineer
+Quote Post
akron_zip
post Jun 23 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 1,996

BSEE from "The University of Akron" [I also have a minor in 914World Lurking]

Design silicon fingerprint sensors for AuthenTec [www.authentec.com]

Have a 1974 1.8, mostly stock that will have a fingerprint identification system hacked in place of the ignition key someday [if workload ever reduces...at work right now running simulations on Saturday-late-afternoon]. Promise to post results with pictures when it's done.
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Jun 23 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #72

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107
Region Association: Southwest Region

Math Degree w/ a minor in Computer Sciences (back in the Fortran IV days). Found out early on that sitting in a cubicle is not what I wanted.

I've been the Region Sales Manager for a hand tool company for quite a while now. (see below)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:42 PM