Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa Tops, The differences between early and late
AZBanks
post Jul 19 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am building an early car (71) but I picked up a late (75) parts car.

I am moving all the glass from the late parts car to the early car.
Is it possible to just move everything for the top from the late car to the early car? Will all the latches and seals work if I move everything?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 19 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jul 19 2018, 05:37 PM) *

I am building an early car (71) but I picked up a late (75) parts car.

I am moving all the glass from the late parts car to the early car.
Is it possible to just move everything for the top from the late car to the early car? Will all the latches and seals work if I move everything?

The late top hardware probably won't all transfer to an early top, but if you want to try it, let us know how that worked (or not).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However, you can use the complete '75 top on your early car and it should work with the late doors/glass.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Jul 19 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

My plan is to swap all the hardware from the late body to the early body and then just use the entire late top.

What I was really wondering is if the hardware mounts on the body are different from early to late. If all the hardware mounts are the same, the swap should work perfectly.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 19 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jul 19 2018, 06:27 PM) *
What I was really wondering is if the hardware mounts on the body are different from early to late. If all the hardware mounts are the same, the swap should work perfectly.

That part should be the same. Post your results here ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dgrooover
post May 11 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,374
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2009, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Feb 15 2009, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Slick914 @ Feb 15 2009, 10:59 AM) *

This is good information. Maybe it would be better suited in the originality forum where it might be easier to find?

My 73 has an early top according to the info here. Is it possible that my 73 came with the early top or is it certain that it was replaced at some point in time? It seams to fit pretty good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

im pretty sure my 73 has an early top too... if thats the case then thats the way my car came.

'73 was a transition year. If you have a '73 with a early top, i suspect you also have the early windows and mechanism, as they go together.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

My 73 2.0 has Late windows and early top...Made in April 73....Im the second onwer and the first owner dosent remember much accept that he lost some hits of acid in the car at some point....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 11 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dgrooover @ May 11 2019, 02:00 PM) *

This is good information. Maybe it would be better suited in the originality forum where it might be easier to find?

My 73 has an early top according to the info here. Is it possible that my 73 came with the early top or is it certain that it was replaced at some point in time? It seams to fit pretty good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

im pretty sure my 73 has an early top too... if thats the case then thats the way my car came.

'73 was a transition year. If you have a '73 with a early top, i suspect you also have the early windows and mechanism, as they go together.

My 73 2.0 has Late windows and early top...Made in April 73....Im the second onwer and the first owner dosent remember much accept that he lost some hits of acid in the car at some point....

The good thing about your situation is there are a quite a few people with big stashes of tops and you should be able to find the right one for your car. You may even find someone in the opposite situation and set up a trade.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post May 11 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

I have a few late tops available
+Quote Post
gtbarnes
post Jan 17 2021, 05:10 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,111
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 11 2019, 01:19 PM) *

I have a few late tops available

I think the only difference that makes a difference is the channels(molded into the top or flat/no channels) for the rear seal. They are very different at the end "legs" of the rear seal and i dont think the aftermarket ever properly addressed that correctly. round end seals with molded in plates on 1 type and an all flat all rubber seal on the other type. And that was done to try to correct leak complaints or just to make it cheaper...or both.
+Quote Post
zoomCat
post Feb 8 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,526

QUOTE(dgrooover @ May 11 2019, 01:00 PM) *

The official word from the factory manual.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Feb 9 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,790

I have 2 tops for my resto and I was just looking at 914 Rubber today for seals and found out there was an early and late top. So now I know that both my tops are late tops. Great info, thanks.

So if you're wondering why I need 2 tops I have 2 sets of bumpers: one chrome and one black. My 2nd top has been sanded smooth and I will paint it the same as the black bumpers. Now and can change up the look of the car in about an hour.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 1 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 12,023

QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 9 2009, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ May 26 2014, 05:19 PM) *

Looks like it's early on left and later on right.

If I'm not mistaken.

Was this ^^^ fully confirmed?

Also, as established from the manual, 73 cars starting from VIN 4732926222 (July 4th, 1973) used the late top, whereas early 73 cars (most 73s) had early top, yet with late window mechanism. This has been correlated by many owners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Do early 73 cars (with early tops) have the early or late rubber bumpers, any validation on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I have two early and two late tops all with short and tall bumpers on each pair, so no way to validate any of this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 1 2023, 05:45 PM
Post #32

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 1 2023, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 9 2009, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ May 26 2014, 05:19 PM) *

Looks like it's early on left and later on right.

If I'm not mistaken.

Was this ^^^ fully confirmed?

Also, as established from the manual, 73 cars starting from VIN 4732926222 (July 4th, 1973) used the late top, whereas early 73 cars (most 73s) had early top, yet with late window mechanism. This has been correlated by many owners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Do early 73 cars (with early tops) have the early or late rubber bumpers, any validation on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I have two early and two late tops all with short and tall bumpers on each pair, so no way to validate any of this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

In addition to the rubber bumpers being a in different width at the top the rear targa latches are different. The distance between the bums is different.
Best indicator of early or late is the rear latch as it is not likely to get swapped out. It a quarter fits between the bumps of the latch it is early. It a nickle fits it is late.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 1 2023, 05:46 PM
Post #33

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Oops
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 1 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,023

Yes Bruce, you have a nice picture of that in another thread. Should be added here.

But what about the rubber bumper? Is the tall one the early? Can this be confirmed? Also, are early 73 cars having the early top fitted with the early bumper (I would assume so, but…)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:35 AM