Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 pliers, Did some LEs' come w/ them?
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 25 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lo & behold, I'm going through my Dads' plier collection when I find these- (see below). One set looks exactly like 914-4 pliers, as in "dead on", & the other is labeled "Crown Cut Germany" in a circular fashion. The Crown Cut one has a straight edge screwdriver for one handle end & a pointed handle on the other. I'm thinking 63 VW Beetle on the Crown Cut & the other set obviously came w/ the LE- where else could these have come from? Yes, Pop bought both cars in his lifetime & they were the only German cars he ever owned, sort of. He once also owned a 67 Volvo 144-S & a 71 Mercury Capri. The Volvo is'nt German but might have had German tools in its tool kit & Capris' were built in Germany. Thoughts?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Jun 26 2007, 08:25 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 25 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Other side shot:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 25 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 25 2007, 12:36 PM) *

Lo & behold, I'm going through my Dads' plier collection when I find these- (see below). One set looks exactly like 914-4 pliers, as in "dead on", & the other is labeled "Crown Cut Germany" in a circular fashion. The Crown Cut one has a straight edge screwdriver for one handle end & a pointed handle on the other. I'm thinking 63 VW Beetle on the Crown Cut & the other set obviously came w/ the LE- where else could these have come from? Yes, Pop bought both cars in his lifetime & they were the only German cars he ever owned. He once also owned a 67 Volvo 144-S & a 71 Mercury Capri. Thoughts?

Al, JB, at al.,

A Capri isn't a German car?

I have a couple of these similar looking pliers & not certain where the came from, though I've owned almost nothing that wasn't German, except the hotrod Mopars when I was a kid - & they sure didn't come from those! Have to check.

My grandfather was totally German & they may have come from him. Dad was totally American - not from him. I inherited so many tools, screws, bolts etc. Pretty sure I have something like you're showing, but my German grandfather was a mortician & can't image (or don't want to) what he would use those for. I'll do some searching though.
Pat
+Quote Post
nola914
post Jun 25 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,440

I still have the pliers from my 60's vintage bug I had in college. They look like the top pair (no screw driver handle).
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 26 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

No pliers in my original LE tool kit...They were probably picked up at a swap meet.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 26 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 25 2007, 11:08 PM) *

A Capri isn't a German car?

Sorry Pat, it is. Built by Ford Germany & exported to the US for sale here. All the old Capri's were built in Germany. For the time, they were tiny cars compared to the rest of the Mercurys available & could not be built on the "tank", "cow" or "land yacht" assembly lines of the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . From the Ford Media page: "1971 Mercury Capri: The German-built Mercury Capri made its debut in 1970 as a 1971 model. Named the 1971 "Import of the Year," the Capri was an affordable, sexy little sports car. Given numerous options, consumers could custom-build their Capri and still enjoy an affordable price."
link- http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=15319

I know for a fact that my LE tool kit did not come w/ a hubcap puller. First time I saw one I remember asking what the hell it was. It did come w/ a black reversable screwdriver, which is now cracked, one 13/10mm wrench, marked DIN 895 & no Hazet on the other side, lug socket & bar & apparantly a set of 914 pliers. Attached photo shows my kit, including tow eye & Hirscheman key. Bag & rubber band have long since returned to the elements & I'm working on a replacement from AA.

All I can think of is either factory inconsistancies or dealer meddling. I've seen the Crown Cut pliers all over eBay, they are antique & very common for Ferrari, Simca, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, etc... Actually saw a pair listed for $149.00! I may have seen them as well included in some older 356 tool kits. The 914 pliers are common in older VWs as Nola914 mentioned above, but if they came w/ the 63 Beetle where did the Crown Cut pliers come from? I've been surfing on line trying to get info on 144S tool kits & have no idea if Capris came w/ a tool kit & have seen & found very little. For now, the pliers are staying in the LE w/ everything else.

PS- I'm Polish/Spanish/Italian, no German heritage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). If I had Irish in me I'd be a "super catholic" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 26 2007, 07:12 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2007, 02:10 AM) *

No pliers in my original LE tool kit...They were probably picked up at a swap meet.

Jeff- the old man never went to a swap meet in his life. When I was old enough he sent me out & I did all the junkyard shopping we needed. I never picked up those pliers. I found a BMW tool kit out of an old Alpina once, held on to it for 20+ years & sold it on eBay 2 years ago for $300.00+ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 26 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #8

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 26 2007, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 26 2007, 02:10 AM) *

Jeff- the old man never went to a swap meet in his life. When I was old enough he sent me out & I did all the junkyard shopping we needed. I never picked up those pliers. I found a BMW tool kit out of an old Alpina once, held on to it for 20+ years & sold it on eBay 2 years ago for $300.00+ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Hi Johny,

In one of your posts you say your screwdriver (black) handle is cracked. Send me your address & I'll send you a replacement from my spares.

Tom
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 26 2007, 07:33 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 26 2007, 09:20 AM) *

Hi Johny,

In one of your posts you say your screwdriver (black) handle is cracked. Send me your address & I'll send you a replacement from my spares.

Tom

PM sent & Thank You!!

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 27 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #10

I believe I have an answer & the answer is no, LEs' did not come w/ pliers. Today I found a Hazet 13/10. The one I thought came w/ the LE, marked DIN895 & no Hazet on the back must be, along w/ the pliers, from my Pops' 63 Beetle. So off they go into my makeshift toolkit for the six, which came w/ none (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .

+Quote Post
nola914
post Jul 17 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #11

Johnny:

I hate to show my ignorance... but what is a "Hirscheman key"? And what does it do?

I've been fooling around with 14's for 10 years, and I've never heard that name. I guess there is always something new to learn.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 18 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(nola914 @ Jul 18 2007, 12:57 AM) *

Johnny:

I hate to show my ignorance... but what is a "Hirscheman key"? And what does it do?

I've been fooling around with 14's for 10 years, and I've never heard that name. I guess there is always something new to learn.

Hirscheman is the name of the company that provided radio antennas for Porsches. If your car had a radio put in @ the dealer then they also installed a Hirscheman antenna & w/ every antenna comes a key. I guess it's a safety or don't fuch w/ me feature, in that the antenna is pushed down all the way to the closed position & screwed shut. You have to use a little screwdriver to unscrew the antenna in order to pop it back up- the key is a little screwdriver.

In the photo below are 2 Hirscheman antenna keys. The one on the left in the plastic bag is a modern key you'd get today if you bought a Hirscheman antenna. The one on the right is also a Hirscheman key, but it's from the 60s' & early 70's.

As for ignorance I show mine all the time- it's how you learn. Someone here has in their signature "if ignorance is bliss them I'm a blister" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Hope that helps.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nola914
post Jul 18 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Hey... thanks. Like I said, I learn something new every day. I hadn't even thought about the antenna.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:17 PM