Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aux Air Regulator Failure Modes
customstarr
post Jun 28 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #1

King of the Nighttime World

Group: Members
From: Waterford, Michigan - Home of Waterford Hills Road Racing
Member No.: 7,531

I think that I'm having a prob with my AAR. Idle fluctuates up and down (1000+ RPMs down to near stall) during a cold start - it continues the up/down cycle for a few minutes then it's fine.

This morning during a cold start, I pulled & plugged the hose from the AAR to the Intake Boot (plugged the intake also) and the idle stabilized - granted the idle was low, but it did stop the up/down fluctuation.

From Anders site, I was under the impression that the regulator would either stick open or closed, causing a high or low idle respectively. Mine seems as if it won't stay open consistantly during a cold start - it's like it's opening and closing & causing the idle fluctuation.

Has anybody experienced this same condition?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 28 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Take it out and do a simple bench test. I put mine into the fridge for a 1/2 hour. Pull it out and see how far the hole is open. Mine goes to 30-50% open. Then I hook the AAR to the battery and see how long it takes to close off the hole. Mine take from 1 1/2 min to 2 min. If it just closes with power applied it works.

Your description sounds more like a vacuum leak. Been there too; I ended up installing a VDO vac gauge in the engine compartment. It gets T'd into one of the lines going to the plenum. Mine averages 10-12 lb at idle. Any leaks and it drops alot.

Good luck.

+Quote Post
customstarr
post Jun 28 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #3

King of the Nighttime World

From: Waterford, Michigan - Home of Waterford Hills Road Racing
Member No.: 7,531

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 28 2007, 06:58 AM) *

Take it out and do a simple bench test. I put mine into the fridge for a 1/2 hour. Pull it out and see how far the hole is open. Mine goes to 30-50% open. Then I hook the AAR to the battery and see how long it takes to close off the hole. Mine take from 1 1/2 min to 2 min. If it just closes with power applied it works.

Your description sounds more like a vacuum leak. Been there too; I ended up installing a VDO vac gauge in the engine compartment. It gets T'd into one of the lines going to the plenum. Mine averages 10-12 lb at idle. Any leaks and it drops alot.

Good luck.

Thanks. I don't have any vac leaks - checked that a long time ago. Like I stated, when I remove & plug the AAR line from the intake, the idle stabilizes.
+Quote Post
highways
post Jun 28 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,296

I am experiencing the same fluctuating problem. Idle ocillates betwee 1,200 Rpm and like 600. Re-did all the vacuum lines at this point.. I think there's little chance of a significant leak right now. Other then that- I don't know where to begin. I did buy a complete D-jet setup so I can start swapping out parts and hopefully find it.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 29 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Failure modes for the AAR:

1: Freezes open, so you get normal idle when cold and rather high idle when warm.
2: Sticks partway open, so you get low idle when cold and high idle when warm.
3: The heater doesn't work (broken filament or wire, or unplugged) so you get normal idle when cold, high idle when partly-warm, and after a looong while normal idle when good and warm.

They usually don't stick closed--and the partway open thing is also pretty rare. #1 and #3 are the typical failure modes.

Sounds like you have a lean mixture, causing an "idle hunt". If your car is a late 71, try tweaking the knob on the ECU a few clicks clockwise. If not, try unplugging the intake air temp sensor on the manifold to see if that makes a difference. (That one should richen the mixture a little across the range.)

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 03:58 PM