Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winning a Concours: Available Products, Will the heavies weigh in and spill their secret favs?
914-8
post Jul 16 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

Hey paul, I just saw an ad for Griots, for their whole Porter Cable polishing kit. Comes with the Griot's random orbital (which is a rebadged Porter Cable), the right waxes, polishes, pads and some other things. It's their part no. 11119 "Machine Polish and Wax Kit," with the Promotion Code the kit is on sale for $199. Not too bad.

If you're interested, the promotion code you need is ADR4.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 17 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #22

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 16 2007, 11:52 PM) *

I don't recommend this for those who have allergies to peanuts, or any other land nuts!

Ya know, sometimes my ignorance even astonishes me. This is an unbelievably valid point that never occured to me. People are allergic to peanuts & this could very well be dangerous for them. This really never occured to me & I sincerely apologize for my flagrant ignorance.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 23 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 14 2007, 07:50 PM) *

The targa top- reconditioned? Then wax it. If not, go get it reconditioned. Wax turns pure white on an old targa top. However now that I think about it peanut butter would probably be OK for the top (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

BTW- this does not mean cover your rubber w/ wax... why would you do that? Just more work right? Think lazy!

One find which I came across is a product called "Black Restore" made by "bondo". It has the consistency of a thick cream (black) that goes on slick (perhaps to slick as you do want to be careful not to get it on paint/trim/rubber as it is a pain to remove). Wear is acceptable with 4 to 5 heavy rains before it needs to be redone.

Replaces my prior favorite black top paste wax made by Turtle Wax that is no longer made.

+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 23 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 14 2007, 05:40 PM) *

OK, what about what Pat said about removing lights and door handles and mirror? Worthwhile? Do I tape exposed areas (like the light bulbs and backing)? What kind of tape?

Thanks again. I'm thinking of doing this on my own!

Paul

See if you can find something on line... type in random orbital buffer into Google & see what pops up. I have a Sears, but its going on 26yrs old now & they don't make them that good anymore.

Take off the mirror, it's easier than going around it or taping it off. I think lazy. Pop your engine lid, wrap some newspaper around it as best you can, close & the grill is now protected from wax. I never thought of using any peanut product on the grill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . Probably best to remove the wipers as well. Disconnect your battery & pop up your headlights manually, (knob), & once they're up take off the shrouds around the headlights. If you have black sail trim tape it or take it off.

The targa top- reconditioned? Then wax it. If not, go get it reconditioned. Wax turns pure white on an old targa top. However now that I think about it peanut butter would probably be OK for the top (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) .

I have no fear of wax on rubber as you all know so do what you will w/ your bumper tops. Also realize that after you wax your car is covered in dust from the wax so it's time to wash again, ergo no insect or peanut smell problem from using peanut butter. Laugh all you want but plan on eating crow the 1st time you try it.

BTW- this does not mean cover your rubber w/ wax... why would you do that? Just more work right? Think lazy!

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 23 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #25

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 17 2007, 07:37 AM) *

I don't recommend this for those who have allergies to peanuts, or any other land nuts!

Ya know, sometimes my ignorance even astonishes me. This is an unbelievably valid point that never occured to me. People are allergic to peanuts & this could very well be dangerous for them. This really never occured to me & I sincerely apologize for my flagrant ignorance.

Al,

I don't have an allergy to peanuts. My problem is that I love peanut butter so much I'd probably lick it all off, maybe with a touch of naval JELLY!

Pat
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 23 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 23 2007, 12:17 PM) *

One find which I came across is a product called "Black Restore" made by "bondo". It has the consistency of a thick cream (black) that goes on slick (perhaps to slick as you do want to be careful not to get it on paint/trim/rubber as it is a pain to remove). Wear is acceptable with 4 to 5 heavy rains before it needs to be redone.

Replaces my prior favorite black top paste wax made by Turtle Wax that is no longer made.

I'm down to my last unopened can of the Turtle Wax stuff, so I guess I'd better look for the Black restore product. BTW, I've had really good luck with the TW stuff on the bumper tops too, though you have to rub like the devil to get it off - lasts long time.

Pat
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 24 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #27

But....please! DO NOT put any form of paste wax on your bumper pads. They ARE porous & will suck it in. In fact, NEVER put wax, in any form, on your bumper pads - NEVER, EVER!. Jeez! Youn know what these things cost to replace? Guess how much longer you'll even be able to find replacements. Just respect the ones you have. If you put WAX on them, even once, write them off. I've seen it a bunch of times - may as well paqint them white.

Ah, but I have a cure!!! I have the mystery potion!!!
Pat

And just what is this mystery potion? Dr. John's cough medicine?
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 24 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #28

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 23 2007, 11:14 PM) *

Al,

maybe with a touch of naval JELLY!

Pat
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Blue or Pink? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW: post # 911 for me & anyone studying psycology will know now that "automotive racism" & "automotive sibling rivalry" is alive & well in me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 1 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #29

I have something new, though it's not an elixir, cleaning or polishing method, or a product to put on your 914.

How many times have you tried working in cramped spaces, without enough light? Throwing a shop light in the area means you have to keep adjusting the angle of the light, and it's always a klutzy things that's in the way.

This thing is called the LED Head (as in L-E-D). Sort of like a miners hat, without the hat. Lightwieght, fits perfectly on your head and is low profile. Has 12 LED's, which are switchable from 4, 8, or 12 lights. If only used it underneath the car, but can imagine it would be even more helpful working in the engine bay, interior, trucks, fender wells.

Several weeks ago, I had an airconditioning repairman working on my home systems. He pulled one of these things out to use inside the blower caninets and it was so cool I just had to have one. Best thing is - they're cheap! He hot his at Wall Mart for $7. I got mine at Wallgreen's, on closeout, for $2.99! Runs on 3 AAA alkalines, so you have to buy those too.

Looks a little funky to the neighbors, but all know we're crazy anyway!

Since I have absolutely zero pride, attached is a pic of the thing. It's VERY bright on short range, so I didn't aim the bulbs at the camera lens. I know I'll hear all kinds of crap about the pic, but this thing is handy. Get one!

Pat

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 1 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 24 2007, 08:34 AM) *

But....please! DO NOT put any form of paste wax on your bumper pads. They ARE porous & will suck it in. In fact, NEVER put wax, in any form, on your bumper pads - NEVER, EVER!. Jeez! Youn know what these things cost to replace? Guess how much longer you'll even be able to find replacements. Just respect the ones you have. If you put WAX on them, even once, write them off. I've seen it a bunch of times - may as well paqint them white.

Ah, but I have a cure!!! I have the mystery potion!!!
Pat

And just what is this mystery potion? Dr. John's cough medicine?

Nope, though I LOVE Doctor John!

No, the secret formula is, is, ummm, Armorall! "Yeah, that's the ticket" (John Lovett). Yep, slather that stuff everywhere - dash, tires, steering wheel, door panels, top...Oh, and don't forget the seats - use it liberally there. Yeah, the bumper tops too. In fact, it's great on the windshield - much better than Rain-X!

OK, this IS A JOKE! Note to all 914'ers - NEVER, EVER use Armorall on anything! ANYTHING!

Now, as to the REAL mystery potion......I can't tell, or I'd have to send Jack Bauer(24) out to "handle" you. That's why it's a mystery potion.

Pat
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 2 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 1 2007, 07:25 PM) *

This thing is called the LED Head (as in L-E-D). Sort of like a miners hat, without the hat. Lightwieght, fits perfectly on your head and is low profile. Has 12 LED's, which are switchable from 4, 8, or 12 lights. If only used it underneath the car, but can imagine it would be even more helpful working in the engine bay, interior, trucks, fender wells.

Several weeks ago, I had an airconditioning repairman working on my home systems. He pulled one of these things out to use inside the blower caninets and it was so cool I just had to have one. Best thing is - they're cheap! He hot his at Wall Mart for $7. I got mine at Wallgreen's, on closeout, for $2.99! Runs on 3 AAA alkalines, so you have to buy those too.

Since I have absolutely zero pride, attached is a pic of the thing. It's VERY bright on short range, so I didn't aim the bulbs at the camera lens. I know I'll hear all kinds of crap about the pic, but this thing is handy. Get one!

Pat

Wife bought me one last XMAS. It was a Brookstone unit, and I'm sure it was VERY $$$. She nuried the charge card statement from me, which was proof enough that it was far to much. Nice unit, lots of light. Try it is "strobe" mode whill you work. You'll be back to the '70's in a matter of minutes, tripping on something or other....

BTW, nice pic. <grin>
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 2 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 2 2007, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 1 2007, 07:25 PM) *

Pat

Wife bought me one last XMAS. It was a Brookstone unit, and I'm sure it was VERY $$$. She nuried the charge card statement from me, which was proof enough that it was far to much. Nice unit, lots of light. Try it is "strobe" mode whill you work. You'll be back to the '70's in a matter of minutes, tripping on something or other....

BTW, nice pic. <grin>

I'm a little disappointed. Figured if I put myself up as a foolish looking bloke, you guys'd pick up on it! Then again, I don't get out much.

Tried the strobe thing with the lights out in the garage. Made me wish I still had a bong! I swear I could hear Inna Godda Da Vida!
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 3 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #33

While preparing the 914-6 at the Parade past, a fellow competitor generously loaned me a solvent to attack sone grime off my rear valance (I missed cleaning the liquid tar I encountered during my trip west from the rear valance). It worked like a champ. I can recall the complete name. I wonder it you or some one else might know it. It was a 3M product, I beleive it was called "adhesive remover". It had a nasty (delightful?) smell. Evaporate almost as fast as I used it. Any idea what it might have been?
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 3 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 2 2007, 08:04 PM) *

I'm a little disappointed. Figured if I put myself up as a foolish looking bloke, you guys'd pick up on it! Then again, I don't get out much.

I didn't have the heart to respond. HOWEVER, if your that disappointed.... Naw, to easy a shot. <grin>.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Aug 8 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,610

#M makes this stuff simply called "adhesive remover". its awesome. Griots has it, but I bet its available at any auto paint store.
Konrad
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4,283

"Adhesive Remover"... sounds like Methyl Ethyl Ketone!

It will remove damn near anything, including your skin!!!

Better check the fine print! Very low Flash point (evaps very quickly!)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 23 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 23 2007, 08:44 PM) *

"Adhesive Remover"... sounds like Methyl Ethyl Ketone!

It will remove damn near anything, including your skin!!!

Better check the fine print! Very low Flash point (evaps very quickly!)

mmmmmm, MEK - donuts! mmmmmm, smell gud!

MEK will not only remove your skin (because it dries the oil very quickly), but it will destroy brain cells faster tha a 2 week binge on Jack Daniel's. Bad stuff, folks - be VERY careful & use a respirator around any MEK products.

Believe me! I worked arounfd MEK's for a bunch of years when I was a bench chemist for Kodak. Bad stuff.

Explains a lot, doesn't it? What? Doesn't what?. mmmmm, donuts!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 24 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #38

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Go AWAY! I told you we'd watch Tom. Don't make me call your wife!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 24 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #39

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I was a bench chemist for Kodak.

Hey Pat, did you by chance, know my Uncle? He many Kodak offices around the world... Gordon Miller.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 24 2007, 07:32 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 23 2007, 11:40 PM) *

mmmmmm, MEK - donuts! mmmmmm, smell gud!

MEK will not only remove your skin (because it dries the oil very quickly), but it will destroy brain cells faster tha a 2 week binge on Jack Daniel's. Bad stuff, folks - be VERY careful & use a respirator around any MEK products.

Believe me! I worked arounfd MEK's for a bunch of years when I was a bench chemist for Kodak. Bad stuff.

Explains a lot, doesn't it? What? Doesn't what?. mmmmm, donuts!

Finally we have an inside track on what it takes to be a serious CW....MEK glazed donuts!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:23 AM